Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 21 Aug 08 11:00pm

Pink Poppy

Occupation Nanny
From Surrey, England
Member since Thu 21 Aug 08

Chillies

Hi

My husband has had a bumper crop of chillies from his allottment.  Can anyone suggest any good receipes.

Many thanks

Pink Poppy

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 21 Aug 08 11:11pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Chillies

Hello Pink Poppy, welcome -

How about.........

Jamie's recipe for Pickled Chillies from his book "The Naked Chef"

Pickled chillies are absolutely superb.  They are brilliant because they can just sit in the fridge waiting to be used.  I particularly like to use them in stir-frying or in broths or to eat them just as they are with some cheese and bread.  They are really good and you should try them.

600gr / 1lb 5oz medium green chillies
15 black peppercorns
5 bay leaves
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
5 teaspoons salt
6 heaped tablespoons caster sugar
1 litre / 1 3/4 pints white wine vinegar or rice vinegar

For this recipe you must buy perfect green chillies without any blemishes (you can use red chillies but they will be slightly hotter).  Carefuly score from the stalk end to the tip on one side only and remove the seeds (use the handle of a teaspoon for this.  Pour boiling water over the chillies, let them sit for 5 minutes, then drain.  This will get rid of most of the seeds left behind. 
Next put your black peppercorns, bay leaves, coriander, chillies and salt into a large jar or other airtight container.  Put the sugar and the vinegar into a pan and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.  When this is quite hot, but not boiling, pour it into the jar with the chillies. 
Allow it to cool down and then put the lid on, put into the fridge and leave for a minimum of 2 weeks before using.  They will keep in the fridge for at least 4 months.

Jamie's recipe for Slow cooked and stuffed baby bell Chilli Peppers from his book "The Return of the Naked Chef" - makes 10 portions

These are the most fantastic thing. You eat the chillies whole and they are amazing as munchies with drinks, not too hot. At the same time they make lovely flavoured olive oil which I like to add garlic and bay leaves to for extra flavour. Great used on salads, over mozzarella and other cheeses, or pizzas and over pasta.

1kg/2lb 3oz small round baby bell chilli peppers
a bottle of olive oil
2 good handfuls rocket
1 good handful parsley or basil
1 small handful capers, soaked and drained
1 handful anchovies
10 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or enough to cover
Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Halve the chillies, remove the seeds and wash in cold water. Then drain. Tightly pack into a large earthenware dish and cover with the olive oil then place in the oven at 175C/325F/gas3 for about 45 minutes until just tender. Carefully remove the dish from the oven and leave to cool. Take the chillies out of the dish. Pour the olive oil back into the bottle it came from. Finely chop the rocket, parsley or basil and capers. Roughly chop anchovies and then mix everything up in a bowl. Just before you want to serve them, dress with the balsamic vinegar and season. Stuff the filling into the chillies and serve on a plate as tapas.

This is one of Jamie's recipes, but not in any of his books.  This is what I remember from seeing him make them on one of his tv programmes.

Small round red/yellow chilli-peppers, as many as you want.  Cut in half and remove the seeds (gets rid of a lot of the heat).  Put them in oven dish, add a couple of bay leaves and cover in olive oil (just the cheap stuff).  Bake at 200C for about 30 minutes.  They should be fairly soft but still retain their shape.  Allow to cool.

Chop together, but not to a mush, equal amount of anchovies and capers.  Stuff mixture into the half chillies, put in jar and cover with olive oil,

The chillies he used looked like the Cherry Bombs on the link below

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/varietys.html

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 22 Aug 08 8:44pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

I love curries and all manor of chilli spiced things like chutneys and such but I think the best use of chillies I've had to date is "piri piri chicken" (Portuguese). Lots of oil loaded with chillies, garlic, salt, pepper, few bay leaves and pour over chicken and leave over night in fridge....roast in oven... grill... bbq....

its odd how the flavour stays and the heat reduces....

Steve

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 22 Aug 08 9:56pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Just air dry them in one of those earthenware garlic pots with holes and use them as required.  Or make some chilli oil; warm (not fry) your oil of choice with the chillis in it and then store the oil and chillis together for up to six months.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 23 Aug 08 10:39am

Pink Poppy

Occupation Nanny
From Surrey, England
Member since Thu 21 Aug 08

Thank you Guys for your help really appreciate it.

Pink Poppy kiss

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 24 Aug 08 11:52am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Google "chilli jam" for some great recipes...

Likes (0)