Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 03 Dec 08 8:11pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Good News - Sort of

Sainsbury's announced today that they are going to source the meat for all their ready meals from the UK.

Good news for UK suppliers - but with it being ready meals, not so good news for consumers.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 04 Dec 08 5:57am

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Re: Good News - Sort of

Do you think consumers of ready meals are really bothered? If they are, then surely it's good news all round smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 04 Dec 08 1:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Of course they are not bothered - if they were, they wouldn't be eating ready meals sad

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 04 Dec 08 2:57pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Good news for British farmers, and slightly better news for animals, perhaps, but I don't think that most people who buy ready meals give a **** where the meat comes from.

Did anyone see a BBC3 programme called something like 'Britain's Most Disgusting Food' (available on iPlayer) - there was a catering "sausage" which contained 5% meat (the rest was connective tissue, skin, chemicals, fillers, etc.) and, in fact, it couldn't even legally be called a sausage. It was a 'banger with beef'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mischief/hot_topics/food.shtml

The tricks that the food industry pulls are outrageous, and it's put me off eating any sausage or pie that I haven't bought or made myself.

Last edited by john_lee (Thu 04 Dec 08 6:18pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 04 Dec 08 5:55pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

puke  puke

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 01 Jan 09 4:00pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Did anyone see a BBC3 programme called something like 'Britain's Most Disgusting Food' (available on iPlayer) - there was a catering "sausage" which contained 5% meat (the rest was connective tissue, skin, chemicals, fillers, etc.) and, in fact, it couldn't even legally be called a sausage. It was a 'banger with beef'.

I think I have seen this on tv is it where they had a stall and were feeding experimental sauasages to the public and the public said how tasty it was?   puke

Why do certain food companies have no pride in the food they produce anymore?

I am not sure whether years ago food tasted better or it just seemed to taste better because I was a lot younger.......what do you think?

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 01 Jan 09 4:05pm

1anarchopagan

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

john_lee wrote:

The tricks that the food industry pulls are outrageous, and it's put me off eating any sausage or pie that I haven't bought or made myself.

Nuthin' wrong with making your own. I have a grinder, a stuffer and a Texas-style BBQ smoker. When the pork shoulder can be had on the cheap, I stock up, and I make my sausage 10-20 pounds at a time. I smoke some of them up on the barbie, over oak. Good stuff.

Likes (0)