forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Jun 08 4:41pm

El cocinitas

From Spain
Member since Tue 27 May 08

Lemon grass

Hi everyone,

I'm too, growing my own vegetables and herbs, and I'd like to grow lemongrass too.
Does anyone have tips on growing it?
Where do I get the seeds? When to plant them? What soil should I use? etc...
Or is it possible to grow it planting the stalk directly to the soil?
I love Thai food, specially green curries, and in Spain is difficult to get lemongrass if not imposible.

Thank you all and have a nice evening!!!

El Cocinitas big_smile

Last edited by El cocinitas (Tue 10 Jun 08 4:42pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Jun 08 7:52pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Lemon grass

Buy a bit of very firm, fresh lemongrass from your usual supermarket/market & put it bulb downwards in a glass of water. Change the water every day & wait for it to root. When there are lotes of small roots growing well, pot it into a pot of compost as carefully as you can without damaging the new roots. Don't let the new plant dry out. They like lots of water, but not to sit in it.
Thats how I grow lemongrass, & I haven't bought any for 2 years now!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 13 Jun 08 1:13am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Minerva, what conditions do you keep the lemongrass that is in the soil in?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Jun 08 8:38am

El cocinitas

From Spain

Hello Minerva

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll do it as soon as I find a lemongrass stalk.
Does it require lots of sun or shade is better?  Or any fertilizer?

Thank you again, and I'll tell you how does it go when I plant it.

Bye

El cocinitas  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 13 Jun 08 6:04pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I grew mine on the winow-sill in a sunny place until it rooted, & in the sitting-room in good sunlight once potted on. We have the problem of frosts & damp here in England, neither of which suit the plant! Have a go, see what happens!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Jun 08 9:26pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'll have a go but i'll probably be able to plant it out.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 14 Jun 08 12:15am

scraps

Member since Fri 13 Jun 08

This sounds interesting, think I might give it a go.  To buy lemongrass is quite expensive.  I have a lovely little herb garden, this will go in well,  Thank you for sharing the info with us.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 14 Jun 08 9:10pm

GinaB

Member since Wed 21 May 08

Hi,
I've been growing lemongrass for years, I have lived in Japan most recently and I grew it there for the same reason as the original poster in Spain, impossible to find and when you actually find it, it is ridiculously expensive.  Seeds are easy to get by internet actually but you can try to propagate as well.  The best advice I can give you is to remind you that lemongrass freezes beautifully!   mrgreen You can freeze any preparation of it, the stalks, cut pieces, etc!!! 

Also, if you end up growing it, it is a grass that will take over a garden.  If you don't desire that, plant it in a container.  When you cut it back it comes back twice as big!  If you cut it back throughout the growing season you will be amazed at how much more comes back.  Mine has over-wintered well this year, I'm in the US rated zone 8-9 (only a couple of freezing temps at night and a 2 month winter) but in Japan it was colder and it also over-wintered well as long as it was cut back. 

As another trivial point, almost ever Thai ingredient freezes amazingly well to include kaffir lime leaves, chili peppers, and galangal (pre-sliced)!

Good luck

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 16 Jun 08 8:32am

El cocinitas

From Spain

Hello everyone

Thank you for your replies. I'll have a go as soon as I get hold of some of it. Normally by now it is quite hot in Spain, but this year is an exeption. We have over a month of rain and mild temperatures. Do you know if I have to water it regularly? and when shall I crop it?

Thanks again for all your advices!!!

C U soon

El cocinitas wink

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 26 Dec 08 1:21pm

indaloman

Member since Fri 26 Dec 08

Hi El Cocinitas

I too live in Spain (Andalucia), and searched high and low for lemongrass without any sucess, I finally saw in in the herb garden of a local resturant and the chef kindly gave me a clump. Mine is in a pot but does need water in the summer months, don't let it dry out, summer or winter.

Likes (0)