Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 25 Oct 08 11:44am

Little_Emms

Occupation Super hero at weekends ;o)
From South east England, UK
Member since Wed 08 Oct 08

Ideas for an alternative to....

Morning people

I'm here to ask my new found yoda wise cooking friends big_smile a little advice (whilst wearing some body armour as I know I'm about to be "shot down"!) ...  oops

What is a good alternative to mushrooms in recipes? I love spag bol, lasagne and have Jamie's new book and want to cook the Chicken & Leek stroganoff and Chicken Chow Mein... both have mushrooms in...  I am looking to find a substantial alternative as am worried some recipes look like they won't be filling enough  help 

I said body armour as whenever I tell anyone .. they're all "OH MY GOD how can you NOT eat mushrooms"... seriously - its not the flavour - I can pick them out of things - I don't like the texture - I've tried and tried - I promise!!!! oops

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 25 Oct 08 11:47am

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Re: Ideas for an alternative to....

I'm the same Emms, my wife loves mushrooms but I have never liked them.
I keep on trying them, but I find the texture weird  puke
I keep telling myself if I keep trying them, eventually I might end up liking them  hmm

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 25 Oct 08 11:50am

Little_Emms

THANK YOU!!!!

So scared I'm not normal... well that's how I'm made to feel sometimes - I feel they have a 'jelly' texture  puke  - and I've never ate jelly - was a sad little girl at parties with only ice cream  sad

Like seafood too - my dad tricked me when I was little and told me Calamari was onion rings ...  puke  ... I've never forgiven him.... or rather I don't let him forget it  wink  !!!!

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 25 Oct 08 11:56am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Try frying your mushrooms instead of boiling them - the texture is completely different.

Alternatively, cut the mushrooms very small if cooking with meat.

In actual fact, mushrooms are mainly water - the point about them is flavour rather than nutrition, so missing them out will not significantly change the nutritional qualities if the meal.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:01pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

I always sautee them in butter and olive oil and cut them as small as poss, if I put them in a pie I can just about stomach them.

I only put them in as big boy Geoff states, to provide some flavour.

I cant do any type of seafood, I was also scarred as a child by the likes of shellfish  puke

My mum made me a cockle sandwich once, I had just the 1 cockle in 2 slices of bread and still hated it  roll

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:03pm

Little_Emms

Thanks Geoff but I don't like the smell when they're being fried!!! Plus i want something that actually 'beef's up a meal..... its not the nutrional qualities as such but more the quantity (if that makes sense) ...  roll  question

I was wondering about courgettes? I know they don't take as long to cook as most veg but do love them... any thoughts?

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:03pm

Singwhenyoubing

Forum champ
Occupation Professional crisp taster
From Essex.
Member since Mon 24 Mar 08

I love mushrooms myself - but then I am a funguy!

lol

I'll get my toadstool!

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:05pm

Little_Emms

*bdm tish*  wink  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Little_Emms , the different varieties of mushrooms vary much in texture and flavour.
I only ever cook mushrooms very lightly .Therefore keeping much of the texture.
I never add salt to the mushrooms as they cook ( unless its in part of a dish I'm cooking that I have already seasoned.
Sometimes I slice uncooked mushrooms finely and add them to a salad.

I think of mushroom as both nutrition and flavour .I have always considered them as a protein sorce for vegetarians.
http://health.learninginfo.org/nutritio … hrooms.htm

I do have a suggestion.. I have seen neither recipe, but I am wondering if Pok Choi (green leafy veg) will go well with the Chicken Chow Mein.
with the Chicken & Leek stroganoff , I think I would just leave it with Chicken & Leek ! ...maybe a few extra fine sliced leeks

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 25 Oct 08 12:28pm

marc_leeds

Member since Mon 30 Jun 08

what does bdm tish mean ???? HELP help

erm , i suggest little ems... aubergene, or butternut squash... they taste nice... and add mass to any meal... peal, cube and saute first for best results.... tongue

good luck hun... wink

i love the mushroon family.... chestnuts, and wild things are the best for me...
whistle
have fun...

M.  thumbsup

Likes (0)