forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 07 Nov 08 12:31am

Jamzicov

Member since Thu 06 Nov 08

Help I need to find fave beans!

There is a maltese dip called bigilla that I want to try making. I have lots of recipies for the dip but the sticking point is that I can not find the main ingriedient fave beans. I have been told that they are also known as dried split broad beans. If anyone knows how to get hold of these beans please let me know. Thanks.

crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 07 Nov 08 2:49am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Help I need to find fave beans!

Welcome Jamzicov

We really need to know where you are so that we can advise you properly!

Bigilla is a traditional Maltese snack, made out of beans. The main ingredient of bigilla is a special type of broad beans known in Malta as "ful tal-Ġirba", but you can use the similar Egyptian ful, or indeed almost any type of broad bean

Fava Beans are also known as broad bean, fava bean, faba bean, horse bean, field bea or tic bean, they are also known as lima bean; or  madagascar beans. In Egypt they are also called ful beans in Greece they are known as gigantes. When dried, Fava beans are often called butterbeans

Here is more information about Fava beans than you probably really wanted to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia_faba
http://www.fava-beans.com/

Fava beans are generally available throughout the world, and are normally stocked wherever you can buy dried pulses such as lentils, split peas, haricot beans, kidney beans etc.

I am absolutely certain that you will be able to find fava beans within a short distance of wherever you live - you just have to know where to buy them. If you would tell us your location, we can probably point you to the shop or type of shop where they will be available and if there is a supermarket in your area then you will find them with the rest of the dried beans, lentils and peas.

They really are very common, but f desperate for a bigilla, you can also use Chickpeas, Cannellini Beans, Soybens and navy beans - though the taste differs a little.

Hope I've been able to point you in the right direction, but if you are still unabe to find them, please post again with your location so we                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 can giveyou moreclues about what to look for and where to look for them.

Last edited by GeoffP (Fri 07 Nov 08 3:32am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 08 Nov 08 8:35pm

Jamzicov

Thanks GeoffP for your response. It has informed me of these beans many names which should make it easier to find. I live near birmingham. I have looked in shops like julian graves and holland+barret to no avail. I know that these beans will most likely to be found in a north african, arabic or even jewish food store. The only thing is I can't seem to find any.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 09 Nov 08 2:34am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Ah, if ou had mentioned birmingham, the answer wuld havee been much simpler.
Every Supemarket stocks butter beans (dried broad beans / Fava beans). Birmingham has several Halal saupermarkets - they'll usually stock them. Just look on the dried goods shelves, wth the rest of dried beans, lentils etc. -     should be very easy to find.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 11 Nov 08 6:08pm

Jamzicov

Thanks again. I shall now google search halal supermarkets..

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 19 Nov 08 12:41pm

beksmum

Member since Tue 18 Nov 08

I came across your forum during a google search for dried broad beans.  I'm getting more and ore confused.  Are fava beans the same as judion beans?  I can't find dried broad beans in my local health shops.  I recently bought some judion beans in the Borough Market in London which were eye wateringly expensive.  Also are fava beans butter or broad beans?  Are they the same or different?  I live in Halifax, so should have reasonable access to Indian foods.  Middle Eastern is more difficult.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 19 Nov 08 12:53pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE
Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

GeoffP wrote:

Welcome Jamzicov

Fava Beans are also known as broad bean, fava bean, faba bean, horse bean, field bea or tic bean, they are also known as lima bean; or  madagascar beans. In Egypt they are also called ful beans in Greece they are known as gigantes. When dried, Fava beans are often called butterbeans

Just for the history of it...Gigantes is another variety of Beans,,,and FAVA is totally another....they are not the same...Gigantes (in Greece are the LARGE beans that we usually cook in oven with tomatoe etc...the smaller beans we make a bean soup out of)
Fava is another thing, -in Greece usually we make a spread out of it as soon as it is boiled and put olive oli salt pepper etc...to add taste and serve as side dish- usually found in taverns on island-well known Santorini's Fava beans(sort of yellowish ) -and there are the Fava brownish ones as well
thank you

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 19 Nov 08 4:15pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Thanks Clarissa - all the names I gave, including Gigantes, are of varieties of Fava or Broad beans - Gigantes are the largest, of the dried broad beans - but there are not of a different species - all are within the species "Vicia faba" they are just different varieties.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 26 Jun 09 7:09pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Bigilla in Malta is made from dried broad beans dried broadbeans from Malta

Traditional bigilla is made just like this - Bigilla a Traditional Maltese broadbean paste

I also made another version using frozen broadbeans which works very well - Bigilla using frozen fresh broadbeans

Hope this helps !

Steve

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 26 Jun 09 8:19pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi Jamzicov, pitty you re far away. I've about 5 Kg of fava beans in my freezer and have no idea when Im gonna cook them cause my wife hates it...
Would be happy to give you some, if not all.

Well not all cause I love fava beans yummy

Likes (0)