Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:31pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: What are you thinking about in particular today.

I was just wondering about the light situation, really.  I want to stick one of those snazzy BiOrb fishbowls in the bedroom but if we do it tropically, so to speak, then the lights will have to be on for a fair amount of the day.  So am not sure whether to keep it as a cold water one with just a couple of goldfish, or try and cope with having lights on most of the night.   hmm  Also whether the upkeep of a tropical tank is a lot more work, and of course how much the heating and lighting will cost.  Apparently those tanks emit a fair amount of heat so we might save on not having to turn the radiator on in the bedroom...?  Ugh, I hate moving house and setting things up, all these irritating little decisions to make!   whistle

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:37pm

mumakataxi

Member since Tue 26 Aug 08

I am thinking I need to stop reading this and get on with some work.

and I only have to cook for 2 tonight as all the children are all at Grandma's - Yay

and I am totally confused about the whole itchy thigh debarcle - am I thick?

and it's really quite hot today (while I am stuck in an office - boo hiss)  help

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:41pm

proud mom

Forum champ
Occupation Proud mom....
From West midlands
Member since Wed 09 Apr 08

Anna with our tropical tank we turn the lights off everynight because believe it or not but the fish sleep too and they do sleep when the lights are off... Fish tanks use a minimal amount of electricity and are fairly easy to keep clean. As for the heat can't say that I really feel any difference with ours and ours is a big tank..
I would suggest that you try a small one first and see how you cope with it but if you have a tropical one you will need a pump for it and they can be quite noisy which may drive you crazy in the night if it is not rested properly... Hope this helps in some way honey  hmm

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:45pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Thanks m'dear, precisely what I'm worried about.  I was going to get one of these: http://www.reef-one.com/aquariums/biorb.htm , apparently they're idiot-proof so I'll be able to handle it, but I am worried about noise and light levels.  I suppose as long as I don't get anything too high-maintenance in the fish department they won't be too sensitive to turning the lights off etc...?

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:50pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Beast you are getting too serious this forum is supposed to be about fun

Jamie Oliver was never about being fun.

He actually invented the colour grey, you know.

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:55pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mumakataxi wrote:

I am thinking I need to stop reading this and get on with some work.

and I only have to cook for 2 tonight as all the children are all at Grandma's - Yay

and I am totally confused about the whole itchy thigh debarcle - am I thick?

and it's really quite hot today (while I am stuck in an office - boo hiss)  help

i think that abdulla was trying to get down a little 'words that ryme' sort of thing,

'gh' sounding as a 'y' in thigh hmm no really, it quite made a few of us laugh.........why does 'gh' in laugh sound 'ff' roll

have a ood day smile

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:57pm

proud mom

Forum champ
Occupation Proud mom....
From West midlands

Beast I actually said nothing of Jamie Oliver I said and I quote "this forum is supposed to be fun"  wink

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 28 Aug 08 1:58pm

Hadleigh

Occupation family support practitioner
From suffolk
Member since Wed 17 Oct 07

Hi Anna,
have had one of the biorbs, and although not completely idiot proof, it's a good way to start.
Pretty easy to clean, just watch the plastic stratching, as the algea builds up quicker in the grooves.
A good retailer will give you info, and also suggest suitable fish.We had tropical one, and turned lights off all night with no probs.
One issue might be though, if it's in your bedroom is the noise from the pump, which does not sound loud in the shop,  with the background noise, but in your room could be annoying.
Looks lovely though, and really enjoyed mine thumbsup  Good luck

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 28 Aug 08 2:01pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Ah, but this is a Jamie Oliver forum.

Although, I see your point. Perhaps this forum is supposed to be a projection of the frolicsome, jovial, joyous, happy, gay, fun personna that Jamie lacks within himself.

This forum, I suspect, is actually a Freudian phenomenon.

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 28 Aug 08 2:02pm

proud mom

Forum champ
Occupation Proud mom....
From West midlands

Honestly Anna the fish are fine with no lights on, we turn ours off about 10pm and the don't go back on untill around 10 am the next morning, with lights you have to turn them off anyway as the water will over heat and your fish will boil  yikes
You will be fine with that sweetie very easy to keep but if you have any other quieries just ask away or email me ok and will gladly help you out  big_smile

Likes (0)