forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 11 Nov 08 5:16pm

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Vegetarian Christmas Menu - cooked by Danny!

Hi everyone,

I know that it may be crazy to be thinking of Christmas now but I have a special request and it is all about Christmas. We are busy building a Christmas microsite and we have had some inspiration that I need your help with.

We are going to post up an "alternative vegetarian Christmas menu" on the microsite. What we would like you to do is to respond to this thread with your vegetarian recipes for a Christmas lunch. Please make sure that these are your own recipes and it is fine if you just want to send in individual recipes and not the whole menu. We will then choose a starter, main and dessert. I will then cook this menu for a few friends or colleagues from work and film it as well for the Christmas microsite!!

We will also give you full ackowledgement on the site and also send you a personally signed book from Jamie. So please start sending me your vegetarian Christmas delights! The deadline to receive the recipes is the 24th of November.

Thanks and regards

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 11 Nov 08 5:27pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Vegetarian Christmas Menu - cooked by Danny!

Danny,  It is never too soon to be thinking about Christmas dinner.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 11 Nov 08 5:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Chestnuts
I love chestnuts cooked like this with Christmas dinner and then when they cool the cream sets and they are delicious as a sort of cold-thing-on-toast !!!!
I think that this might be quite nice in a pastry case although I have never actually tried it.

I use good quality ,  tinned chestnuts for this they are packed into the tin without any fluid
( I don't like the dense texture of the vacuum packed chestnuts that can be bought in plastic wrap and I had never heard of frozen chestnuts before this year .. I understand they are for sale in Salisbury's).

What I do is this...
I chop a  ** few shallots very finely and start to saute them in a **very  little butter until they are starting to lightly cook.
I add a ** splosh of white wine ....just enough to  to give a thin layer in the bottom of the pan , then I reduce it a bit to concentrate the flavour .

From this point its quite quick...
I add **double cream  and heat (but not boil ) it..... I suppose I use somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a pint of cream.
To this I add the** tinned chestnuts .I use at least 1 tin full but have been known to add more !!
Add the **Zest of a lemon
**Some fresh squeezed lemon juice
I often , but not always (as I am forgetful ).... add **a small handful of chopped parsley and sometimes a little fresh ground pepper.

I have never thought about quantities for this , I just add what tastes and looks right.

Lemon juice...
Lemon juice will thicken the cream
I always add to taste as I find that some lemons are sharper in taste than others .

This is always popular in our house.
I started making it about 20 years ago when I was putting things on the Christmas Dinner Table I realised that I had forgotten to cook a vegetarian meal for myself !!
Since then it has become a looked forward to accompaniment .
The cream sets as it cools and what ever is left after Christmas day often gets eaten with a bit of cheese (or cold meats) , or as my daughter does, simply of a piece of toast !!!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 11 Nov 08 6:03pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

just now I can only say BRAVOOOOOOOOOOOOO

every year we try to combine the two meat eaters' and vegetarians' esigenze so as to have everybody happy together at table and in the kitchen
well thought Danny and the team

seguiranno home recipes naturalmente
big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 11 Nov 08 6:16pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Does it have to be a full 3 course menu or can we suggest just one course too?

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 11 Nov 08 6:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I've only suggested an accompniment  oops

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 11 Nov 08 6:54pm

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Howdy,

My apologies, I should have made this clearer, it is absolutely fine to send in one suggestion, I have just edited my original posting

Dan

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 11 Nov 08 7:25pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I will throw in my Nona's Peperonata recipe  if that is ok.. It isn't mine specifically but my family's .  cool

Nona Maria's Peperonata

3 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced  ( you could add more but my Nona hardly ever used garlic )
1 small eggplant , unpeeled and cut in approx 1 inch cubes
2 small zucchini , ends trimmed and cut in appox. 1 inch cubes
1/2 tsp salt  ( I prefer kosher or fine sea salt)
6 to 8 roma tomatoes , peeled and chopped. these should be nice fresh and juicy tomatoes  . if you don't have that , it is better to used tinned tomatoes. Note:  the tomatoes provide most of the liquied need to cook the other vegetables .  If they aren't juicy enough you can add tomato juic or veg broth or even water
fresh minced italian flat leaf parsley
cup butter
fresh ground black pepper
parigiano reggiano ( for use when serving )
extra virgin olive oil ( to drizzle over top before serving)

1. heat olive  oil in a large heavy pot
2 Add the onion and saute for 5 mins or until soft
3 add eggplant , zucchini, garlic , and salt and cook for approx 4 mins while stirring often
4 Add tomatoes and juice /broth/ water if needed ( if using whole canned tomatoes make sure to break them up with a wooden spoon)
5 make sure to stir everything together well
6 bring to a boil
7reduce heat, stir , then partially cover
8 simmer for approx  20 minutes  or until everything is tender
9 before serving stir in the butter
10 Place on a serving dish and grate some fresh parmigiano over the top, grind some fresh pepper over the top,  filo d'olio  ( fine drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over the top at the end. the uncooked olive oil gives a great depth of flavour  to the dish)

this dish is meant to be a thick vegetable stew and not too liquidy like a soup.. It is great as a contorno  or can be eaten as an app with some really nice fresh italian bread.Of course other things could be added to this as the season in the garden dictated .  Have seenmy mother make it with  potatoes or green beans in here  or even beettops.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 11 Nov 08 7:27pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#9 Tue 11 Nov 08 7:35pm

Tommi M

Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

So well I figured that given the xmas, and a veggie theme I might add this recipe. I love it, its fantastic and amazingly easy to do (provided you buy the filo pastry as it can be a bit trixy!). I have to be honest this is my first post in here so if I have managed to copy somebody elses recipe from a little while back I apologise....

Ingredients (to serve 4):

8 Sheets (30cm x 20cm approx.) of Filo Pastry
A knob of butter
2 Medium Aubergine
3 Large Peppers (Green, Red, Yellow...colour makes presentation easy)
Mushrooms (A large punnet)
300g Gruyre Cheese
100g Parmesan Cheese
Olive Oil

Preperation:

Get rid of the stalks of the mushrooms and peel of the tough skin, though leave them whole as it adds good texture later on. Chop your peppers in half, get rid of the stalk and clean out all the seeds. Top and Tail your Aubergine, then slice into disks. Melt your knob of butter (microwave...it's easier lol) and try not to rip all of your filo on the way out of the packet :P

Cooking:

Lay out your Aubergine disks and Peppers (pepper skin up) on baking slips, drizzle some olive oil on and bung them in the oven (I go for about 180...), once this s done put some olive oil in a pan and get them on the hob, heat those bad boys and toss them about in the oil. Once they are browed off and looking scrumptuous, leave them in the pan and just turn the heat off. Turn your aubergine as they begin to brown and keep an eye on your peppers...

Once the Peppers are starting to burn a little on the top and go all wrinkly its time to whiz them out an get them into a bowl as soon as possible. The aim is to skin them, to keep the fillings texture smooth and opposite to the crunch of the filo later on. Once they are in the bowl the choice is yours, some people use cling film to steam them, however I use a saucepan lid as it allows you take one piece out at a time to skin. To skin just hold it still with a fork and scrape with the edge of a knife...if all else fails then fingers were made before forks smile

Aubergine should be done by now, check them out if they are whip them out of the oven and leave it on, but cool it to 160(ish).

Next is the gentle bit. Take your now melted butter and get it ready. Paste it (a little otherwise you'll be as fat as a house) onto a piece of filo and then grab your parmesan and get it grated (easier said than done but crumbled will do if all else fails lol. Sprinkle this all over your filo.

Next is the easy part, layer up (using an 8th of your vegetables...as there will be eight rolls...you guessed it two each)...starting with the aubergine then a layer of (now grated) gruyre, then pepper, then gruyre and last but not least your mushrooms (still whole).

You need to have placed these about 8cm from the bottom of the filo which would be placed infront of you like an A4 sheet of paper. Then fold the bottom of the pastry up over the pile. Now fold in the sides...making sure the fold the entire length of the spare pastry too. Then just keep folding the pile up and up until you have a neatly rolled package. Once this is done the oven should have cooled sufficiently to allow you to put the 8 rolls on a baking slip and leave them there for about 15-20 minutes.

You could serve this with the two filo rolls crossed and standing on one another as an elaborate starter or as a main course arranged nicely with some new potatoes and a green salad (maybe add some beetroot and french style dressing for colour and presentation).

Hope you guys like it, let me know if you have any ideas to improve it

Tommi M

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 11 Nov 08 7:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Can we stick some of these recipes on this thread also ,

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 61&p=5

(so we don't lose track of them after christmas )

Likes (0)