Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 May 08 9:13pm

Tal/IL

Member since Thu 08 May 08

Garam flour substitute??

I am wanting to try a recipe that calls for garam flour as a binder for a mixture of chopped game meat, onion and spices that is formed into small croquettes then breaded and fried. I am not at all familiar with garam flour and don't yet know if it is available locally. Could I substitute corn meal or something else if the garam flour is not available??

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 May 08 9:54pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Garam flour substitute??

Well, if you add where you are add maybe someone can give you a hint as to where to buy it.

I suspect you mean gram flour: a flour made from chick peas / garbanzo beans.
Her in Germany it is not at all common, but I can easily get it from an Asian grocer. You can also try Turkish/Middle Eastern places.

You can probably use "normal" flour or bread crumbs, but it will slightly change the flavor, and the amounts may not be exactly correct.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 May 08 10:25pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

I think you mean "gram" flour (besan/chickpea flour) which is gluten free and is normally made from yellow lentils (not chickpeas) its sometimes called chana flour (chana dal - yellow lentils)
You could substitute normal flour but you wont get the same taste or texture.

Steve

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 08 May 08 10:37pm

Tal/IL

Member since Thu 08 May 08

The recipe states "garam flour (besan)", so it sounds like we're all on the same page there.... As for my location, I am in Normal, Illinois - really!

There are some specialty groceries nearby that cater to the Asian and Indian trade, so maybe it won't be difficult to find.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 08 May 08 10:44pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

Garam would translate to "hot" as in Garam Masala "hot spices", I presume its a mistake of the author !

Steve

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 08 May 08 11:41pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am afraid I have to disagree with Steve.
Gram flour is normally made from chickpeas.

I double-checked: googled + looked on the package in my cupboard:  among others wikipedia, cook's thesaurus, recipezaar.com, and the bag in my kitchen agree that it is chick pea, not lentil.

This is what cook's thesaurus (a site explaining ingredients + giving suggestions for substitutions http://www.foodsubs.com/ ) says about it:
"chickpea flour = besan (flour) = gram flour = cici flour = chana flour = garbanzo bean flour   Shopping hints:   Look for this in Indian markets or health food stores.  To make your own:  Lightly roast dried garbanzo beans, then grind them in a blender until mixture has the consistency of flour. Substitutes:  lightly roast dried yellow split peas, then grind them in a blender until mixture has the consistency of flour OR all-purpose flour (different flavor and consistency)"

Though, I also found this:
"Gram Flour (Besan) - Superfine
Natco Gram Flour is the finest gram flour available in the UK and is the UK's gram flour brand leader. Unlike other gram flours which are often made from ground chick peas, Natco Gram Flour is made from 100% Chana Dal. It has a slightly nutty flavour and an earthy aroma and is used generally as a thickener for curries and soups and to make pakora and bhajia batters.
Available in 500g bags."

which might be what Steve is using wink

I suggest you try the Indian place or a health food store.

Last edited by SusanneH (Thu 08 May 08 11:46pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 09 May 08 12:02am

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

If you speak to people from India you will find that most Gram flour is the Chana variety which is the yellow lentil type, chickpea flour tends not to be from chickpeas ! Its referred to as chickpea flour but the majority of it being used hasn't any chickpea in there !

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 09 May 08 1:12am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Small point SusanneH - Garbanzo beans ARE chickpeas.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 09 May 08 1:19am

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

I use buckwheat flour in replacement of garam flour sometimes.  Buckwheat flour tastes very good in Indian recipes. smile

Last edited by Jeenas Recipes (Fri 09 May 08 1:19am)

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 09 May 08 10:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Could you post the recipe? it might be suitable for gluten free (with rice crumbs)

Likes (0)