#1 Wed 26 Nov 08 9:48am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

meringue / pavlova ??

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please tell me how long a meringue base can be cooked ahead and the best way to store it before using?

I would like to do a couple before christmas, so I can decorate Christmas morning before going to lunch at my daughters.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 26 Nov 08 11:25am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: meringue / pavlova ??

The secret is - cool and dry - especially dry!

Meringue is hygroscopic - left in even slightly damp air it will draw water out of the air and rapidly start to weep and go soggy.

As soon as the meringues are out of the oven (making sure that they are completely crisp and dry, of course), cool them on a rack, then put them immediately into a sealable tin or plastic box. Keep this in a cool part of the kitchen, or even in the fridge.

As long as they stay cool and dry, they will last for weeks.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Nov 08 11:27am

shammrok

Forum super champ

Thank you smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 26 Nov 08 11:27am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Made primarily of sugar and egg whites, meringues are hydroscopic. This means that they absorb moisture from the air and will start to soften and 'weep' after just a few hours on the table. As soon as your meringues have cooled completely and you've satisfied your initial sweet-tooth cravings, pack the meringues into an air-tight container.

If you're using meringues as decoration or decorating the meringues themselves, wait to do so until just before serving. Even then only decorate as many cookies as you'll be eating. smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 26 Nov 08 11:29am

shammrok

Forum super champ

Thank you, I'll take the meringues and the doings with me then. smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 26 Nov 08 11:41am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Dry meringues store well, pavlova has a moister, soft center and I probably would not make that more than a day in advance.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 26 Nov 08 1:22pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Crunchy or gooey meringue?
For a crunchy nest to fill with fruit and cream,yum, you will need for 1 egg white 2 ozs sugar. Fine sugar- castor sugar- you could blitz granulated, you need smaller granules so it dissolves.
Pipe a circle on baking paper, then pipe on the sides, 2 deep should be enough. Set your oven on lowest setting and timer on for 7/8 hours, I do this overnight,
In the morning when cold remove paper wrap in cling film.
If your worried that once filled it will go soggy, brush insides with melted white chocolate,yum. Wrap in cling film store in cool dry place.
Make a few, may as well fill the oven, and I promise they will keep for months, I make 1/2 my income making merigues, all those yolks make brulee, or freeze to add to rich pastry, quiches/flans.
Good luck!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 26 Nov 08 1:27pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk

P.s. At this time of year I pipe the meringue into a christmas tree shape and stars, very festive and makes a real centrepiece, of course you'll need a big nozzle and bag

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 26 Nov 08 3:19pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

mincepie, what's your advice on flavoring meringue - what ratio of ground nuts can I add, other flavorings, etc?

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 26 Nov 08 6:24pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk

For a 4 white mix, I use 4 oz, whats that 200grms about, of ground hazlenuts, best flavour from whole nuts with skin on, blitz yourself, bought ready done not so good.A few drops of vanilla and a pinch of ground coffee beans. Goes well with raspberries.

Or, ground almonds.

Or, praline......make a caramel of 4 ozs sugar in fry pan add 2/3 ozs, flaked almonds.Tip onto baking paper, leave to set hard, and blitz to a powder.

Or very fine chopped chocolate, same amount as above.

Stir, whatever you choose into made meringue.
Meringue, cream, fruit, cant be beaten, my absolute favourite, simple and delicious.

Tips.....You've got me started now!
Old eggs whip better than fresh.
Frozen egg white even better.
Got a streak of yolk, scoop out with the broken shell,
Dont use a plastic bowl, stick to glass or metal.and all is shiney clean.

Goes without saying, make sure all utensils are grease free.

Likes (0)