Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 07 May 08 1:25pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Simple and tasty roasted Aubergines

This is a veery simple and tasty recipe from mrs.Mary from Gytheio, Mani.

3-4 aubergines sliced thumb-sized pieces(I'm not sure if they are called eggplants or aubergines)
3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 parsley bunch
olive oil, salt, pepper

1. Preparation

If you have aubergines with seeds if you want you can remove them. Slice the aubergines in long thumbsized pieces, garlic finely chopped and parsley roughly chopped. About the parsley better use the leaves, only because they are more beautyfull.

2. Baking

In a large roasting tray add a bit of olive oil and spread it all over. Place the aubergine slices in a big bowl and add a bit olive oil, salt and pepper and rub them good in each side. Place every piece of aubergine in the tray the one next to each other(not over/under).

Bake for ~20 minutes each side at 180 C until soft and yummy. It needs quite time but it may be less than 20min each, depending on your oven.

3. Serving

In a big plate arrange the aubergines like in the photo, sprinkle with olive oil(allways extra extra virgin and organic if possible) and the garlic and parsley.

Photo here
http://mypalm.ath.cx/gallery/displayima … amp;pos=13
I love this simple recipe

Kostas

Last edited by dukegus (Wed 07 May 08 1:36pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 07 May 08 1:28pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Re: Simple and tasty roasted Aubergines

Hi dukegus

Nice and simple but so tasty

Nice one

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 May 08 12:54am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Hello Kostas,
                        I have cooked eggplant/aubergine in the oven before, but I have not cut the slices quite so thickly.  I cook them this way before putting into Moussaka or Eggplant Lasagne (don't like the time taken cooking in pan - also less oil used this way).  My family like eggplant, so I will try your recipe.  Thanks for posting and also the picture, because then you know what it is supposed to look like - very helpful.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 08 May 08 7:59am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

I agree that cooking in the oven uses less oil and is very tasty. Frying aubergines in olive oil is a very tasty way but the aubergines suck all the oil and become very greasy.

Plz try the recipe, it is very tasty and not so fat. Cut the aubergines big slices, considering that the will shrink a bit. If you want you can use garlic oil(garlic in a bottle with oil for 2 weeks) than garlic if you don't like garlic, but if you like it you will enjoy this recipe wink

Kostas

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 May 08 4:34am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia

It is "Eggplant by Kostas" this weekend  wink
Thanks for the tips

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 09 May 08 10:41am

PatrickSpriggs

Occupation 1st Year Apprentice Chef
From Brisbane
Member since Sat 29 Dec 07

this may be nice with the garlic roasted with the aubergine...

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 09 May 08 11:31am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

@PatrickSpriggs what you suggested reminded me of imam bahildhi(I'm not sure how to spell it in english) which roasted aubergines with topping of onion, garlic, tomato, herbs etc. Very tasty but very different too. If I make this recipe I will post it.

@Burkey You can have it as an appetizer better. Sometimes when it's the end of the month and my wallet has nothing in it I buy 2-3kg aubergines and for 2-3 days that's my breakfast, lunch and dinner....

Better use organic(biological) garlic or if you have in your garden it tastes so much better...I love garlic  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 09 May 08 11:57am

Johny

From Poland.
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

3 garlic cloves finely choped, Salt, Pepper, And Lemon juice. . . Into the oven 200C, for 15/20 min. 
Fantastic addition to roasted meat, or fish.

Enjoy !   smile  yummy

Last edited by Johny (Fri 09 May 08 11:59am)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 09 May 08 2:18pm

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia

Hello Kostas, will look for your next post re imam bahildhi.
Hey Johny! what to try next is my dilemma!
Hello PatrickSpriggs from Brisbane (apprentice chef) good suggestion.  How many trays of eggplant will I end up cooking this weekend??????  It all sounds really good. 
Thanks guys!

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 09 May 08 2:32pm

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia

Hey PatrickSpriggs, dined at "Rapide" at Camp Hill last night.  Very nice! 
The entree of Pumpkin Tart with Persian Fetta & Sliced Figs was very good.
A friend of my son's has just left "Botanical" in Melbourne where he had been for quite a few years and started up in another venture.  He began as a kitchen hand at the Sheraton in Brisbane (while studying at Uni).  He became so interested in cooking that he asked for an apprenticeship and was successful.  He has done well.
Good luck with your apprenticeship.

Likes (0)