Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 14 Aug 08 11:29pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

octopus

does octopus take the same time as squid to kook in pressione pan?

I would like to make it as salad.

otherwise? I bought 2 little ones and I'm going to make something of them tomorrow, plus a slice of sword fish I'll do on the bistecchiera with herbs and garlic and olive oil

heheh no imagination for fish

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 15 Aug 08 8:42pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Re: octopus

never prepared or cooked it myself but doesn't it take a lot of tenderising before cooking ?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 15 Aug 08 11:50pm

smile_seta

From The Philippines
Member since Mon 03 Dec 07

A lot of tenderishing? I never cooked octopus but I've certainly cooked squid many times already. Actually, the more you cook a squid, the more it becomes rubbery and therefore harder to chew, so it's not really "a lot". Regarding octopus, I'm not really sure, but I think they're almost the same since they're from the same species. Anyone?
shocked

Last edited by smile_seta (Sat 16 Aug 08 2:45am)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 16 Aug 08 12:03am

Blueeyeddevil

From Virginia Beach, VA
Member since Fri 19 Oct 07

Mamada,

Unfortunately I have never cooked octopus but I grabbed this from a site I trust(http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/cookb … prika.html):

How to Cook Octopus

Octopus must be tenderized or it can be tough. It is sold fresh or frozen; the frozen is usually pre-cleaned. If you buy it fresh, to make sure that octopus will be tender enough, freeze it for up to 2 weeks. With either one, when you are ready to cook it, put the frozen octopus straight into boiling water and cook for about 35 minutes, until tender. The time will depend on the size and tenderness of the octopus. Alternatively, pour plenty of water into a pressure cooker, add a bay leaf and a piece of onion, and bring to a boil. Add the octopus, cover, bring to high pressure, and cook for 15 minutes. Let the pressure cooker cool completely before opening it. The following is a more classic way of cooking octopus: clean and rinse the octopus and prick it all over with a fork. Bring a large pan of water to a boil with a bay leaf and a piece of onion. Add the octopus and cook for 1 minute, then remove it from the pan. When the water comes back to a boil, add the octopus again for 1 minute. Do this three times in a row, leaving the octopus to cook for 45 minutes the last time. Drain the octopus and rinse under cold running water.

Hope this helps!

BED thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 16 Aug 08 6:37am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 16 Aug 08 5:26pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

grazie everybody,

meanwhile I boiled it in a pressione pan, for 1/2 an hour with a savoured water and then spelato and cut into pieces dressed in insalata

it works      everybody enjoyed it yummy

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 16 Aug 08 10:47pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

back to my first octopus, now I have a little more time to tell what happened, since I wa in a hurry and did not read your answers until the octopus had already been eaten eheheh

so I had to divine what the news from the forum could be. In fact I put into the water all usual things I normally have one boiling no matter what fish, and I remembered having heard this trick of tuffare  (plunging) the octopus in boiling water for three times holding it by a tentacolo. then I let it cook as I aid in the pressure cooker for 1/2 hour.

At the end I had enough of it and let my husband do the rest; take away the skin, cut it into pieces and mix it with oil lemon garlic salt  and parsely

thanks again

maddalena

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 18 Aug 10 8:01am

pazzaglia

Member since Wed 18 Aug 10

I guess this is a little late... but I found a website that speaks to the tenderising, cleaning, and cooking of Octopus in the pressure cooker.  For next time!

I can't post the link, but google "hip pressure cooking octopus" and you should find step-by-step instructions with photos there!

yummy

Last edited by pazzaglia (Wed 18 Aug 10 8:02am)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 18 Aug 10 4:32pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi madamada, Im also a bit late but next time you boil octopus you may wanna add a glass of "aguardente" thats grappa or brandy cause it helps to tenderise it. I've learned this from people in Galicia, Spain. They're experts cooking octopus.
And as to your question: octopus takes alot longer to cook than squid yes.
Cheers thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 18 Aug 10 5:40pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Hi Mada. If you look in foodwise, I think I posted a method for cooking octopus, in Deb's and my Tapas page.

It isn't the same as squid, as some people seem to think, and it does need tenderising. Apart from Sergio's recommendation, the people in Galicia gave me two pieces of advice: freeze it overnight, and put a little copper - and old coin or a piece of wire - in the water as you boil it.

The dipping three times is to curl the tentacles, so you hold it by the head, or the centre if you've discarded it.

And please, don't skin it. That's an important part of its distinctive texture!

I think small octopus would take about 15min. in the pressure cooker. MIL used to do it that way, but she didn't add any water, wanting it to cook in its own juices, and it turned out stringy and rubbery oops

If you add plenty of water, it should be all right.

Likes (0)