Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 29 Oct 08 6:29pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Vegetarians

In terms of vegetarianism - what do you do with the uplands where sheep and venison (and game birds) are the only thing worth raising.

You can't eat peat, heather and bracken, you can't cultivate the land for vegetables or grains, so as far as vegetarians are concerned,is dead land.

The same applies to the desert areas, where sheep and goat - and camels - can be raised, but vegetable - aside from palm and date trees, fail.

Or how about the Arctic circle - Lapland is great for reindeer - but they seem to be able live on moss and even lichen - and little else grows - apart, maybe, from Birches for mushrooms and Birch sap wine.

Vegetarianism is great for the temperate to Mediterranean lowland - but the uplands, deserts and Arctic circle are wastelands to the veggies, and great food producers to the carnivores.

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 29 Oct 08 7:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the froum plank  smile

Plank wrote:

Ummmm.....Beef Cattle actually do have "growing" cycles and optimum times for slaughter, dependent on the intended quality and usage of the meat.

The crops that are considered staple meat alternatives, such as beans and legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans etc) can all be preserved either by drying or canning directly after harvest, so they are actually way less perishable and more accessible than meat products.

I think some people are mistaking their opinions for facts?

But do we grow many of them in this country ? (eg the uk ) .

http://www.ukagriculture.com/crops/field_beans_uk.cfm

"Beans grown in the UK are known as field beans and are completely distinct from Navy beans - the source of baked beans. Navy beans do not successfully grow in the UK."

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 04 Nov 08 1:50pm

rasher

Occupation Structural Engineer & father of 3
From Brighton
Member since Mon 07 Mar 05

I've been pescatarian for over 20 years now and I cook meat for my wife and children, and I don't care because they have their choice and I have mine.

What on earth is the problem?

If I don't want to eat meat, I won't.
If my wife wants to eat meat, she will.
What business is it of anyone else to give an opinion on it?

I don't understand why people on both sides have to be so evangelical.

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 04 Nov 08 2:08pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I don't understand why people on both sides have to be so evangelical.

superlativo rasher
thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 04 Nov 08 2:09pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Why do some vegetarians not eat any fish or seafood?

edit:  I'm just curious, I'm not judging what others choose to eat or not eat!

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 04 Nov 08 2:10pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Tue 04 Nov 08 2:28pm

rasher

From Brighton

Probably because they don't agree with the taking of animal life for food.  But then people ask me why I wear leather boots and I have to say that I don't intend to eat my boots.  I have a friend I eat with often and we were grazing for a restaurant to go to, and we found a veggie place, and he said "but there's nothing in there for me to eat".  Unreal!
I think where it goes wrong is that people decide to make a choice to not eat this or that, and then a label comes out that applies to their chosen path.  They wrap that label around themselves and join a club with rules, completely losing sight of this being a personal choice.  They remain a vegetarian as defined in the rules even if they suddenly fancy a burger, or want a car that has leather seats.  Why?  Because you can't say you're a vegetarian anymore? 
If one day every 3 months I want to go to McDonalds and eat a Big Mac, but be a vegan for the rest of the time - I can!  If I want to only eat turnips - I can!   If I want only to eat off dark blue plates - I can!  You don't have a label and rule book for that? - I don't care! Good!

It seems crazy to me that people make a choice and then forget they have a choice.  It seems to be on both sides too.
You wouldn't stand at a cheese counter and say to the customers "You don't want to eat that one - this one is better, and don't touch that".  You'd get told to mind your own business.  Why is this thread any different?
mrgreen

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 04 Nov 08 2:37pm

rasher

From Brighton

The fish & seafood is a funny one.  If you eat seafood but not animals, what about snails then?  Would you eat a sea snail but not a land snail?  Why?  What about aligator or crocodile? 
It's just labels and belonging to a club, and it's really really daft.
Do what you want to do.  Personally the only club I belong to is the Denis The Menace Fan Club.  smile

Oh...and Madamada, that "superlativo rasher" sounds like a coffee.  Can I have one?   tongue

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 04 Nov 08 2:38pm

ush

From A place very unlike home
Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

MsPablo wrote:

Why do some vegetarians not eat any fish or seafood?

edit:  I'm just curious, I'm not judging what others choose to eat or not eat!

Because fish and other seafood is meat. smile

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 04 Nov 08 4:28pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Actually, vegetarians who eat fish are better described as Pescetarians, while those who eat eggs and milk products are known as Ovolactarians.

Some combine the two as in Pescetorial Ovolactarians

Those who eat only vegetables are Vegans, not Vegetarians.

And then there are the Fruitarians who eat only ripe fruit and the Nutarians who eat only nuts smile

And lets not forget the Raw Foodists!

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 04 Nov 08 4:42pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

do not forget people who eat just what they want  would those be wantists?

please rasher you have won your coffee

you know that in Napoli there were people who left a coffee payed for people who came later into a bar and did not have money to pay one, so they entered and asked if there was a coffeee "a disposizione"

troppo bello I do not know if this happens anymore big_smile

Likes (0)