forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 22 Dec 08 6:13pm

grumpygrapefrui

Occupation Cheese taster and stable boy
From Flumserberg, Switzerland
Member since Mon 22 Dec 08

Your five favourite British Cheeses?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I sell the Best of British in Switzerland and try to get something new in every month or two for my very fussy customers.

I'll start....

Harbourne Blue, a hard blue goats cheese from Devon. This cannot be beaten!
Lincolnshire Poacher Vintage cheddar
Stinking Bishop
Sparkenhoe Red Leicester
Lanark Blue, a raw sheeps milk cheese. This made an elderly French customer cry a couple of weeks ago. He said this is what Roquefort was like 50 years ago. Or maybe he was crying because it was just British!

Of course, Stilton goes without saying. Cropwell Bishop for me.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Dec 08 8:16pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Your five favourite British Cheeses?

OK - how about

Farmhouse Blue Wensleydale
Cornish Yarg
Sage Derby
Shepherds Purse "Mrs Bells Blue" - your French couple will cry again smile
Bourne's Anniversary Blue Cheshire

I could go on - but enough for now.

These are the five I've just bought for the English section of my Christmas Cheese board smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 22 Dec 08 9:19pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

I do love a bit of Wensleydale, Grommit!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 23 Dec 08 12:51am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I'm so thrilled that I managed to get Wensleydale here in Sydney yesterday from the David Jones food hall.

I do love a bit of Wensleydale too Mr P (W&G fan!)

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 23 Dec 08 6:26am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

You guys are making me hungry for cheese!  I wish I could sample all those listed here..... sad

I'm also a HUGE Wallace and Grommit fan!  (also a huge fan of Shawn the Sheep show).

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 23 Dec 08 10:06am

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

mrpab wrote:

I do love a bit of Wensleydale, Grommit!

That's about the only one I know of haha...mmmmm...

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 23 Dec 08 1:07pm

grumpygrapefrui

Mrs Bells Blue - thanks for that, I'll look out for that on my next buying trip. I do stock Hawes Wensleydale, but neighbouring Swaledale is a much better cheese IMHO

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 23 Dec 08 3:10pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hawes Wensleydale is good - I know the man who was responsible for reviving cheesemaking in Hawes, when the Milk Marketing Board was about to close it down. But - if you can get a real Farmhouse Wensleydale - and preferably a blue cheese (the original Wensleydale was based on a similar recipe to Roqueforte), then it is simply heavenly. I suspect you would have to search the farmhouse to get it. Kit Calvert (sadly now dead) revived the cheese in the mid 30's, and one of the local vicars, Malcolm Stonestreet took up the challenge and rescued it again in the 80's - it was he who introduced me to the real stuff, taking a small group of us theological students on a tour of the farmhouses still producing it in the early 70's.

You might be able to get "King Richard III", which, although it is produced in Bedale, is based on a pre-war Wensleydale recipe.

Swaledale cheeses are excellent, especially their Swaledale Blue, and their waxed goats cheeses.

Over the last thirty years or so, English cheeses have gone through a real a real revival, or rennaisance, and will hold up against the best of the rest of the world - even France! I recall, way back when, 40 / 50 years ago, English cheese was in a dire state - mostly mass produced "mousetrap" - thank goodness that state no longer persists - you can even get decent cheeses in supermarkets now!

I'm fortunate that I am equidistant between two great cheese suppliers:- Czerwicks in Brighouse, and Roswitha's in Oastler Market in Bradford.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 23 Dec 08 6:25pm

grumpygrapefrui

Geoff

many thanks for all of the information. being a Yorkshireman myself I do try to find Yorkshire cheeses but I have to say I have not heard of King Richard III. I was impressed by Ribblesdale Goat and was about to buy some when I learnt that they have it made for them in Holland.

The only criteria I have for my cheese is that the milk has to be local to the cheese production. If not on the same farm, at least from the same village.

Mike

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 23 Dec 08 6:27pm

methusela1991

Member since Tue 23 Dec 08

Green thunder, now thats the best cheese ever.
from the snowdonia range i think?
but delicious  smile

Likes (0)