forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 30 Jul 08 1:23am

KrisGBC

Occupation Student
From Toronto, Cananda
Member since Mon 21 Jul 08

Really good Brussle Sprouts :)

Just roast themin the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper at like 500 for about 20 min, you want some bits to get all dark, make sure you toss em around evey 7 min or so, that way each little guy has a chance to get some colour, then as soon as u take them out of the oven toss them with some honey i prefer golden but i havent experimented with others i am sure they would be worth giving a shot, and serve right away they go all fantastic and nutty and sweet they are perfect i could eat a whole plate of them in one sitting, and its a good way to get ur kids to eat em cuz Lord knows most kids hate Brussle Sprouts

enjoy everyone smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 30 Jul 08 3:04am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Re: Really good Brussle Sprouts :)

Sounds great Kris, I wish I'd been introduced to sprouts this way when i was a kid. big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 30 Jul 08 1:51pm

SimonO

Member since Thu 26 Jul 07

My best one is a classic Christmas recipe:

Add Sprouts (whole) to boiling salted water, and boil for around 4-5 mins (depends on size of sprouts) until they are cooked, but slightly undercooked (should not be soft and squidgy). Put in iced or running cold water to stop cooking. This can all be done far in advance.

I generally will then halve them and then put some pancetta cubes or streaky bacon into a pan with some olive oil, and cook the bacon, I will also add Merchant Gourmet Chestntus and then add the sprouts and toss for around a minute or 2, adding some butter near the end.

Season with salt if needed and black pepper.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 30 Jul 08 3:20pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

My favourite way to cook brussels is with chestnuts.

Just boil an equal quantity of sprouts and chestnuts together in a little stock, drain and serve with butter.

The sweetness of the chestnuts and the slight bitternes of the brussels sprouts complement each other perfectly.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 30 Jul 08 6:26pm

BigSpud

Occupation Web designer
From Essex
Member since Tue 06 May 08

I'm with SimonO here, definitely chestnuts (I clear out the supermarket aisles in the New Year for jars of these that last all year) and bacon for sprouts.

A little maple syrup in the last few minutes frying doesn't hurt any either...!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 30 Jul 08 8:07pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

I like to make a vanilla infused beurre noisette, then blanch the sprouts in a vegetable nage, drain, and refresh ready for dinner.

To serve, fry some pancetta lardons and add some lightly crushed chestnut. Add the sprouts and cook, gently, for 2 minutes.

Pour the sprouts, lardons and nuts into a bowl and pour over the reheated beurre noisette.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 30 Jul 08 8:56pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

just steam a pan full of them leaving them a little crisp... no need to mess with them !

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 30 Jul 08 9:27pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Messing isn't necessary, but it makes them so much nicer.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 30 Jul 08 9:28pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I like crispy bacon and fried breadcrumbs on top.  And I agree that they suit being messed with very well.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 11 Mar 09 5:58pm

KrisGBC

Occupation Student
From Toronto, Cananda
Member since Mon 21 Jul 08

all these ideas sound great, i am excited to try them smile and messing is what making cooking fun smile

Likes (0)