forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:51am

Ger

From Ireland
Member since Wed 28 Dec 05

No-Knead Bread

Didn't believe it till I tried it, but it works! and it's so like Ciabatta.

I used a Pyrex dish with a cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 09 Jul 08 10:21am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: No-Knead Bread

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:40pm

Ger

From Ireland

Thanks Geoff -

that write up is really helpful.  I long to make really good bread, and the write up explained a lot of the science behind this no-knead recipe.  Also, the link I posted says to use all-purpose flour, and only one rising; the write up says better results are achieved with bread flour (duh, why did I slavishly follow the link  oops ) and a second rising.  Even so I was really pleased with the results

Think I'll go mix another batch!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 09 Jul 08 1:39pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Ger,

Bread making can be a wonderful experience. (And saves a good bit of money)

I have copied the recipe to try sometime, though I bake most of my bread with sourdough.

Even with classic recipes it helps to let the dough rise twice btw if you like fluffy loafs wink

I might use the baking technique (with the pot) with sourdough bread sometime too. Just got my starter going with mostly rye though and will have to "dilute" it with bread flour first - baking a couple other batches of bread.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 09 Jul 08 5:23pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Just noticed that you have to register for membership of NYT site!

here's the recipe without having to register:-

Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 09 Jul 08 5:37pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

I can't believe it, really, I just made one and kneaded a bit because I like it but really it get's that nice?

I usually make pizza dough the same way, watery dough in the fridge over night or for 24 hours, the next day make the pizzas but never imagined it would make so beautiful bread...We'll see, I have no pot like his and a lousy "student" oven...

I'm stunned because the bread has the looks I always wanted to succeed...

Anyone tried it yet?? Any tips?

Edit: What I really want to ask is if anyone can get a normal recipe bread(or sourdough) look like the ones with the no kneading recipe...

Last edited by dukegus (Wed 09 Jul 08 5:55pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 09 Jul 08 7:17pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Geoff, I can see the recipe on the NYTimes site without logging in. Just not e-mail.   hmm
Still good to have the recipe right here wink

Well, dukegus, I haven't tried. But I assume you need to have dough that is not too heavy (very moist, preferably light flours) and time whatever you do.

I don't have le creuset ware either. When I try, I will have to use another oven proof dish. Possibly improvising the cover wink

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 10 Jul 08 3:19am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

Isn't this interesting.
When I read the ingredients and measurements, I wasn't too impressed  hmm
(1/4 teaspoon yeast and more water than usual) question
But then I read the links GeoffP posted and became informed as to reasons and method.
Now I have to try!  The pot size could be a problem though.
Thanks for posting GeoffP.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 10 Jul 08 10:25am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Here too, Burkey. Somehow I missed the 6-8 quart part. My biggest oven proof one holds about 4 or 5....

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 10 Jul 08 11:23am

Ger

From Ireland

I used a 2 Litre Pyrex dish with a lid which I bought in Tesco's a few days ago.

Dukegus, I'm interested in your Pizza dough.  Getting a nice crispy dough with no soggy bits is tricky for me.

Claude, will Guinness work in that recipe?  big_smile

Susanne, take the blame for making me interested in sourdough starters.  I can tell I'm going to be obsessive!

Likes (0)