forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Fri 12 Sep 08 9:01am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: back to school / cooking for kids

I haven't got kids but as I was a kid who cooked (mainly cakes and gravy - because my mother couldn't be bothered with it) I liked to make sweets, things that could be taken to share with friends - so biscuits and slices. I also like making potato rosti (not that it was called that then, it was just grated potato cooked in a pan), and a mixture of corn kernels, cheese and pineapple in a bread roll (not as gross as you think).

I did find a great book called kids cooking when i was 23. A young cousin had it and she like that it wasn't kiddy with primary colours and stupid cartoons. http://www.magshop.com.au/Kids_Cooking.htm it covers all the basics like food safety and has some great recipes (the cherry ripe pudding is great - when i was in my pre-gluten free days).

Likes (0)

#42 Fri 12 Sep 08 9:05am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The White Rabbit wrote:

. . . a mixture of corn kernels, cheese and pineapple in a bread roll (not as gross as you think).

mrpab says:  -what, after 'snot blocks'? nothing will ever be gross again in comparison! lol  lol

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 12 Sep 08 9:07am)

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 12 Sep 08 9:21am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

big_smile

Likes (0)

#44 Tue 16 Sep 08 2:53am

mommytogirls

Occupation Occupational Therapist
From United States
Member since Tue 12 Aug 08

My girls (7 and 4) love the purple bush beans and purple asparagus we grow in the garden.  When you steam them they turn green like MAGIC!  Who would not want to eat magic veggies! 
For lunches, my older daughter loves yoghurt with fresh blueberries and mini carrots with creamed goat cheese dip.  I try to add a protien powder to the yoghurt since she will rarely eat anything else for lunch.  She also loves any little tidbit of cheese and meat held together with a fancy toothpick, she feels like a princess at a party with her fancy finger food.  Having a gluten allergy we have gotten very creative ith her lunches as gluten free bread does not hold up well when traveling from home to school.
Happy eating!

Likes (0)

#45 Tue 16 Sep 08 5:14pm

mariomalc

Occupation police officer
From weymouth
Member since Wed 26 Sep 07

Hi there.have you tried making fruit or veg breads/cakes? I do banana bread, carrot cake, and fruited tea breads for my daughter which she loves. I use self-raising wholemeal bread for even better goodness.

Also, if she likes pasta, try making a batch of Italian source with finely chopped onions, celery and carrot. Once cooked, you just blitz it all and you end up with a tasty and incredibly healthy sauce ... a good way of getting veg into the young ones.

I can e mail you my recipes if it helps.

Best of luck crossed

slbeckett wrote:

Help!

I need totally nut free lunch box ideas for a little girl who doesn't like cheese or soup of any kind. She doesn't seem to like anything I try to make a sandwich out of (although she tries everything) and contrary to all logic, she will actually go all day without eating if she doesn't like what she's offered! She is just starting all day school and I have to make sure she has something to keep her energy up.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Likes (0)

#46 Tue 16 Sep 08 6:34pm

Tolkus

Member since Fri 20 Jun 08

I have a friend, he is living in Poland with two kids. One day I was there hmmm for something (doesn't metter) and i saw what his children eat. He is going to McDonalds for a diner everyday because they don't want to eat nothing else, the colour of their skin is pale like snow and they are looking like a kind of zombie hmm . I told my friend that something is wrong and he should change nutritional habits. But he haven't changed anything from that time... help

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 20 Sep 08 8:17pm

djcollado

Member since Sat 20 Sep 08

Homemade Chicken Nuggets (mcdonald’s-style)

My kids loves this recipes, sometimes i make some in the morning to put them in their lunch box.

Ingredients:

* 2 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts (that’s 4 breast fillets)
    * 1 teaspoon of Salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon of Parsley flakes
    * 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano
    * 1/4 teaspoon of Onion powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon of Pepper
    * 2 Eggs, beaten
    * 1 Cup of Flour
    * about 1.5 Cups of Oil for frying (I used Sunflower seed oil)

Directions: chicken-food.com/recipes/chicken_nuggets_mcdonalds_style.html

Likes (0)

#48 Mon 22 Sep 08 7:37pm

budd034

Occupation food facorty worker.
From uk
Member since Tue 16 Sep 08

i have 5 kids so meal times are like feeding tim eat the zoo. the kids love shepards pie, pasta and a good old fashioned roast. thankfully they all love they veg. just any ideas for trying something new . which will feed an army lol.
thanks
Gav

Likes (0)

#49 Sat 04 Oct 08 7:08pm

Diivah28

Member since Sat 04 Oct 08

I've just turned 18 and personally find it easy to cook.. and love it!
I have just made a yummy cottage pie and its the easiest and cheapest thing EVER:
Simple fry some mince and onions
Add a tin of bachelors vegatable soup, a squirt of brown sauce, a few gravy granuals and some black pepper.
Simmer for 20mins while boiling some potatoes
Mash with cheese and Lurpak
Then pop in a dish and under the grill!
Serve with some thick gravy and veg of your choice.

HINT: make two and freeze one

MMMMM

Just wish Jamie would show people that recipe its so cheap and easy!

Likes (0)

#50 Sat 04 Oct 08 7:39pm

Mitch5007

Member since Sat 04 Oct 08

Hi All,

One of my favs is one I did for my daughter when she went to primary school, I got different dried fruits, figs, dates etc,, then I heated a pan of water until it boiled, then I added 2 fruit flavor tea bags to the boiling water, I then let it stewed for 5 mins simmering, take out the tea bags and take of the heat, then add the different dried fruits and then let the fruit soak for a few days in the fruit juice so put it in the fridge. then when you are ready you can chop it up and add to plain yogurt or eat whole very nice and full of natural flavor, please try buy fruit that has not had oil or other additives to preserve it

Please try and let me know what you think.

Miichael smile

Likes (0)