Re: back to school / cooking for kids

Sailboats and Canoes

1 Egg; hard cooked
1 T Mayonnaise
1 t Parmesan; grated
1 Celery stalk
2 T Cheese spread
1 Cheese slice
Cut hard cooked egg in half lengthwise. Remove yolk and mix with mayonnaise and parmesan. Fill egg cavity with yolk mixture. Cut ends off celery stalk, cut in half crosswise and hill halves with cheese spread. Cut cheese slices into four triangles. Stick cheese triangles vertically into egg mixture and cheese spread to form sails.

www.reciperaven.com

Likes (0)

#82 Tue 28 Oct 08 8:28pm

Reciperaven

Occupation Entrepreneur
From Table Top
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Making the dishes fun or giving them funny names might help children eat foods that they normally wouldn't eat. The recipe above is from a book were the dishes are named things like 'bunny salad', 'dead sea soup', 'home-made maggot soup' ect.

www.reciperaven.com

Likes (0)

#83 Fri 31 Oct 08 7:02pm

were90

Member since Fri 31 Oct 08

try this

Preparation time less than 30 mins

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

Ingredients
4 x 175g/6oz salmon steaks
65g/2oz butter
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 x 130g packets bacon lardons or cubed pancetta
2 little gem lettuces, finely shredded
200ml/7fl oz vegetable, fish, or chicken stock
225g/8oz fresh or frozen peas
2 tbsp double cream (optional)
3 tbsp chopped fresh parley
lemon, juice only

Method
1. Preheat the grill for at least 10 minutes.
2. Remove any pin bones from the fish.
3. Melt 25g/1oz of the butter and brush over the salmon. Season well.
4. Line a grill pan with foil, then place the salmon under the grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. When cooked, cover and keep warm.
6. Whilst the salmon is cooking heat a pan on a high heat. Add the bacon and reduce the heat.
7. Cook bacon for 2-3 minutes until the fat starts to run.
8.Add the lettuce and stir well to coat with the fat.
9. Add the stock, season and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered, for three minutes.
10. Add the peas, cream (if using) and parsley and give the pan a good shake while it comes to the boil.
11. Add the remaining butter and simmer for a further two minutes then add lemon juice.
12. Serve with the salmon.

Likes (0)

#84 Fri 31 Oct 08 7:22pm

gavin9

Occupation paramedic
From warrington
Member since Tue 04 Mar 08

Pass It On!
My two kids 11 and 3 have started to help more in the kitchen, however my 3 yr old has to put everything in to the flavour shaker!!!!!!!!  Its a start for them and as they get older they can do more and more.

Likes (0)

#85 Fri 31 Oct 08 7:56pm

were90

Member since Fri 31 Oct 08

hey gavin9 ill see what recipes i can give mrgreen  smile  big_smile  thumbsup  cool

Likes (0)

#86 Fri 07 Nov 08 9:55am

jams001

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

To start their interest in cooking when very little we used to do the actions while watching cooking programs, They hate school lunches and the fact that their food is not served on a proper late..I need totally nut free lunch box ideas for a little girl who doesn't like cheese or soup of any kind. clap

Likes (0)

#87 Sat 08 Nov 08 12:15am

jennielo

From leicestershire
Member since Thu 27 Apr 06

hey jams001,
have you tried a couscous salad like I mentioned on the last page? Also, I somehow managed to get my daughter to try a puy lentil salad tonight (just lentils, mixed lettuce leaves and a tiny bit of seasoning - she freaks out at the idea of a dressing!!!) and she really liked it, it has now given me loads of confidence to try her on things that I never even thought of before (unfortunately, she refused to try the lentils again once I had mixed them with vinaigrette and goats cheese, but I will persevere! plus there was all the more for my dinner lol).
I can understand the thing about not having a proper plate, my little girl has had school dinner twice in 14 months and both times asked why they have a strange divided tray.  I let her help me choose things for her lunchbox when we are shopping, and often give her a choice about what she would like to take in her lunchbox (but only give 2 options) and that way she feels like she is in charge of what she is eating. I have found a huge improvement in the fact that her box comes home empty each day.
I wouldn't even consider giving her a hot school dinner the way things are at the moment, her school are trying to improve the meals, but at the end of the day they say the county council are in charge of the money and the dinner ladies don't have enough training. It's sad, I consider her schoo, to be achieving very well in every aspect apart from this, there just doesn't seem to be enough imput from the powers that be into the future of our childrens diets, and while that is the case, I will continue to send a packed lunch. 
Woo, rant over  oops

Likes (0)