Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 27 Jul 08 10:47pm

southernshandy

Occupation Coffee shop manager
From Brighton, UK
Member since Sun 09 Mar 08

Chump chops

Hi everyone

What's the best way to cook chump chops? I have one recipe for them, but the last time I did it it was boring, boring, boring! I'm a quite inexperienced cook, so something simple and classic but yummy that I can't possibly get wrong would be very welcome!  help

Thanks everyone, I love this website!
xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 27 Jul 08 11:18pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Chump chops

Welcome to the forum, Southernshandy.  Now, what are Chump chops?
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 28 Jul 08 3:19pm

adajeannie

From South Africa
Member since Tue 27 May 08

hmm   Dont know either.....

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 28 Jul 08 6:05pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Chump chops are chops cut from the Chump of pig or sheep.

The chump is the cut behind the loin - in both lamb and pork you get chump chops or loin chops. Loin chops have a T'bone, chump chops have a round bone.

We will need to know whether lamb or pork chump chops need livening up before we can suggest a recipe.

But even better than either chump or loin chops are Barnsley chops smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 28 Jul 08 7:43pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Thanks, Geof.  Yes, I've seen them but I guess we call them something different here.  Just can't think of what it is just now.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 29 Jul 08 12:49am

southernshandy

Occupation Coffee shop manager
From Brighton, UK
Member since Sun 09 Mar 08

Hi again everyone!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'livening up', but they certainly need something! The other recipe I used was basically lots of chunky veggies in a roasting tin with the chops on top, a little bit of stock and a couple of rosemary sprigs, in the oven for 30 mins (I followed the recipe to the letter).  What I ended up serving was basically a fry chop, some dry veg and some very watery gravy that was virtually flavourless!  puke  I know I said I was an inexperienced cook, but I'm sure I can do better than that!  The chops shrunk by about 1/3 so maybe they need slower cooking??? I'm pretty sure the chops are good quality because they were bought from a proper butcher, not the lamb aisle in the supermarket! (My mum knows I'm into cooking so likes to buy me "exciting things" to try cooking....that way I'm obliged to invite her round for dinner!!!) I just haven't got the first idea what to do with them!

Thanks again...maybe one day I'll be giving cooking advice on here too?  smile

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 29 Jul 08 1:46am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

They do need slower cooking.

30 minutes is a reheat job for tough cuts of meat.

Heat a pan for about 5 minutes on full heat, add some oil (preferably groundnut, which has a neutral flavour and high burning point) and then the chops. Fry on each side, turning every 5 seconds, until evenly browned all over

Place in the roasting tray on top of some roughly chopped root vegetables, along with half a litre of good quality lamb or vegetable stock (ideally homemade), 250ml port or moderately fruity red wine, thyme, and rosemary and place into the oven

Turn the oven up to 120C. By doing this, you bring the meat gradually up to heat, which will help keep the protein fibrils from shrinking too much as the meat becomes hot enough to dissolve collagen (tough fatty tissue) into gelatin.

Cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours on this low temperature.

When the meat is cooked (taste it to check. Is it as tender as you like it? Is it the right colour? Don't rely too much on recipes. Learn to use your own judgement, and in future you'll be able to save bad recipes), remove it from the oven

Take the lamb out of the tray, wrap in tinfoil and store in a warm place (you could turn off the oven and store in there)

Strain the roasting juices through a sieve and discard the veg. Return the juices to the roasting tray and skim off any fat that has collected on the surface (use a ladle to do this)

Place the roasting tray on the cooker on full heat and reduce by a third.

Season the sauce to taste and transfer to a serving jug

Serve the lamb with accompaniments of your choice.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 29 Jul 08 4:34am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Could you point us to the original recipe, or to post it here?

The timing and method don't make much sense - 30 mins is too short for the vegetables, and too long for the meat.

With chump chops, I either cook fast and furious or slow and low. Either sear them briefly in a hot pan, or cook them slowly in a hotpot or stew.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 29 Jul 08 4:44am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Well, I suppose the same can be said of any meat, which is why I'd like to see the original recipe. I cannot think of any meat that benefits from 30 minutes of cooking.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 29 Jul 08 6:17am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Very common here, and often used whole in stews... I cut the  meat off them when they are cheap & use it in curries...

We have also marinated them & used them for BBQing (grilling) but Im not a big fan of this method.

Likes (0)