forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Sun 17 Aug 08 2:06am

auzzi_teen_cook

Occupation Music player, Wedding video guy and takeaway pasta guy
From Valley - Gold Coast Australia
Member since Sun 10 Aug 08

Re: Vegetables and fruits that we have forgotten about....

GeoffP wrote:

auzzi_teen_cook you probably mean Tomatillo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo

Available widely in the UK in supermarkets, where we knw it as Physalis

No i don't there a redish orangeish little fruit that grows on trees and they grow to about 8 cm in length and are a kinda oval shape.

It has seeds in the middle that you can eat but its the flesh (not the skin) and the seeds together that make it taste so good

we grow our own and always have.

TEEN COOK IN AUSTRALIA

Likes (0)

#62 Sun 17 Aug 08 4:04pm

HomesteadDiva

Occupation Licensed Veterinary Technician and Homesteading Diva
From Belfair, WA USA
Member since Tue 29 Jan 08

auzzi_teen_cook wrote:

No i don't there a redish orangeish little fruit that grows on trees and they grow to about 8 cm in length and are a kinda oval shape.

It has seeds in the middle that you can eat but its the flesh (not the skin) and the seeds together that make it taste so good

we grow our own and always have.

TEEN COOK IN AUSTRALIA

I know what you're talking about.  Funny thing, I was just reading about the "Tamarillo" in my "Dr. Richter's Fresh Produce" book.  They have a bitter, inedible skin, golden pink flesh and two purple seed pouches that leave an indelible stain.  Lemme see if I can find a website....*wanders off*

Here ya go!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarillo

Homestead Diva

Likes (0)

#63 Mon 25 Aug 08 12:51pm

jabawock

Member since Sun 24 Aug 08

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1/2 pound cherry tomatoes (preferably assorted heirloom varieties), halved or quartered if large
6 cups packed tender purslane sprigs and leaves (from a 1-pound bunch)
4 cups packed flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 2 large bunches)

PreparationWhisk together oil, lemon juice, shallot, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Add tomatoes, purslane, and parsley, gently tossing to coat.

Cooks' note: Herbs and greens can be washed and dried 1 day ahead, then chilled in sealed plastic bags lined with paper towels. Toss with tomatoes and vinaigrette just before serving.

Got this off Google, hope it helps. Jabawock crossed

Likes (0)

#64 Sat 30 Aug 08 5:21pm

Lucyboosie

Occupation Work for nursing home, dairy farm, attend night classes Speech & Hearing Degree
From rural Pennsylvania
Member since Sat 30 Aug 08

Hi from rural PA Dairy Country!   kiss

My name is Stacy and my 11 yr. old Godchild Abigail and I would love to try more dandelion recipes if anyone has any great unusual recipes.  My old neighbor told me they used to make poor man's fried mushrooms which were dandelion blossoms dipped in beaten egg with seasoning and dropped & pan fried in a skillet with a little oil.  I did try that and found they were delicious.  We also have lots of watercress growing up around in the natural springs on our farm.  I haven't used watercress much except in salads, so I would love to hear about other dishes to use this free vegetable growing every year on our property but goes to waste sadly.

My neighbor also told me that people in England treat dandelions more as a vegetable unlike us here in the States that consider it as a nuisance and a weed.

Drink Milk!
Stacy & Abigail

Likes (0)

#65 Mon 01 Sep 08 10:33pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I find this poor man's fried mushrooms with dandelion blossoms worth a golden medal for creativity, if we only could find out who invented it.
Otherwise it should be consigned to your old neighbour who told you the recipe.
GrazieStacy and Abigail!
We crop dandelion before it blossoms and cook in boiling salted water, then sautée in a frying pan with oil and garlic, or simply in insalata with oil and vinegar, after being boiled and drained.

Eat fresh homemade yogurth!

ciao maddalena

Likes (0)

#66 Mon 01 Sep 08 10:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've added watercress to chicken soup at the end of cooking, it adds a slightly salty flavor.

Likes (0)

#67 Wed 03 Sep 08 2:41am

fireman31

Occupation Career Firefighter
From Oromocto New Brunswick, Canada
Member since Wed 03 Sep 08

Hello Jamie,
Just wanted to say i am new here but really enjoy your recipes and shows.
I am a career firefighter in canada and i like to eat lean when i can because of my job.
I will seek out a new veg. or fruit not used or grown much much these days and post a recipe or two.
So hello to you and one and all!! 
                         God bless,

Likes (0)

#68 Sun 07 Sep 08 11:00am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Hello!

My Watercress Soup is simply a large chopped Onion & a little chopped Garlic & a large, diced Potato softened in a pan with a small lump of Butter, add a LARGE handful (or two, if you have little hands like me!) of washed & picked over Watercress, & a couple of pints of Chicken stock. Bring to the boil, lower the heat & simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft. Cool slightly, then blend until smooth. Add cream or creme fraiche to taste & check the seasoning. Loosen with more stock if too thick. Heat gently & serve. (You can eat it as a summer chilled soup just as well).

We get through lots of this in our house!

Likes (0)

#69 Sun 14 Sep 08 9:45pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

we discussed this of chilled soup last night at table, it's something I've never tasted. This summer I tried to propose veg-soup for dinner and everybody was  sad  and let it  for me, do you think one could eat also beans and potatoes soup with short pasta at room temperature? next summer maybe, tonight we were very happy to eat a hot minestra
big_smile

Likes (0)

#70 Mon 15 Sep 08 12:05am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

In the heat of summer (well if we ever get any whistle ) we like chilled soup for lunchtime because its light & refreshing. There are several I like to make: Watercress, Tomato & Orange, Fruit Soups, Spiced (chilli or cayenne) Red Pepper, Gazpacho & many more. Some are served from the fridge, some with ice added.

Amazingly, my boys (once they get used to the idea!) really get into them. The one thing to remember is that the taste has to be really intense, as chilling deadens some flavours a bit.

It also makes for no-fuss outdoor lunch parties.

Likes (0)