Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 26 Jun 08 10:03pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Cream puffs/profiteroles - how to prevent collapsing

Hi,

My mom served us cream puffs recently. The choux pastry had rising perfectly she said, but when she put them on the table they were almost flat again. They still tasted divine cut open and filled with a generous dollop of sweetened whipped cream. She was rather disappointed that they had collapsed though.

I thought I had read in a book or magazine how to prevent that by letting out the steam. Not sure though if you are supposed to cut them open all the way or  just pinch them or whatever - and can't find the reference.

Would appreciate your expertise! wink

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 27 Jun 08 4:48am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Cream puffs/profiteroles - how to prevent collapsing

If they are not fully cooked, they will collapse as they cool.
Remove from oven and poke each one in the side with a knife to release steam, which will otherwise make them soggy

a properly baked choux retains its puffy shape, with a hollow interior with an outside that is crisp and fairly dry, with an all over golden color.
When broken apart, it should have a slightly moist crumb on the inside.
However, if they are removed from the oven too soon, the structure of the shell has not solidified, and it will collapse.
when you think they are done take one out of the oven and check it by breaking open and checking the interior walls.
If wet and eggy, return to the oven as necessary.
Remove when done and cool on a wire rack.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 27 Jun 08 11:13am

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

I go one step further and follow my Mum's advice. Just like when you make meringue -put it back in the oven with the oven off until cool. bake til 98% done, take them out of the oven and turn the oven off.  Cut into the sides to allow steam to escape, just like Venus says. Pop them back in the oven and leave  neutral 'em there to firm up a bit. I promise they wont dry out, just don't do what I did once and forget that they're in there. Turning the oven on later to pre-heat for a roast WILL ruin them:-)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 27 Jun 08 7:41pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

as long as your OH does not turn the oven on to bake frozen pizza when their is a plastic bowl with bread dough in there to proof.... Luckily I noticed before it melted though....

Venus and elhousemartin, very good advice, thanks!
Her's were completely cooked. She did not let out the steam and the sides got a little soggy no longer supporting the top. They had been baked perfectly and still tasted perfectly, even the texture was just fine. Only with the cream they were more like a sort of sandwich than a puff as they had not retained the shape.

I'll pass on your input and am looking forward to another round of cream puffs at my mom's wink

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 27 Jun 08 8:06pm

tsaolui

Occupation Student - Business Marketing
From Taiwan, Taipei
Member since Fri 27 Jun 08

I think to prevent cream puffs from collapsing you could spray the top of the puffs with some water before you pop them into the oven to bake.  Not too much, just a thin layer, it should help in drying the outer layer of the puffs therefore creating a more solid structure.

Likes (0)