forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:47pm

kathy1224

Member since Wed 14 Jan 09

how long do you preheat oven as stated in recipies

Apologises

Im only just getting to grips with cooking and would like to know when its says preheat over How long before you put your meat in does the oven need to preheat

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:50pm

CarolineB

Forum champ
Occupation Triplet mom and IT marketing consultant
From Bodensee
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Re: how long do you preheat oven as stated in recipies

You should preheat it until it has reached your desired temperature. My oven turns off a light at that point. If your oven cant tell you, you could use a oven thermomether.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:51pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Normally about ten minutes. Some recipes instruct you to turn the oven on before you even start, and I sometimes find this excessive. It should be ok for meat, but for a pie, for example, I turn the oven on when the pastry's ready for rolling out.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:53pm

mercedes

Forum champ
Occupation Save a tree, eat a Beaver
From the boonies
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I have an electric oven and it usually beeps when it's at the desired temp--I'd say it usually takes 10minutes to get up to around 375

Gas ovens are much faster at reaching temperature----I agree with Caroline, and would use an oven thermometer!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:54pm

kathy1224

Member since Wed 14 Jan 09

Thanks a milliion  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 14 Jan 09 5:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

kathy, I recommend you try an oven thermometer, I was astounded the first time I did, what it revealed about my oven is that it needs a long time to heat and it takes forever to recover from having the door open.  All ovens are so different.  I used a convection oven for the first time recently, found it took a very long time to heat, 20 minutes.

edit: I agree with the above advice, also will note that my old electric oven takes longer than what's been mentioned and loses temperature fast, this is not a problem with long, slow braising, it makes a world of difference with baking or quick cooking, try not to open that door, let it really get up to temp before you open it.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 14 Jan 09 5:57pm)

Likes (0)