Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 10 Dec 08 3:09am

insanekitty

Occupation Web Developer and full time Jamie Evangelist for getting me cooking
From Gloucester
Member since Wed 05 Nov 08

Griddle pan's and temperatures

Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question, but I've noticed that alot of recipes say to put a griddle pan on very high heat for say 4 minutes and then add <insert food here>, but they very often do not say to turn the heat back down to say medium.

Would I take this to mean, keep the heat on high (unless stated), thus keeping the griddle pan at a screaming hot temperature, as I can never seam to get those nice lines in any of my food, for example when trying to cook my home made burgers, it just goes dark or burns if I press it down in the pan for too long.

Mark

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 10 Dec 08 9:10am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Griddle pan's and temperatures

Insanekitty - you need a grill pan, not a griddle pan, if you want to get "those nice lines".

A grill pan is a cast iron or aluminium pan, with raised "bars" on the surface.

A griddle pan (called in some areas a "girdle pan") is usually cast iron, but with a flat, smooth surface.

(People often get it confused over which is which smile)

Heating a griddle pan to a screaming heat is to sear the surface of the food. Its ideal for, say, thick steaks cooked very rare - 2 mins searing hot, flip, and take it off the heat for another 3 mins - perfect.To be honest, I wouldn't do that for burgers, but cook on a hot griddle - otherwise the burger would be covered with burnt bits.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 11 Dec 08 8:11pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

oddly my griddle pan is a thick cast pan (like a frying pan) with raised ridges across the bottom !

similar to this - http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/shopimages/large/L378.jpg

or this - http://direct.tesco.com/pi/Enlarge/7/SS … S97019.jpg

if you google "griddle pan" 99"% of the pans are like those !

Steve

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 11 Dec 08 11:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I make welsh cakes and scotch pancakes on my griddle plate, or as it is better known in my area.. a bakestone, it is a large round flat piece of iron with no sides on it .http://www.antiquekitchenalia.com/equip01bak.htm

I have a large similar sized ridged pan which I call a griddle pan , it has a slightly lipped side so that meat juices do not spill on the cooker.
I cook meat on it , including burgers, but, I do not cook the burgers on the same heat as I cook a steak on For burgers once I have heated the pan , I lower the heat and cook the burger on a lower heat.
For Steak , I keep the pan reasonably hot.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 18 Dec 08 6:56pm

insanekitty

Occupation Web Developer and full time Jamie Evangelist for getting me cooking
From Gloucester
Member since Wed 05 Nov 08

Thanks for answering my post, but I think there has been some confusion of the meanings, a griddle pan also has those raised bars on it as well, which is why I said my griddle pan as opposed to grill pan.

Even Jamie calls it a griddle pan, and has the very same pan that I bought in the Ministry Of Food book page 16, also Gordon R refers to it as a griddle pan as well and I'm not going to argue with Professional chefs (unless he is wrong) wink

Mark

Likes (0)