Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 May 08 9:02pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

What to do with left-over cooked meat?

Just looking for ideas as to what to do with the left-over sunday roast at the beginning of the week...

I would normally do a cold meat sandwich if I have left over roast beef or pork with mustard / chutney etc., or maybe do a shepherd's pie by putting the meat in the magimix and making a thick gravy etc... Anybody has any other suggestions? I sometimes lack of ideas when I only have a small piece of meat left that wouldnt really feed the 2 of us on its own...  yikes

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 May 08 12:15am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: What to do with left-over cooked meat?

See here:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30775

My friend's pirogies are lovely! (recipe in thread above)
Am not really great with using leftovers creatively myself...

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 May 08 5:51am

CrazyCanuck_Des

Occupation a gardening stay at home mom
From Rural Canadian Prairies
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

I make fried rice and stir frys out it, sometimes taco salad type stuff. omletts, quiches (great for using up some veggies that are nearing their end too), chillies (even with a little bit of meat bulking it up with the beans and chickpeas the meat gives it a full body type of flavor) . and then there are also the old stand bys of soup and stews.

hope that helps smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 May 08 9:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

We sometimes mix up roasted meat with remaining roasted vegetable in a food processor and use as a ravioli or canneloni filling.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 12 May 08 10:19am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Twist on Stroganoff - bulk it up with plenty of mushrooms, onions, bell peppers
I'm going to make Susanne's friend's pirogies, can't stop thinking about them!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 12 May 08 2:48pm

Rraine

Occupation Archivist
From Maxville, Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 15 Aug 07

Using a filler, such as rice, stretches leftover cooked meat (pork, beef or lamb).  Here's a quick recipe that also uses up any "dying" veg you might have languishing in your refrigerator. 

Bring 1 cup of lightly salted water to a rolling boil.  Add cup of basmati rice, cover, reduce heat to very low and cook for 20 minutes.  While that's on the go, fry up chopped onion/green onion, peppers (red, orange for colour), some garlic in olive oil.  Add the meat and warm through. We like our food a little on the spicy side, so we often mix in a teaspoon of Oelek (sp?).  This is a Dutch spice made from chilies.  Jerk seasoning would also work well (see Jamie's Flavour Shaker recipe).  Finally, stir in the cooked rice.  Add salt and pepper to taste and presto, you're done.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 12 May 08 4:08pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Hot roast beef sandwich, also a good way to use up leftover bread and grazy.  Sometimes i grill up some onions and mushrooms and throw those on top.  It's basic, but it's always a fav at my house.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 12 May 08 10:07pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Loads of great ideas.... thanks guys..... didnt think about pasta fillings or in pieces in a quiche... DOH! (like Homer would say!) - definitely will try a few of your suggestions... I just can't bear throwing food away, even small left-overs....  hmm

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 14 May 08 10:48pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

I would cook up a delicious curry from scratch and throw the cooked meat in right at the end to warm through.  thumbsup  big_smile  tongue

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 15 May 08 2:29am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

How about a casserole? ...hmm...though it's approaching Summer over there now isn't it? What about a pie filling?

Regards thumbsup

Likes (0)