forum: Food & Drink

#1 Mon 22 Sep 08 2:33pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Kitchen disasters

Well, haven't we all had them? lol
I had bread turn out flat like pancake, sauces that were too runny, turkey that would not cook (and guests waiting hours and hours), etc. Lemon bars that had the base over the topping. Black cookies. Sauce that separated. Rock hard sponge cake. (Actually I froze that rocky base to use in a trifle some time. The juices are bound to make it soft enough. - It's still waiting for that special day to come)

It's through those mishaps that we learn....

And some mishaps turn out to be the best new recipes!
(though probably not Mom's banana milkshake with salt or Dad's lentils with sugar, or .... lol They may not have made lovely snacks or dinners, but they certainly make lovely memories wink )

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Sep 08 3:22pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Kitchen disasters

Once, we all came to the table to eat and found our cat happily licking and chewing the cooked Thanksgiving turkey.  My mother washed the turkey and we ate it anyway!

I tend to whip egg whites for meringue until they deflate and once I still used them, resulting in meringue chewing gum.  I've made butter when trying to make whipped cream.  I caught nachos on fire while talking to a friend and not paying attention to my super hot broiler.  I then proceeded to sprain my ankle while taking the smoking, flaming baking tray into the back yard while stepping off the deck.  My friend told me she thought it was time for her to leave!  I have caught three toaster ovens on fire.  I had to take each one into the backyard and hose it down, those things just won't stop flaming.  I have switched to owning a toaster. whistle

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 22 Sep 08 3:25pm

sentinal58

Member since Mon 22 Sep 08

I would have to say my worst kitchen disaster was when my girlfriend was baking some muffins....

It was mid winter and my girlfriend decided it would be a good idea to bake us some muffins.... they must have been some of the most beautiful oatmeal and berry muffins she has ever made, I couldn't wait to have one.... as i took my first bite my  mouth filled with a pungent taste of garlic....Now let me tell you that when you expect a sweet berry taste and end up with garlic in your mouth it makes it ten times worse puke .... My girlfriend looked at me as I was making a face of digust and was wondering what she did wrong... this certainly wasn't the first time she made muffins so what whent wrong?

After going over every step of her recepie we found the culpret... It turned out that she had used some butter from the night before that i had made into garlic butter. you couldn't tell by the colour, but it smelled quite strong.... the thing is she was suffering from a cold and couldn't smell a thing....

So unfortunately a beautiful batch of muffins was ruined by stinky butter.... next time I'll make sure to lable everything....

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 22 Sep 08 6:53pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

One Christmas I was making red velvet cakes for presents.  One was going to my Mom and the other to my best friend.  I was making them from scratch.  The one that went to my Mom's house was served Christmas Day and was lovely.  The one that went to my friends was awful.   People were spitting it back onto there plates.  I really don't know what happened with that cake.  I'm sure I left something out or put to much of something in.  I should not have been making two cakes at once, maybe?!  It was hard to live that down!! tongue

Last edited by ANN (Mon 22 Sep 08 6:54pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 22 Sep 08 7:25pm

twelsh7898

Member since Mon 22 Sep 08

when my ex-husband and I first moved in together, he tried to make dinner one night. he was SUPPOSED to make Kung-Pao chicken with white rice. All we had that night was instant rice (i know, blasphemy). HE BURNT THE INSTANT RICE!! I'm horrified to admit it, but there you go!

Thanks Jamie

Taryn Welsh (Illinois, USA) lol

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 22 Sep 08 7:30pm

budd034

Occupation food facorty worker.
From uk
Member since Tue 16 Sep 08

My kitchen disater was when i use doing peking duck for  a dinner party i was doing with my ex wife and some friends. i had haved the duck and put the 2 pieces in a bambo steamer with all the marnaid over night. the next  morning came to steaming it. i had a wok of water with the steamer over it left it to steam away. about hour later the smell from the kitchen was lush filled the amormrs of ginge star anise, rice wine and soya sauce, i went in to check the wok, i asked my wife to lift the steamer off so i could see in the wok which by this time was bone dry then a small drop of fat from the dck fell into the wok and whoosh a gulf of flames. my wife dropped the steamer i was stood they with the wok a flame. after the fire had gone out i noitced that the kitchen celling had a scorch mark and that i had half my eyebrows missing. but the duck was lush.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 22 Sep 08 9:36pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Yes, well, obviously the my worst kitchen disaster involves someone else **** up, possibly due to a minor error on my part.

Either that or they don't use the kitchen enough

Seriously, there are several people above whom I suspect are not being entirely honest.

Now, I could list things I've **** up, training to be a chef and all.

Tried to make a kiwi sauce for chicken, thickened it with cornflour and ended up with a bitter, grey lump

Burned an entire pan of chicken chasseur (reduced to a black glaze)

Burned chocolate for souffles

Several hacked fish fillets and chickens 'cut for saute'

Burned onion rings (I decided, during a slow service, to batter and deep fry a chip. Halfway through deep frying, we were hit by a table of 13, all ordering fish, chips, and onion rings, all to be done together, in a fryer that can manage 4 portions of onion rings, or 2 portions of fish, or 6 portions of chips, or an amalgamation. It was nearly the end of the night, and God help me, I wanted my chip!)

Made a lemon meringue pie with a lemon filling that would not thicken (tried cornflour, tried making a sabayon, tried blast chilling it, was tempted to use lots of geletin to turn it into a jelly).

Made naan bread and forgot to put in the coconut cream, poppy seeds, and everything else

My first sourdough loaf (now making a new starter)

My first several attempts at meringue

My first several attempts at jelly

Last edited by TheBeast2 (Mon 22 Sep 08 9:38pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 22 Sep 08 10:55pm

Jay30

Occupation ... basking in the sun....
From Anguilla & Liechtenstein
Member since Fri 17 Jun 05

Lasy year Christmas we went back home to my parents and we were having a big family party - I agreed to make a stuffed Saddle of Lamb (Ramsay's recipe) as the main course for dinner. We went to the butcher to tell him exaectly how I need the meat to be cut so I can stuff it, got all the ingredients.

So on Christmas evening when we got the piece of meat the butcher did not cut it the way it was meant to be the side pieces were too short and when stuffed it was just impossible to fold over and tie together.

So I am in the kitchen, having not been home for Christmas in years, made a BIG speech about how great the food is going to be to the whole family and the thing was impossible to get finished, people were waiting.......

Anyway after a lot of improvising I got something together that remotely looked what I wanted and people seemed fairly happy.....

VERY EMBARASSING though.... oops

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 23 Sep 08 12:25am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Loads of little things, but no major disasters, mostly with me its clumsiness...

3 weeks back I had my My OH's sis & her fella here for dinner, lifting a hot pan of corn on the cob & peas to the sink to drain them I bumbed the edge of the sink, and lost the lot all over the floor, burning my feet a little with the boiling water. We washed the corn with a kettle of boiling water, but ditched the peas.

Same thing 8 years back with pasta, though I managed to catch most of it, while my my feet & ankles blistered, I still have the scars.

I once dropped a cast iron pan full of saute'd zucchini (cougette) and garlic, when I painted that kitchen a year later, I was still finding dried out slices of zucchini in the weirdist places...  oops

I tend to char things a little, but not to burn them beyond edibility. I put this down to my overly sensitive sense of smell, even with a cold or hayfever, Im usually first to small any bad smells.  lol  Dad calls it the nose of doom.  lol

Probably the funniest was making apricot chicken (about 15 years back) and I wanted to thicken it with instant gravy powder, got the jars mixed up & added a HUGE TBLS of ground cardomom My brother & his mates still ate it, but I put this down to amount of beer previously consumed at the pub.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 23 Sep 08 12:30am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

TheBeast2 wrote:

Yes, well, obviously the my worst kitchen disaster involves someone else **** up, possibly due to a minor error on my part.

Either that or they don't use the kitchen enough

Seriously, there are several people above whom I suspect are not being entirely honest.

Im sorry if Im not reading this correctly, but did you just call the above posters & forum MEMBERS liars, and crap in-experienced cook to boot? Seem a bit rude if that is your intent.

Likes (0)