forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 16 Jul 08 4:01pm

leis_hensler

Member since Wed 16 Jul 08

What fish should I try?

I spent my early childhood allergic to fish and seafood (terrible I know haha). But now I am able to eat plenty of seafood however I can't really eat that much fish due to taste. I wasnt brought up on it because of my allergy and now I'm not used to the flavour. So I was wondering what sort of fish doesn't have that STRONG fishy flavour? I was wanting to start to eat some fish and I'm not sure what to pick and dont want to randomly buy fish and just have to throw it out because I dont like it.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 16 Jul 08 4:25pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Re: What fish should I try?

Rather than forcing fish down your throat, and scouring the globe for delicate fish, try some dishes with just a small amount of fish in. A few shellfish in a big salad, for example, or a few pieces of fish a la nicoise.

That way, if you don't like the fish, you can just pick it out, make a mental note and little is wasted, knowledge is gained.

Kudos for wanting to try it, but as much as I commend your efforts, I wouldn't advise you to eat something due merely to some form of obligation.

Eating is pleasure, ingesting is a necessary process.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 16 Jul 08 4:32pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

I think I would start with fresh tuna it's the most like meat
just grill it or fry it like you would a steak just not for as long.

well done to you by the way I think a lot of poeple would be scared do you you are doing if they were a allergic to somehting for that long

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 16 Jul 08 4:48pm

leis_hensler

Thanks to the posts so far. Just clarifying that I am wanting to eat fish because apparently its healthy lol and I just want to see if I like it, its not a forceful thing, jsut seeing if I can eat and enjoy it (hopefully if I find one that I like haha). I have had a couple of marinara fettucini's and whatever fish they have used in that is too fishy for so I have had to pick it out, however the lovely morton bay bugs, scallops and calamari have been delicious!!!

And also is fresh tuna like tinned tuna? Because I'm not a big fan of that at all...

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 16 Jul 08 4:55pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Fresh tuna is nothing like tinned tuna, so long as you don't cook it well done.

Blue doneness is popular nowadays, as regards tuna.

However, I don't agree that it is more meaty than fishy. It has a rather unique oily fishy flavour, probably closer to mackeral than to salmon, but still distinct. The texture, certainly, is meaty, because of the size of the fish.

From your post, I think you'd much prefer delicate white fish and shellfish. Start with things like the scallops, and move onto whiting, seabass, octopus, then onto things like john dory and turbot (with can be balanced with meat in surf and turf dishes. If the fish isn't to your liking, simply complement the meat dishes with appropriate accompaniments to bring the meaty flavour out over the fishy flavour) then onto things like plaice and cod, then onto salmon and tuna, and finally onto mackeral and smoked fish.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 16 Jul 08 5:04pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

If you have only ever seen Tuna in a tin you won’t recognise the fresh stuff!
http://www.freshtuna.co.uk/tuna.html

but TheBeast2 does have a point there about it being too fishy to start with ... you could try some like scallops in a black bean sauce or king prawns with garlic
smile

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 16 Jul 08 5:22pm

leis_hensler

Thank you both so much!!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 16 Jul 08 5:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I reccomend haddock, fresh cod, orange roughy (sp?), pollack, flounder, crab, shrimp, but only if you're sure you no longer have the allergy.  It won't come back with consumption of a lot of fish will it?  There's been a lot of talk lately about the mercury content in the big tunas.  I recommend you google the topic before you consider the big tunas 'healthy'.  Apparently, even single portions are over FDA limits for mercury.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 16 Jul 08 5:47pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

First of all I'd like to know how you kicked the allergy. Second the thing is freshness, very fresh fish won't taste that strong. I also recommend swordfish, do you have that in UK?

Last edited by whitedog (Wed 16 Jul 08 5:59pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 17 Jul 08 1:49am

leis_hensler

well i just remember seafood making me vomit whenever i ate it when i was little. feed me a piece of fish and then two hours later i get "that" feeling and back up it came. i once had a few too many prawns on a holiday and also had the saem effect only a couple of years ago. im not sure whether this was due to a slight "relapse" in my allergy or some poeple told me that buying prawns from a supermarket is a no-no and that i shouldve bought them from a proper seafood shop. but gradually over time i have been able to consume small amounts and then more and more larger portions over time (i'm now 21 and love eating prawns oysters and quite a few shell fish). But its just been fish that i havent adjusted to the taste of. hence my question on what types of fish are the nicest.

also im not sure about the UK but im in australia and im not quite sure whether you can buy swordfish here either. i will try and find out.

thanks to everyone!!!  big_smile

Likes (0)