forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 30 Jan 09 7:06am

tracyrees

Member since Fri 30 Jan 09

No Creme Fraiche in Australia any ideas for substitute?

Hello

Can anyone help me with a Creme Fraicher substitute?? A lot of my favourite Jamie Oliver receipes use Creme Fraiche BUT the only supplier of Creme Fariche in Australia - King Island Dairy have just stopped making it! I have tried sour cream but it just isn't the same. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Tracy

Last edited by tracyrees (Fri 30 Jan 09 8:51am)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 30 Jan 09 9:27am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: No Creme Fraiche in Australia any ideas for substitute?

As far as I know they still make it as it's still on their website. You could try to contact them. Some supermarkets don't stock it as it's not a popular product.

http://www.kidairy.com.au/Products.aspx?product=33

Two other brands

http://www.kirkfood.com.au/index.php?ac … =2327#2327

http://www.yeabrand.com.au/index.php?se … ageID=9324

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:35am

tracyrees

Member since Fri 30 Jan 09

Thanks, but I did ring King Island  today and even though it is on the website they have discountinued it! Bugger!! Thanks for the tips for other brands as i have never seen them before i will look into them and supply to my area!
Thanks for your help.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:40am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40012

Have a look at this link or do your own search. There has been quite a few posts regarding your question.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:52am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I've just got back from our biggest supermarket where I again searched for creme fraiche - no luck.

This is a question that has come up a few times since I joined the site.

What's funny is that my cousin in England texted me to see if she could use creme fraiche as a substitute for sour cream in my potato salad recipe.  I had made the potato salad when I last visited and used creme fraiche myself as there wasn't any sour cream to be had.  I couldn't tell the difference to when I make it here with sour cream but it is mixed with mayo and it's not heated.

If you find any tracy, could you please let us know the brand and shop.

Thanks.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:58am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Just found this article.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=50705

Crème fraîche, a French variation of sour cream, is a mildly acidic, high fat, slightly nutty tasting thick cream. Before dairy products were first pasteurised, crème fraîche developed naturally when the bacteria present in cream fermented it, causing it to thicken naturally. It is still available in this natural form in many European countries, France being the most notable. However, in Australia and the United States, laws require all commercial dairy products to be pasteurised so crème fraîche is manufactured through artificial fermentation, then re-pasteurised to halt the process, similarly to sour cream. Crème fraîche and sour cream can be used interchangeably in some recipes, but the former can also be whipped like cream and does not split or curdle when boiled. Considering how often it’s used in recipes, it is surprising that it’s so hard to find. We know of at least four different brands of crème fraîche available here – two made in Australia, one from New Zealand and the fourth imported from France – and one of the Aussie ones is available in large supermarket chains. All four can be found at good delis and gourmet food stores. Alternatively, use the somewhat-similar tasting light sour cream… or make your own crème fraîche! It’s certainly not a difficult exercise and needs neither special equipment nor a plethora of ingredients. Just mix equal amounts of thickened cream and sour cream in a glass jar having a tight-fitting lid; screw on the lid and allow the mixture to stand at room temperature overnight. You can keep this homemade version in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Interesting point about Australia and the U.S.A.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 30 Jan 09 11:16am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

That's a pain. But i guess it's not mainstream enoough to be a viable product

If you are in sydney try the pyrmont growers' market. Melbourne try the markets in the city. Adelaide, the central market will have some.

Pasturisation is important. Some people go on about unpaturised milk being better for you (i'm not read anything that supports this) but the risks are high if it's not done properly. I'd say Aust and US governments have taken the option of banning as it's easier than trying to control it safely to make sure no one gets sick. Some people here sell unpasterised milk as a beauty product. I'd not drink it unless it was really fresh and from a dairy farm that I knew did all the right things to keep it clean. I have had it a number of times as a child as a friend's family had a house cow. It was really cream and great to have warm (from the cow) on weetbix; however i puked my guts up once after a big milkshake of it...i think it was the fat content.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 30 Jan 09 12:04pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've had it in France and in the U.S., the U.S. version tastes very much the same, even if it is made in a different way.

Aren't there beneficial enzymes in cheeses and fermented foods that are destroyed during the pasteurization process?  Not that I want the U.S. to stop pasteurizing, but I don't worry about it in other countries.  I have had milk fresh from the cow next door to a relative in France, but she would boil that milk and skim it before it was used.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 30 Jan 09 12:14pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization it seems that pasteurising does not kill all micro-organisms (although i don't think an enzyme is a microorganism), just most to reduce the number of pathogens. I know nothing of enzymes but I reckon boiling and the pasteuration process are roughly equivalent in temperatures so any damage would be equal. Given that pasteursation has been around for a generation or more I think that medicine would have worked out if there was something lacking in our diet as a result.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 30 Jan 09 1:00pm

lazykitty

Occupation Toxicologist
From Victoria, Australia
Member since Mon 12 Jan 09

Its not quite the same and im not sure of the proportions but you can make your own creme freiche using double thick cream and adding lemon juice, you may need to experiment a little to get the taste and consistency you like but I have head that it works well.  crossed

Likes (0)