forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 23 Jun 08 12:53pm

tew38

Member since Thu 22 Jun 06

Creamed Coconut???

Can anyone help?  I'm not sure I'm even in the right bit of the forum but here goes!

Does anyone have any recipes that use the blocks of Creamed Coconut? 

I've been given some blocks of some very solid feeling Creamed Coconut and I have no idea what to do with it!  I know that you have to mix it with hot water but that's only because I read the side of the packet!  I imagine that it'd be great for curries or any Thai type dishes but I've scoured my recipe books and can't find anything relating to it.......Can anyone enlighten me to some delicious recipes for it??

Thanks from a very confused Creamed Coconut packet owner!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 23 Jun 08 6:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Creamed Coconut???

Welcome to the forums tew38   smile

I pop bits of creamed coconut into a curry as it cooks.
Sometimes I dissolve some of the vreamed coconut into some water and cook rice in it to go with the curry. (always a favourite !)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 23 Jun 08 7:15pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Rice and Peas

Ingredients

1 medium sized can red kidney beans/ or fresh soaked overnight and boiled until soft
1 can coconut milk or Block of Coconut Cream diluted with water, about 1litre
2 cups of rice
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 table spoon oil
1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole, do not chop up, leave whole and remove whole)

Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid. Place liquids in a pot with beans, onions, garlic, thyme and oil, bring to a boil. Add rice and stir for a minute. Reduce heat to Medium-Low. Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.

This recipe is tried and tested.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 23 Jun 08 8:03pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Nasi Kuning is Indonesian yellow rice with coconut milk.  Google it for any number of variations with a variety of spices.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 23 Jun 08 8:06pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

BTW, I forgot to add that if you get a taste for it and you are near a Chinese supermarket, such as Wing Yip in UK, you can buy the blocks for about a third of the price they are in Tescbury's etc.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 23 Jun 08 8:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Mr Grumpy , I find the same thing, I agree that the price is higher in most of the supermarkets.
I always buy creamed coconut from the local Asian stores.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 24 Jun 08 11:07am

tew38

Wow, thanks everyone for your quick and helpful responses, I am feeling a lot more inspired now!

By the way, my Mum bought them for me the other day and I'm not sure if it was a pricing error but it was only 10p a carton from Tesco's!  I'm not sure if it was just a pricing error in that branch or in all stores countrywide but it's probably worth stocking up at that price!!

Thanks again smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 26 Jun 08 8:50am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Coconut & lime cake

200g caster sugar
200g softened butter
4 eggs , beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
200g block of creamed coconut
FOR THE FROSTING
zest and juice of 2 limes
100g butter , softened
140g icing sugar , sifted
tbsp Malibu (optional)
100g toasted desiccated coconut

Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
Grate the 200g block of creamed coconut and keep half of it aside.
Then in a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients (including half of the grated block of creamed coconut) together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
For the frosting, mix together the remaining creamed coconut, zest and juice of 2 limes.
Microwave on High for 30 secs until the coconut melts.
Make the buttercream by beating the butter until smooth and creamy and gradually beating in icing sugar .
Then beat in the cooled coconut mix and 2-3 tbsp Malibu (optional) until it becomes marshmallowy.
Fill the cooled sponges with a third of the frosting, cover the sides and top with the rest and coat the sides with the toasted desiccated coconut. Keep in an airtight container and eat within 2 days.

Parsnips with coconut and ginger
Ingredients
800g parsnips, peeled
40g creamed coconut
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
5cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
1-2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
15g fresh coriander, chopped
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lime
4 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
1 tsp lightly crushed cumin seeds
Method: How to make parsnips with coconut and ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/fan170C/gas 5.
If the parsnips are small, cut in half or quarter them; if they are large, cut into chunks.
Cook in boiling, salted water for 5-6 minutes, then drain well in a colander.

2. Grate the creamed coconut and stir in 2-3 tablespoons hot water to make a paste.
Put the garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander in a small food processor or mill, add 1 tablespoon of water and blend until a paste forms.
Add the coconut and mix together.
Stir in the lime zest and season.

3. Pour the oil into a stout, shallow roasting tray and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
In a roomy bowl, toss the still-warm parsnips in the coconut/ginger paste, then transfer to the roasting tray.
Add the cumin seeds and toss to coat in the oil.
Roast the parsnips, stirring once or twice, for 30-40 minutes or until they are tender.

Sea bream in coconut sauce 
Ingredients :
2 sea bream fillet of about 400g (about 100g per person)
4 limes
1 lemon
2 onions
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon coconut milk
Fresh coriander
1 bow fresh mint
Salt & pepper

Recipe :
Chop mint and coriander.
Cut fish into small pieces.
Put in a large salad bowl and leave to marinate for an hour with herbs, juice from lemon and limes, sugar and seasoning.
Just before serving, peel and slice onions.
Remove fish from marinade and arrange on four plates.
Pour a tablespoon of sauce over each plate and sprinkle with chopped onion.
Serve with coconut milk in a small dish, to be added to taste.

Hint:
Try making you own coconut milk, by dissolving a block of creamed coconut in 200ml hot water, or by infusing 40g desiccated coconut in 200ml hot water. Pass through a sieve before serving.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 01 Jul 08 11:27am

tew38

Ooooh thanks for the sea bream recipe, looking forward to trying it and the coconut and lime cake sounds great

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 01 Jul 08 11:40am

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Try this chicken korma recipe http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/ … e-pan.html  it use creamed coconut and coconut milk.   I normally only use it in curries. :-)

Likes (0)