forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 07 Nov 08 6:08am

Pumpkin12

From South Australia
Member since Sun 26 Oct 08

Freezing Potato

Hi Everyone on JamieOliver.com
I was wondering if anyone knew if you can freeze you own potato as they are quite cheap at the moment where I am. I was hoping that I could slice them up like wedges and freeze (like the packet ones you can get). When I make my wedges I cover them in oil and Turmeric then bake. To freeze them would I just slice them and freeze or would be best to oil them and coat them in spices first. Or does anyone know any other way to freeze them so I have a good supply when they go up in price again,

Cheers, Jess. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 07 Nov 08 6:49am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Freezing Potato

I don't think you can freeze fresh potatoes.

However here is some information on the subject http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod01/01600793.html

from http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod01/mod01p.html

Potatoes aren't very expensive and if you eat seasonally, then you just have them when they are in season (= when they are cheap)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 07 Nov 08 11:14am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Freezing Potato

We've had a glut of potatoes from the garden, so have frozen those we can't use easily.

You need to at least par cook the potatoes before freezing. Here's what I do.

prepare the potatoes, whichever way you like up to the up to the final cooking step.

For instance:-

Roast potatoes, parboiled and chuffed up in oil or fat.

Chips and wedges - either parboil and oil, or deep fry at 140C until soft but not browned.

Slices as for dauphinois or for topping dishes. Slice and parboil, either in water or stock.

Boiling and steaming potatoes. Cut into chunks and parboil briefly.

Mashed potatoes - just mash to final stage adding butter, milk or whatever as you like. Don't make the mash too smooth - a bit of texture helps.

OK - you have your heaps of potatoes ready. Freeze them separately on trays, lined with clingfilm, Mashed potatoes form into thin disks or little cakes.

Once frozen hard, pack in freezer bags, excludes as much air as possible, and seal well.

Will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.

When you want to use them, use them from frozen. Just allow a little extra time for them to heat up. Chips and wedges can be done in the chip pan or as oven chips in the oven.

Thin of them as a non-cheating Delia cheat :-)

Likes (0)