forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 Jan 09 4:07pm

elimaye

Occupation Grad Student
From USA
Member since Fri 16 Jan 09

rock salt HELP!

I'm planning on making Jamie's recipe for chicken baked in salt. The only problem is how do i get ahold of lbs of rock salt without paying a fortune. I know they sell the stuff you use to melt ice but I am not sure it its OK for cooking.

Help!

Last edited by elimaye (Fri 16 Jan 09 5:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 17 Jan 09 1:19am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: rock salt HELP!

There is a difference between Rock Salt, as used in cooking, and the "rock salt" used for de-icing - which is actually salt and grit.

Rock salt is the cheapest type of cooking salt - its just a coarse version of the table salt sold fine ground for use in salt pots.

Coarse rock salt should be available in supermarkets in big bags - make sure its the white stuff for cooking. No idea what they charge you in the US, but in the UK its "cheap as chips"

Just go for the cheapest cooking salt you can find.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 17 Jan 09 2:16am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Not quite.

Table salt has additives (such as an anti caking agent) that mar the taste of the salt, so rock salt is a courser, purer version of table salt.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Jan 09 6:01pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

When  doing a salt crust, minor variations in the taste of the salt are fairly irrelevant - unless you are really into eating the salt.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Jan 09 5:03am

magist

Member since Mon 19 Jan 09

Can u please tell me where you buy big bags Coarse rock salt that are cheap as chips in the UK.  My local supermarket only sells posh new-age Cornish Rock Coarse Rock Salt at 1.50 for half a kilo.  A spanish friend has given me a recipe to cook Sea Bream in a cake of rock salt.  I would take a kilo or two at least and at UK prices that would nearly equal the price of the fish.  A search of UK retailer on the internet produced Himalyaian salt at 30 a kilo and the stuff for icy roads.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Jan 09 5:37am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Last time I bought cheap rock salt in quantity, it was from Morrisons Supermarket. Can't recall the price, but it was in kilo bags, and so cheap that I actually bought it to throw on the garden path to melt the ice (it was food grade though).

I don't have the packaging, but I am fairly  sure it was mined in Cheshire.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Jan 09 6:17am

HomesteadDiva

Occupation Licensed Veterinary Technician and Homesteading Diva
From Belfair, WA USA
Member since Tue 29 Jan 08

Heya Elimaye, here in the USA you can purchase the rock salt at the grocery store just look on the aisle wherever they have the other salts, commonly in a box weighing about 4 pounds, it's usually about a dollar and the label mentions using it to make ice cream.  HTH!

HD

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Jan 09 9:42am

magist

Member since Mon 19 Jan 09

Morrisons Supermarket?

OK I will try there, thanks.

Likes (0)