forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 May 08 4:45pm

mtuck

Member since Fri 16 May 08

Confusion over Deveining Prawns

When I buy prawns, the only vein I see is the blue coloured one along the underside - should I remove this ?. I know the intestinal tract is found along the spine - I never see it. If I can't see it, does this mean I don't need to bother removing it or do I need to cut into the prawn to see it ?. Please clear this up for me !!! Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 May 08 5:05pm

Cleary

Occupation Chef
From Beccles
Member since Fri 12 Oct 07

Re: Confusion over Deveining Prawns

Ok the reason people remove it is because when you get big prawn's or lobster's ect you feel the grit from the intestine this is caused by wot's in it. Also people dont like the idea of eating **** to put it blunt. You dont have to it's up to you it wownt do you any harm! Personaly i just remove it on the big one's and lobster's and when it's small prawn's or shrimp's i dont bother

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 16 May 08 7:47pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi mtuck, welcome -

You cannot see the intestinal tract until you cut along the spine.  Have a look on this link.

http://www.mediterrasian.com/how_to_shrimp.htm

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 17 May 08 7:33am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

On some prawns, the intestinal tract runs along the top, on others, along the bottom.

In either case, remove the "vein" or eat sh*t :-)

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 May 08 8:37am

Acey

Occupation Computer Graphics Artist
Member since Wed 07 May 08

GeoffP wrote:

On some prawns, the intestinal tract runs along the top, on others, along the bottom.

In either case, remove the "vein" or eat sh*t :-)

Hi,

Bottom? Just curious, which type of prawn has the tract running along the bottom or do they actually have both?

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 17 May 08 10:08am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I'll check when I next get some. It may be a difference between salt water and fresh water prawns, or between warm water and cold water prawns.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 16 Sep 11 12:03pm

Raye0274

Member since Fri 16 Sep 11

I found this post when I was looking for information on de-veining prawns and had to post that the whole 'there are two veins and depends on where the prawns are from' thing is not right - the vein that runs along the bottom of a prawn is actually part of their central nervous system.  It's not necessary to cut this out (before I learned more I used to and it totally destroyed the prawn), the intestinal tract is the vein that runs along the back of the prawn and though in larger shellfish you don't have to remove it, it's recommended when they are the smaller ones you tend to find in UK supermarkets.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 16 Sep 11 1:44pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here Raye0274,
Thanks for the info! smile

Likes (0)