Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Jun 08 9:21pm

vestrom

Occupation Student
From Norway, Oslo
Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

Diabetes and food

Hi everyone!

Last Friday I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1, and thats the reason I am writing this message. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with diabetes, and if anyone has recipes which are diabetes friendly?  I am also very interested if anyone has other suggestions or advices. 

Thomas

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 20 Jun 08 1:12am

Despina33

Forum champ
Occupation Housewife, Mom
From Montreal, Canada
Member since Sun 23 Mar 08

Re: Diabetes and food

HI Thomas
I will try and find a few minutes tonight and give you some recipes

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 20 Jun 08 2:43am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Some diabetes friendly recipes
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collect … s+friendly

Diabetes Australia (has recipes - these is probably a similar organisation in Norway)
http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/home/index.htm

A diabetic magazine http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/better- … est-issue/

There are a few diabetics and people who cook for diabetics on the forum.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 20 Jun 08 8:35am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Pumpkin Soup   

INGREDIENTS

1kg pumpkin
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice

STEPS

1. Peel pumpkin and chop into small chunks
2. Combine pumpkin in a large pan with stock, water, onion, garlic and cumin
3. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender
4. Transfer mixture, in batches, to food processor or blender and process each batch until smooth. Return mixture to pan. 
5. Add coconut milk and lemon juice to pan, stir over medium heat until heated through
6. Garnish with chopped chives, if desired 

Barbecued Octopus Salad 
INGREDIENTS

800g baby octopus
2 tablespoons oil
1⁄4 cup water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Thai sweet chilli sauce
1 medium red pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
2 tablespoons lime juice

STEPS

1. Clean octopus with a small sharp knife: cut off head, or slit open, and remove gut
2. Pick up body, push beak up with index finger; remove and discard. Clean octopus well under running water; pat dry with paper towel 
3. Combine with oil, water and garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 1-2 hours 
4. Heat barbecue grill. When hot, cook octopus for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain well on paper towel. Combine chilli sauce, pepper, coriander and juice in serving bowl. Add octopus, stir 
5. Serve warm or cold

Fresh Vegetable pasta Sauce 
INGREDIENTS

1 carrot, cut into thin strips
2 zucchinis, cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
1 teaspoon fresh basil
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup water
1⁄2 vegetable stock cube

STEPS

1. Heat oil in a pan
2. Add onion and carrot and stir until onion is soft 
3. Add zucchini and pepper
4. Stir for 3 minutes
5. Stir in flour
6. Stir in tomatoes, marjoram, basil, tomato paste, sugar, water and stock cube 
7. Stir over high heat until mixture boils and thickens slightly 
8. Cover. Reduce heat. Simmer for 7 minutes 

Spicy Chicken 
INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon oil
500g chicken breast fillets, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium onions, sliced
1 small fresh red chilli, sliced
1 small fresh green chilli, sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 cup water
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves

STEPS

1. Heat half of the oil in the wok
2. Add chicken in batches, stir fry until tender, remove 
3. Heat remaining oil in wok, add garlic and onions, stir fry until onions are just soft 
4. Add chicken, chillies, juice, sauce and blended cornflour, stock powder and water, stir until mixture boils and thickens slightly 
5. Stir in basil 

Filo Apple Tarts   

INGREDIENTS

1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons SPLENDA
1 large Fuji apple, cut horizontally into 8 1⁄2 cm slices
4 sheets filo pastry
vegetable oil spray
1 tablespoon SPLENDA

STEPS

1. Place the lemon juice, water and SPLENDA in a saucepan and add the apple slices. Cover and gently cook for 5 minutes
2. Take one sheet of filo pastry and lay on clean work surface. Spray with vegetable oil and sprinkle with pinch of SPLENDA. Fold in half. Spray with oil again and fold. Spray and fold for the third time. Repeat process with remaining sheets of filo
3. Remove the apple slices from saucepan and allow to cool a little. Overlap 2 slices of apple in centre of each piece of filo. Trim pastry around the apples allowing a 1-2 cm border. Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, sprinkle tarts with SPLENDA and lemon zest. Cook in 190oC oven for 10-12 minutes or until pastry is golden
4. While tarts are cooking, rapidly boil cooking liquid until reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove tarts from oven and brush the apple slices with some of the reduced cooking syrup. Serve with yoghurt if desired 

Banana Pancakes   

INGREDIENTS

1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons SPLENDA
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 tablespoons low fat milk
1 large banana (220g) mashed
vegetable oil spray
2 tsp warm honey
lime wedges and berries to serve

STEPS

1. Sift flour into a large bowl and stir in SPLENDA Whisk together egg and milk pour into flour mixture along with mashed bananas. Mix until well combined
2.  Heat a large nonstick pan and spray with vegetable oil. Spoon in 1 heaped tablespoon of mixture for each pancake and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Flip over and cook the other side. 
3. Respray pan with vegetable oil and cook remaining mixture in batches. Place on plates, drizzle with honey and serve with wedges of lime and berries

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 20 Jun 08 12:14pm

vestrom

Occupation Student
From Norway, Oslo
Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful.

Things are starting to get better and I am trying to be as positive as possible. Any quick lunch suggestions? A snack I can carry around easily and do contain slow carbohydrates, like in brown bread. I am going on a vacation to Sicily for two weeks in July, and I need to bring something to eat on the plane.

Again, Thanks!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 30 Jun 08 6:56am

jetdog

Occupation occupied
From Massachusetts USA
Member since Fri 22 Feb 08

The best thing to do is meet with a nutrtionist.  My OH was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 insulin dependant at age 50. His insulin intake during the day is dependant on how many carbs he eats . Reading labels is important as is weighing your food- after  a while you will know how many carbs are in what you are eating Diabetes is a life adjustment be positive and give yourself time to adjust. Take your blood sugar faithfully, count your carbs, adjust for exercise. There is a booklet available in the States called The Doctor's Pocket Calorie, Fat and Carbbohydrate guide which is fairly comprehensive.  It includes restaurants also but I realize that aside from the 2 big fast foods Burger King, MacDonalds that may not be of use in Norway but the carb caouts for foods are accurate
You can order it online at www.CalorieKing.com or
phone at 949-642-8500 or mail at
Family Health Publications
PO Box 1616
Costa Mesa California 92628
Best of Luck and Health

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 01 Jul 08 9:42am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Vestrom,

My Dad & my Mother-in-law are both diabetic.

MIL has been told by her Doc to eat a low GI diet. I read the books over the weekend.

Basically avoid processed foods, white flour, sugar, potatoes.

My partner & I are in our early 30's, both overweight & both genetically at risk, so Im thinking I might change us over to SPELT flour. And try to cut right back on the potatoes.

For some reason the low GI books didnt mention pasta. Maybe durum wheat makes for lower GI?

Couscous is medium GI, and brown rice, whole grains, and rolled oats are low GI. Instant oats are medium/high GI.

Goodluck thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 03 Jul 08 4:47am

mongoose17

Occupation sittin on backside
From scotland
Member since Tue 06 May 08

hi Thomas,

try a seach for recipes for diabetics, thomas as most of my family are diabetic i found it hard at 1st but once i done a seach i found a lot of recipes.   big_smile

Robert

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 03 Jul 08 8:43am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

About low GI foods http://www.glycemicindex.com/

I like jetgog's suggestion of seeing a nutritionist or dietitian. They will be able to get you started. Your doctor should be able to refer you to one.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 03 Jul 08 9:07am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Chick Nuts 

1 pound package dried chickpeas

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight. Next day, drain and pat dry w/paper towels.
Spread the chickpeas in a single layer baking pan. Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for about 45 minutes or until completely crisp. (They will shrink to their original size).
Toss with a flavoring (see below) while hot, or cool and serve plain.
After seasoning these, allow them to air dry for a few days to ensure all residual moisture has evaporated.

FLAVOR VARIATIONS
Chick Devils Sprinkle a mixture of cayenne pepper and salt over the hot chick nuts.
Red Chicks Sprinkle a mixture of paprika and garlic salt over the hot chick nuts

Cheese & Herb Oat Scones   
1 cup (5 ozs) self-rising flour, sifted
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup (41/2 ozs) unprocessed oat bran
2 tablespoons (1 oz) butter
1/2 cup (4 ozs) 2% milk
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup (2 ozs) grated low fat cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves

Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the oat bran. Rub in the butter
Make a well in the center and add the milk and half the water. Mix lightly with a knife, adding extra water if necessary, to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead gently.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick. Scatter half the cheese and all the herbs over the entire surface.
Beginning from a long side, roll up to make a thick sausage. Cut into 1 inch-slices to make little rounds.
Place the round side by side on a greased baking pan and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake in a hot over (400 degrees) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot or cold.

Muesli Munchies   

6 tablespoons (3 ozs) butter
1/4 cup (2 ozs) honey
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
11/2 cups (10ozs) natural muesli
2 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels
1/4 cup (11/3 ozs) self-rising flour, sifted

Melt the butter and honey in a small saucepan.
Whisk the egg and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.
Add the butter mixture, muesli, sunflower seed kernels and flour to the egg mixture, stir until combined.
Place small spoonfuls of the mixture onto a lightly greased baking pan, spacing evenly.
Bake in a moderately hot over (375 degrees) for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand on pan until firm, then loosen and pace on a wire rack to cool.

Likes (0)