Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 23 May 08 12:37am

khelashi

Member since Thu 22 May 08

Blueberry muffins - organic, dairy, wheat and sugar free!

These are really yummy! My 6 year old, my 18 year old and all my grown up friends and family loved them - even the not very health consious ones.... smile !
I am really bad at measuring though - I will try to give extremely good estimations!

(Makes 12)

250 - 300 g fine Maize meal
50 - 100g white spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 Eggs
ca. 150 g good quality margarine
ca, 100 g Xylitol *
optional: substitute half the Xylitol for Honey or, if you like it sweet, add some extra honey.
2 punnets fresh blueberries.
Soya or Rice milk untill the right consistency is reached.
a few spoons full of Yoghurt is nice too - you can get soya yoghurts in Healthfood shops

Consistency should be like cake mixture. Fill a muffin tray (12), previously spread with margarine.
Store in tupperware, don't let it dry out.

* Xylitol is a natural sweetener, derived from Birch trees, without the calories of sugar, it doesn't upset the blood sugar balance and is actually good for the teeth! You get it in health food stores.

Last edited by khelashi (Fri 23 May 08 9:53am)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 23 May 08 8:27am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Blueberry muffins - organic, dairy, wheat and sugar free!

This sounds a good recipe, Khelashi, and I will certainly try it.  Would it work with buckwheat flour instead of the spelt flour (spelt is an ancient precursor to wheat, and therefore unsuitable for coeliacs and the gluten intolerant) do you think?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 23 May 08 9:50am

khelashi

Member since Thu 22 May 08

Re: Blueberry muffins - organic, dairy, wheat and sugar free!

I actually almost used buckwheat instead of spelt, had the packet in my hands already but then used the spelt. I think next time I'll try it with buckwheat! smile

Likes (0)