forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 Jan 09 4:21am

Duo

From Up your nose.
Member since Sat 26 Jul 08

Fridge vs. Countertop

I always keep my eggs in the fridge, but only because that's what I've always done. I've never thought about why I do it, and to be perfectly honest, I don't know. I'm assuming it's because I'm afraid they'll go off, but I've seen plenty of occasions where I see the eggs just out on the counter in a bowl.

I would rather like to know what the difference is, and whether there are advantages or disadvantages to either keeping them in the fridge or out of it.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 Jan 09 4:27am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Re: Fridge vs. Countertop

Eggs in the fridge will last about 2 weeks longer

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 04 Jan 09 4:42am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Eggs should be kept in the fridge
http://www.eggs.org.au/index.asp?pageid=353

Sometimes eggs that are cool from the fridge will appear to curdle creamed butter and sugar when making cakes. This can be prevented by taking eggs out of the fridge when you take the butter out and allow them to come up to room temperature (or near enough), or cured by just beating the mix with the eggs in it for longer.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 04 Jan 09 2:03pm

JennyR

From Whitby, North Yorkshire
Member since Thu 29 Jul 04

The White Rabbit wrote:

Eggs should be kept in the fridge
http://www.eggs.org.au/index.asp?pageid=353

The way I see it is if it was that important they would be sold from a fridge in the shop. Don't know about other countries but they certainly arn't round here.So they sit in a lovely pottery chicken on my shelf.  Never last long enough to consider 'extending life' by using fridge.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Jan 09 3:38pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Dead right, JennyR - really no need to keep eggs in fridge unless you don't intend to sue them for more than 3 weeks. Government recommendations always err on the side of caution - sometimes obsessively so.

Dunno about you lot, but eggs never last long enough here to get anywhere near going off smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Jan 09 3:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Why would you not refrigerate eggs?  It's a simple precaution!  You don't know how long the eggs were stored unrefrigerated on the farm where they were produced.  I would consider it a source of unclean clutter on the counter top where flying drips could collect, keep your counters clean and professional, free of clutter or things that aren't able to be thoroughly washed, it's a simple measure.  Temperatures fluctuate in homes, in our environment, all kinds of undesirable stuff breeds quickly in food left on counters.  In the U.S. eggs are refrigerated in shops.  The only instances I've heard of people not refrigerating them here in homes are those who have chickens and yet, they use up the eggs quickly or refrigerate them.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 05 Jan 09 4:14pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Eggs sold in boxes here are not refrigerated, and usually figure the day they were laid, at least on the box, sometimes stamped on the eggs themselves.

BTW, Geoff, you might want to think twice before suing your eggs. They can be slippery customers!  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 20 Jan 09 12:08pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I've always kept eggs out of the fridge, and they never sit around long enough to go off.  Mind you, there have been days this winter when I think the fridge has been warmer than my kitchen  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 20 Jan 09 12:12pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

That's the thing isn't it...................it depends how warm the air is around them! I keep eggs in an out house which is north facing & cool (read: cold!) all the year round.......yet one winter not so long ago it got so cold the eggs froze!
Definately warmer in the fridge that winter!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 14 Feb 09 8:45am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

I remember as a child we never refrigerated eggs, and we brought back 20 dozen at a time from my grandmother's coops.  But here's the deal, at least in America.  Natural eggs keep fine on the counter, but the eggs we buy in the store have the protective layer the hen secretes on them to seal them washed off.  It's the law.  They are then sprayed with mineral oil to mimic that seal but it does a mediocre job.  Eggs are porous--put one in soapy water and then eat it--nummy, soap!  Without the protective seal stuff gets in and they have to be refrigerated. 

Anyone know if they're washed in Europe?

Likes (0)