forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 01 Feb 09 2:19am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Beloved ethnic foods

don't let em get ya down mrpab..  Montrealer's are known for their distain of just about anything..  even the ppl who move there pick it up apparently whistle It is part of their distinctive charm..  lol

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#22 Sun 01 Feb 09 2:47am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

LadyChaos78 wrote:

As a New Yorker who has had pizza in Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, California, Washington State, Colorado, Massachusetts, Montreal, and Tel Aviv. I can tell you this I have never encountered authentic New York Style pizza outside the New York City Greater Metropolitan area.

Other pizza tastes nice too, even if it's not in new york or of that style. I think that it's a style of food that anyone can have their own version of.

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 01 Feb 09 5:33am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Fair enough. It was "new york style" in savannah. They also had oil cans (i think) of fosters beer, that always makes me laugh because no one drinks it here.

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 01 Feb 09 5:59am

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

LadyChaos78 wrote:

Yes I had a home cooked meal from a woman from Savannah. She was living in Kentucky at the time. All I know is I have never been so constipated in my life.

One home-cooked meal by ONE resident of Savannah determines that people from Savannah "don't have taste buds"? Are you for real?! Or did you mean to reduce your experience to a cultural stereotype and post in the Politically Incorrect Thread?

LadyChaos78 wrote:

The bottom line is my overly sophisticated Central European/New York stomach cannot take the heavy sauces, overt use of too much butter, and putting sugar in places it does  not belong ...

"Overly sophisticated" ? As opposed to what? Hillbilly-iron clad?  roll

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 01 Feb 09 6:04am

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

mrpab wrote:

LadyChaos78 wrote:

my overly sophisticated Central European/New York stomach

ah, what a burden your overly sophisticated stomach must be for you to bear, i'm so sorry - maybe we should start a thread for other sufferers of your affliction  roll

I think Southern food is delicious.  I just finished a meal of black-eyed peas.  They don't normally cause constipation; rather the reverse, as beans tend to do.

But shucks, Paw, I guess I don't have an overly sophisticated Central Europeen/New Yawk stummick.  roll

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 01 Feb 09 7:57am

runneralps

Forum champ
From GREECE,region of MACEDONIA,SKG
Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

" From a health standard it's just bad and if you look at areas of the south where that cooking style prevails you find not only high obesity and diabetic rates, but the highest cases of tape worms in the western world."

I fully agree with ladychaos. The most important in food is to be tasty and HEALTHY. I dont like(i dont want to eat) foods that will cause  me obesity and diabetes. Moreover  Hepocrates the father of medics used to say that " food is your medicine" and he was absolutely right. Try to eat everyday meat..meat meat,and meat. You will be a 100 kilos man,with hypertension ,obesity,diabetes problems and nothing more. Add to your daily lunch..food vegetables ,fish,herbs,olive oil  and you will see the difference.

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 01 Feb 09 9:02am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

personally I have no problem with someone characterising many southeastern US food traditions as heavy, high fat, high cholesterol and unhealthy - it's true, those traditions are there.
But you simply can't spew out generalisations like "People from Savannah have no taste buds", or that everyone below a certain line eats nothing but those unhealthy foods. Statements like that are so ridiculous, i can't believe i have to explain it - it's just not how reasonable people talk or write. It's hurtful.

p.s. - it's also possible to get awful New York style pizza in New York of course. evil

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 01 Feb 09 10:13am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

i have no doubt your experiences are as you described, but no matter how many examples you cite, i would still say that you can't generalise it to 'all people below the line are like that'. I guess you've just been tremendously unlucky to meet only one culinary type down there! There are many southerners on this forum who have proved to my satisfaction that there are different types as well.
And yes, I was born in Alabama (no banjo) and grew up in Maryland, all below that fateful line. And i think "biscuits with white sausage gravy" is the work of the devil. help

Last edited by mrpab (Sun 01 Feb 09 10:15am)

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 01 Feb 09 10:14am

runneralps

Forum champ
From GREECE,region of MACEDONIA,SKG
Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

Allow me to say that,as i understood, Southern cuisine is not so " healthy". Am i wrong? It will be very interesting to ready a study(im wondering if there is one) focusing on diseases  resulting from this kind of food.

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 01 Feb 09 10:27am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Aspects of southern cooking are healthy.  I had two college roommates who had parents from the 'deep south'.  They used a pressure cooker to make steamed collard greens, mustard greens, kale, beans, rice, black eyed peas.  Most of the food their parents ate growing up came right out of the family garden, they described having mostly vegetables and meats were used as flavoring because it was expensive for their families.  They used eggs and milk from their farms too.  Both of those roommates advocated eating lots of fresh vegetables, raw and cooked, both cooked everything from scratch and didn't use heavy sauces, but occaisionally some sausage or ham hock as a flavoring, not as much as you might expect from watching people like Paula Dean cook.  They both also advocated eating whole grains, whole fresh fruits.

While my friends' mothers were excellent cooks and health conscious, a once-in-a-blue moon treat would be homemade potato chips, they were experts at frying, but fully understood that it wasn't healthy to eat a lot of deep fried foods.

About the food being bland, some of it is, yet I happen to love really well made fried chicken.  My best friend's family was from Russia and Hungary and they are Jewish, they used to seek out the best fried chicken places and loved it as a meal out type of treat.

We travel a great deal internationally and love many cuisines.  I don't think you can generalize that all southerners prefer bland food.  I meet people from the deep south in our travels who are educated about food, culture and love trying foods from all over.  Recently we met a couple from the south in Vienna, Austria.  They had lived in the Middle East and in Egypt and had travelled extensively, loved many cuisines and had a great deal of knowledge about food and culture, they loved spicy cuisines.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 01 Feb 09 10:45am)

Likes (0)