forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 07 Jan 09 1:47pm

Anna1975

Member since Wed 07 Jan 09

Re: Mince beef and onion pie

I made this on Tues night. Let it cool Wed. When I got home from yesterday I put the pastry on and cooked for 40 mins. It went down a TREAT. I will be making this again.... (I only put 1 pint of stock in).....

This is such a tasty recipe, Think I will try the meat loaf tonight...

Anna thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 07 Jan 09 11:33pm

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Lol this is crazy,  so many people in this thread asking for those who have the book to pass the recipe on.  So many people who have made it who just won't pass it on.... hmm   Can someone take 10 minutes to type it out and pass it on?

Please..pretty please...with sugar on top  kiss

Last edited by Mrs_Master (Wed 07 Jan 09 11:34pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 08 Jan 09 2:22pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

CLASSIC MINCE AND ONION PIE

SERVES 4

3 Medium onions
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
olive oil
2 bay leafs
500g good-quality mince beef
1 teaspoon English mustard
1 teaspoon Marmite
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon flour, plus extra for dusting
1 Organic beef stock cube
500g shortcrust pastry
1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic, or a splash of milk.

TO MAKE YOUR MINCE FILLING

peel and roughly chop your onions, carrots and celery - dont worry about technique, just chop away until fine. Remove the rosemary leaves from the woody stalks and finely chop. Place a large casserole-type pan on high heat. Add 2 lugs of olive oil, all the vegetables, the rosemary and the bay leaves. Stir every minute for 10 mins or until the veg have softened and lightly coloured. Stir in the minced beef - breaking up any large chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the mustard, Marmite, Worcestershire sauce and 2 tsp of flour. Dissolve the stock cube in a litre of boiling water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with a lid slightly askew for about an hour, stirring every now and again to stop it catching.

TO MAKE YOUR PIE

Fill a large baking dish with the mince filling and allow to cool down. Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 mins before you need to roll it out. Preheat the oven to 180'C/350'F/Gas 4. Dust a clean work surface and your rolling pin with some flour and roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 1 coin. Once its large enough to cover your serving dish easily, wind the pastry around the rolling pin and unroll over the dish (dont worry if it breaks or tears, just patch it up - you'll get the hang of it!). Run a knife round the edge of the dish to trim off any excess pastry. Using a fork, press down around the edge of the pastry to 'crimp' it. Make a hole in the middle of the pastry using the tip of a knife. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg or a little milk. Bake on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.

TO SERVE YOUR PIE

place the pie in the middle of the table for everyone to help them selves. As its so scrummy and rich, its best served with some simply steamed greens like broccoli or peas tossed in a little butter.

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 08 Jan 09 3:17pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Just an extra tip.

If the mince and onion does look too wet, simply use a slotted soon to lift out the mince, then make gravy from what remains.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 08 Jan 09 10:26pm

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Thankyou Young Mum, your a gem  kiss

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 08 Feb 09 3:47pm

DavidG80

Member since Sun 08 Feb 09

I made this one earlier in the week and it was really nice. Quite a rich and meaty taste but far superior to the bland ones you can buy ready made.

I would recommend ensuring you get some top quality extra lean mince.

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 17 May 10 1:33am

Simey_Sonia

Member since Mon 17 May 10

I am originally from the UK, but live in Florida. I own loads of Jamie's books, and love what he has done for our schools in the UK and the USA. But this pie was VERY watery. Myself and my hubby loved the taste, and we let it cool down as per the recipe. But it was like soup and we had to go find the meat. I will reduce the stock by half. A Quart is way to much!! I still love your book and will keep cooking your recipe Jamie!!

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 17 May 10 12:20pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I made this pie last week - I cooked the mince and veg in the slow cooker for 4 hours adjusting the amount of liquid to allow - about 1 cup full.  Then thicken at the end of cooking, allowed to cool whilst rolled pastry.  It was very good, though I have to say my lot prefer it if I spoon the mince filling into the bottom of small pie dishes and add just a pastry crust.

gem

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 17 May 10 8:41pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

young mum wrote:

CLASSIC MINCE AND ONION PIE

SERVES 4

3 Medium onions
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
olive oil
2 bay leafs
500g good-quality mince beef
1 teaspoon English mustard
1 teaspoon Marmite
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon flour, plus extra for dusting
1 Organic beef stock cube
500g shortcrust pastry
1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic, or a splash of milk.

TO MAKE YOUR MINCE FILLING

peel and roughly chop your onions, carrots and celery - dont worry about technique, just chop away until fine. Remove the rosemary leaves from the woody stalks and finely chop. Place a large casserole-type pan on high heat. Add 2 lugs of olive oil, all the vegetables, the rosemary and the bay leaves. Stir every minute for 10 mins or until the veg have softened and lightly coloured. Stir in the minced beef - breaking up any large chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the mustard, Marmite, Worcestershire sauce and 2 tsp of flour. Dissolve the stock cube in a litre of boiling water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with a lid slightly askew for about an hour, stirring every now and again to stop it catching.

TO MAKE YOUR PIE

Fill a large baking dish with the mince filling and allow to cool down. Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 mins before you need to roll it out. Preheat the oven to 180'C/350'F/Gas 4. Dust a clean work surface and your rolling pin with some flour and roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 1 coin. Once its large enough to cover your serving dish easily, wind the pastry around the rolling pin and unroll over the dish (dont worry if it breaks or tears, just patch it up - you'll get the hang of it!). Run a knife round the edge of the dish to trim off any excess pastry. Using a fork, press down around the edge of the pastry to 'crimp' it. Make a hole in the middle of the pastry using the tip of a knife. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg or a little milk. Bake on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.

TO SERVE YOUR PIE

place the pie in the middle of the table for everyone to help them selves. As its so scrummy and rich, its best served with some simply steamed greens like broccoli or peas tossed in a little butter.

Right...just for the hell of it I decided to make this tonight.....following the above instructions...not quite to the letter

DANNY...if you should look in...on a domestic cooker, not one of your catering machines...

Obs. so far..used 400ml stock, a heaped DESSERTSPOON of flour....still after 40 mins had to whack the heat right up to reduce the cooking liquor..(Though to be fair there was a good slug of red wine in there)...

The pie is just about to go in the oven now....40/45 mins...

Will report  back later yummy or puke

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 17 May 10 8:50pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

My mum reckons a litre of liquid is way too much and I agree...I'd probably use 200ml of liquid and as Danny said earlier the mix MUST be allowed to cool before putting it into the pastry...I'll have to try this though, it seems a bit complex for a mince pie neutral

Likes (0)