forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Jun 08 1:08pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Natural yeast for bread homemade (sourbread actually...)

I'd like to share this "recipe" that will help you make the most delicious bread. Moreover you will never need to buy yeast never again.

At Greece we call it "Prozeeme" or something like that. The dictionary translated it as barm, leaven or yeast.

I tried to make it for the first time 2 weeks ago and everything worked fine and I'm baking delicious bread everyday ever since. It is the most simple thing in the world...

What you will need.
All purpose flour a small handfull
water (it doesn't need to be warm but it might help...)

Preparation
Mix flour with water till you have a loose porridge, not like dough, much more loose.
Put a towel over the bowl

"Baking"
Leave the bowl in a warm(not cold) enviroment for about 3 days...That's it!!!

In about 3 days(more or less) the "porridge" will be filled with bubbles from the natural "yeast". It will have something like an acidic smell. Don't worry it's not spoiled, it is the way it is supposed to be. It is ready for use. I will post a simple bread recipe because it works a bit different that bought yeast.

Here is a pictures of the porridge that will turn to yeast, behind it under the towel is the bread I'm gonna bake in a minute!

http://www.dpgr.gr/usergalleries/displa … 4&uid=

Classic bread
What you will need
1/2 kg flour(you can use any you like, prices are high here in Greece so I buy the cheapest...)
A bit of warm water
The homemade yeast we just made.
A bit(about a ts) of sugar and salt(more salt then sugar about a Ts)

Prepare
Make a small pool in the flour and add a bit(not much) of warm water . With a fork mix adding a little flour so it creates a small porridge in the middle of the pool. Add the natural yeast we made.
* Don't add too much water as usually because the natural yeast is loose and you will need less water than usual.
Knead for about 5-10 min.
Put just a bit of olive oil in the baking tray or anywhere you will bake the bread.
Make the dough into any shape you like.
** Put a small handful away(will explain later)
* I usually add some kind of seed like flaxseed(linseed), fennel seed, sesame, poppy seed on top. Watch out for poppy seeds because in some countries I think is considered a drug.
Let it rise for about 3-4 hours!!!! It takes that much time, but the taste is amazing more than you can imagine, if you haven't tried it before.
Preheat oven and bake at 180 for about 40 min.

For the next time, remember the piece of dough we took earlier?
Let it rise and then put it in a box and then in the fridge.
If you plan to make bread in a month put it in the freezer.
If you plan to make bread in a week in the fridge.
If you plan to make bread the next day again, loosen it with water, add a bit of flour and let it at room temperature. The next day it will have bubbles, you don't need to wait again 3 days!
The next time you want to make bread get it out of the fridge/freezer and let it get warm. Then add water and flour and make a porridge and the next day will be ready to make bread.

Here is a photo of the bread before baking

http://www.dpgr.gr/usergalleries/displa … 6&uid=

Pros and Cons
The breads tastes simply amazing and you don't have to buy yeast every time
It take much time to rise (3-4 hours) and you have to prepare it a day before making bread.

From the first time I used it I haven't stopped, I suggest you just try it.

Sorry about the size of the post
Kostas

Last edited by dukegus (Tue 03 Jun 08 9:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 03 Jun 08 1:36pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Natural yeast for bread homemade (sourbread actually...)

Hi Kostas,

What you describe is sourdough. Jamie has one in one of his books.

We have some very good threads on this too:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26708

Another advantage of sourdough bread is that it keeps fresh longer than breads with yeast.
What makes the sourdough rise is not just yeast, but also bacteria from lactic acid.

wink

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 03 Jun 08 3:01pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

thx Susanne, I didn't know the right searchword...reading the post right now, nice!!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 03 Jun 08 5:00pm

Maisa

From KSA.Madinah
Member since Fri 09 May 08

Hi  everyone ..

I once heard that they can  make bread by using Fresh  Yougurt and without using
a yeast ....... any body knows  how ...?

Thanx  dukegus for your effort  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 03 Jun 08 7:29pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Maisa, I assume that you would have to let it prove longer than with yeast and have a sour flavor to it too. And you might still have to leave it open at the beginning. Many recipes for sourdough starters contain yogurt or buttermilk. They contain the same bacteria that are in sourdough anyway. wink

Kostas, translating words like that can be really tricky. What makes it worth is that many ingredients have different names in different varieties of English.... Feel free to add your experiences to the diary thread. I found it helpful when I started to have a reference point and to be able to get feedback too. wink

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 03 Jun 08 9:19pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

About the yogurt Maisa I haven't tried bread only with yogurt but have made with yogurt and yeast and it was very fluffy and tasty!

I have tried yogurt in a dough for little calzone only with feta(we call the cheese-pie) and it made the crust very fluffy again with beautiful texture!

About the bread I used for 1/2 kg flour about 4 Ts with natural yogurt and yeast about the amount needed for the flour to rise(about half the packet ~4g)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 03 Jun 08 10:04pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

has anyone heard about trachanas di fiori?? a sourdough made with luppolo (hop ???) flowers. they are boiled then dried used like a starter and then transformed in little pizzas you let dry and keep then like a sort of dry yeast

http://orizzontidelgusto.blogspot.com/2 … idoto.html

it's in italian, at the end of a touching story you find the recipe of this bread

who knows it?

I do not know even hop flowers, we eat the germogli into frittata in springtime

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 04 Jun 08 9:15am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

Madamada I don't know about trachanas di fiori but here in Greece my grandma makes trachana. It is like breadcrumbs little pieces but they are made from milk and flour and then sundried.
To prepare it you boil it with milk or water and some feta or better goat cheese and it is a very tasty winter breakfast or dinner.

I like discovering that many greek words come from italy and the opposite. If you like a recipe for my nana's trachana tell me and I will call her  smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 04 Jun 08 1:30pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Hi dukegus, I' very curious about this new-old recipe so if your nana (nonna???) is happy to share it with us  big_smile  clap  big_smile

In the meantime I make a dance to call for a real summer sun

ciao maddalena

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 05 Jun 08 9:12am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

Yes my nonna makes it and actually it was quite popular in Greece some years ago, but now...

I think the 80-90's were the worst years for food in Greece, where mothers abandoned the old traditional recipes...thinking they were old fashioned...but the new fashion wasn't at all tasty! They started cooking with lots of olive oil(I mean lots...) and forgot how to use herbs. They sacrificed real taste for the sake of fat I think...

I mean, every house would make it's own (sour)bread every second day, meat was eaten less than once in a week, wild boiled greens which grow everywhere were everyday at the table...

Maddalena in Italy has food changed over the last 10-20 years that much as here in Greece? I mean you italians must hold more than us in your traditions and especially food...

I will call my nonna right now!

Ciao bella maddalena smile I'm not good with italian...but i love italy!!

Likes (0)