forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:10pm

Helenw999

Member since Sun 01 Feb 09

Pork Belly Roast Question!

Ive got a question, ...

I went out yesterday (to Macro whole sale) to buy my peice of pork belly, I always buy massive bits of meat and cut and freeze them as its cheaper,

Now after watching the show, I had a picture in my mind of a flat boneless peice of meat... however Im shocked to find that most of it contains ribs.... and im not quite sure what to do with the rest, yes I can cook them up and have ribs but in the show im sure his peice DIDNT contain ribs...If I cut the bit off the end with no bones, that will do for my roast today but im just wondering if i have bought the right ... bit haha

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:15pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Re: Pork Belly Roast Question!

Hi Helen,

If you buy from a butcher, you can ask him to cut the ribs off, and in the supermarket packs the belly is ready prepared. I think you must have bought a catering pack - the chef will usually know how to de-bone the belly, and the bones can be used for spare ribs, or stock, etc. You can still roast the belly on the bone, although it might take a bit longer, or you could have a look online to find out how to de-bone it yourself - you'll need a sharp knife! Speaking of which, remember to score the skin well!

John

Try this link: http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/me … belly.html

Last edited by john_lee (Sun 01 Feb 09 1:20pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Helenw999

Don't worry about the bones !

The bones will add extra flavor and the meat will probably shrink away from the bones a little as it cooks.

I like to cook bellypork for quite a long time so that a lot the fat renders out.
I always make sure that the skin of the belly pork is scored realy finely , then I will either do as Jamie Oliver did in his show....
or... I place the pork on a rack over the sink and tip a kettle full of boiling water over the skin side of the pork then quickly rub it with a little olive oil and salt.
Tipping the kettle of boiling water over it sort of opens up all the slashes in the belly pork skin allowing then to be rubbed with salt. Then just cook the pork as you have planned.

I often cook belly pork onto of a heap of vegetables and apples so that it is raised up a little from the base of the tray and I find that by doing this the fat is easier to drain of .

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:32pm

Helenw999

Member since Sun 01 Feb 09

Great Thanks for that, I have had a look online for deboning instructions but it looks a little tricky, I think I will cut this up into 3 and make 3 meals out of it! lol

So I will be ok then just to cook it as per the show then remove the bones before serving?

ps: really like the apple idea, think I will throw one, or two of those in too haha thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:43pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Just follow this recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat … elly-roast

As Mummza said, the pork will start to come away from the ribs when it's done, and they will prob add more flavour.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Mar 09 3:22am

glow_worm

Occupation Customer Information Analyst
From Down Under
Member since Thu 14 Sep 06

I bought a piece of pork belly the other day (just realised I have frozen it in one piece when I meant to cut it in half).. I intend to braise it.  Has anyone got any "Need to know...." before I start? smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Mar 09 3:51am

a chef chris

Occupation Chef
From oxfordshire
Member since Mon 02 Jun 08

ok for me pork belly is my favourite i use it alot in the restaurant and this may help you out to helen

first take the pork belly and season all the way round with salt (bones in)

then place skin side down in a large tray that is deeper than the pork belly

roughly chop some carrots, celery, leek, onion and some garlic and put around the pork belly,
add the bay leaf, and peppercorns

cover the pork belly with freshly made chicken stock (if you do not want to make the stock you can use water and create your own pork stock to make a sauce or cook fondant potatoes in)

boil up a bottle of white wine and pour in with all the above

make sure you have covered the pork with liquid

cover the tray in tin foil

braise for around 4 hours on a medium heat

check the pork belly on a regular basis as the liquid will start to evaporate if this happens add more stock or water

now its cooked remove it from the liquid and place on a flat tray
2nd place another tray on top and press it with a heavy saucepan on top(if you do not heavy saucepans dont worry fill it with water for extra weight)

reserve braising liquor

leave to press over night

now you have the cold pork belly its alot easier to remove the bones, and its very easy to score, also you will have very tender pork

when removing bones trim the pork belly up into individual portions for easy serving

heat a non stick frying pan up
so once its all scored and trimmed up place skin side down in a pan and crisp the skin up for around ten minutes on a very low heat when the skin is crispy place on a tray and put through the oven skin side up and roast off

you will have tender pork and the best crackling!!!

my favourite way to eat this is with a celeriac and apple mash, garlic buttered broccoli, and a pork and thyme jus made from the braising liqour and white wine

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Mar 09 9:49am

glow_worm

Occupation Customer Information Analyst
From Down Under
Member since Thu 14 Sep 06

thanks for the info Chris. clap

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 26 Sep 10 7:36pm

Teacupj

Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

HELP! I have a 1090 grams of pork belly cooking in the oven as per Jamie's recipe...however with only 30 mins to go it doesn't appear to be as moist as both recipe and the forum had said! My family will only eat moist, melt in the mouth meat - should I just hang in there and time will make it moister or have I messed up and should I abort!

Likes (0)