forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 01 May 08 8:59pm

wee2john

Member since Thu 01 May 08

Soft Scoop Ice Cream

Does anybody know how to make soft scoop ice cream that is easily scooped when it is instantly removed from the freezer. I have tried a few methods such as a double cream base, a custard base. Any ideas, I would be a really appreciative. smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 01 May 08 9:59pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Re: Soft Scoop Ice Cream

Hmm I don't really know a recipe but what about putting the iceream into your fridge half an hour before serving. That's resulting in nice soft easy scooping icecream.

Hmm, maybe not what you wanted. Good luck though.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 02 May 08 3:28am

Punga

Occupation Student
From BC
Member since Thu 08 Jul 04

I made some fat-free frozen yogurt, only ingredients were red bean paste and yogurt, and it's nice and soft straight from the freezer...

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 02 May 08 7:29am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

If my memory serves me correctly, the soft scoop ice-cream is thickened using agar-agar, or a derivative of carragheen moss.

The other thing I remember is that soft scoop ice-cream has a higher proportion of sugars in it, which help to reduce its freezing point.

I can't recall, or find the actual recipe I had.

I can, however, also recall that the process for making Mr Whippy Soft Ice Cream was developed, in part, by Margaret Thatcher while at University!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 02 May 08 9:26am

wee2john

Thanks but does no body have an actual recipe. I have heard gelatin, glucose syrup, more sugar, yogurt and many other things work. So many things to try and experimaent with. Does anybody have a recipe for ice cream that uses one of the ingredients above. smile  question  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 03 May 08 10:27am

wee2john

I tried using more sugar and some glucose syrup and it kind of worked. But if I add more syrup and more sugar itr will be fine. Thanks for the help. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 04 May 08 2:12am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

GeoffP wrote:

I can, however, also recall that the process for making Mr Whippy Soft Ice Cream was developed, in part, by Margaret Thatcher while at University!

Ah, so now we know who to blame

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 07 May 08 8:10am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Simple soft-scoop ice cream
To make 1 litre

1 large can evaporated milk (approx 400ml), chilled overnight in the fridge
120g sugar (about 1/2 US cup)
1 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
(or other flavourings - see below)

Method:
Put the evaporated milk into a large bowl or food processor, and whisk with an electric whisk until it's very thick, with the beaters leaving a clear trail.
It takes about 30 seconds, usually, depending on room temperature and the effectiveness of the whisk.

Add the sugar and essence and beat that in too for a few seconds.
Transfer to an electric ice cream maker and churn for about an hour, then put in a plastic container with a lid and freeze.
No need to thaw before serving as the whipped evaporated milk makes it soft-scoop style.
If you don't have an electric churn, put the bowl in the freezer, then take it out after an hour and beat with a hand whisk.
Repeat this several times until it's firm.

Other flavours: for an excellent chocolate ice cream, mix a heaped tablespoon of cocoa powder with a little cold water, to make a smooth paste, then mix in a little more cold water to get to pouring consistency.
Add this after the sugar has been whisked into the evaporated milk, and stir gently with a metal spoon.
No need to mix in thoroughly, as the ice cream churn will do that.

For fruit ice cream, mash or purée about 100g fruit, and stir in after the sugar has been whisked in.
If you use bananas, use soft brown sugar rather than white.
Canned peaches work well (drain before mashing) as do raspberries.
Strawberries are better with a cream-based mixture

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 01 Jan 11 10:51am

hoppyhouse

Member since Sat 01 Jan 11

Hi,

On ebay there is a packet mix available that makes whippy ice cream. I have tried the mix, in my home machine, and it makes perfect whippy ice cream. smile

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 01 Jan 11 11:54pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

mad   puke  dribble

(having read the ingredients on the back of instant-type ice-cream packet mixes, I don't know how anyone can eat it)

Last edited by minerva (Sat 01 Jan 11 11:57pm)

Likes (0)