Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Feb 09 1:39pm

RamiJackson

Member since Tue 03 Feb 09

Healthy lunchbox ideas

My husband is a labourer and im looking for some healthy lunchbox ideas that wont go soggy or take too much time/effort for him to put together.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 03 Feb 09 1:51pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Healthy lunchbox ideas

HEALTHY SANDWICH IDEAS

* Smoked salmon. Economise with trimmings, dress with a spoonful of low fat crème fraiche and a scattering of dill.
    * Avocado, thickly sliced, with crumbled grilled bacon.
    * Mashed banana and finely chopped dates.
    * Cold roast beef or pastrami. As a relish, cook finely sliced onions until slightly charred and leave to cool.
    * Spread breads with black olive paste, pesto or hummus, then add filling.
    * Make bruschetta: grill slices of ciabatta or other open-texture bread on both sides. Rub with cut garlic if you wish.
    * Drizzle olive oil over the bread, and top with mashed soft cheese like Gorgonzola, hummus and chopped tomato or parma ham. Pack close together in a box and cover with foil to keep the topping in place.
    * Thinly sliced ham, with finely sliced bottled artichokes or red peppers.
    * Brie or camembert, sliced, topped with finely grated carrot.
    * Mix canned fish like tuna or salmon with lemon juice, paprika, finely chopped onion and a little mayo.
    * Chicken, with cold roasted mushroom slices, or shredded watercress, or blue cheese creamed with a few chopped walnuts.
    * Sausage sandwiches – mmmmmm. Bake, broil or grill the sausages the night before and blot with kitchen paper to remove excess fat. Add gherkins or pickle, or mustard (and salad of course).

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 03 Feb 09 4:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I may stop skipping lunch . . .

After those tasteful suggestions, this one pales.

rice salads.  You cook the rice in a great deal of water and then drain off the water when it's fully cooked.  Add leftover meats like roast chicken or ham, or some shredded proscuitto, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, corn, bell peppers, arugula.  Dress very lightly with olive oil, lemon juice, add some torn basil. I think you're getting my drift . . .

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 04 Feb 09 5:24am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Chicken and corn wraps
Ingredients
125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
125g can corn kernels, drained
2 green onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (optional)
8 butter lettuce leaves
4 sheets wholemeal lavash bread
1 1/2 cups shredded barbecued chicken
1 cup grated tasty cheese
Method
Combine tomatoes, corn, onion, and sauce (if using) in a bowl.
Arrange 2 lettuce leaves over 1 half of each lavash sheet. Top with tomato mixture, chicken and cheese. Roll up tightly from 1 short end to enclose filling.
Cut each wrap in half. Secure with baking paper or string.

pasta salad
Ingredients
250g dried farfalle pasta
1/4 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
310g can corn kernels, drained
1/2 red capsicum, chopped
1 carrot, grated
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
Method
Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water.
Combine pasta, mayonnaise and lemon juice in a bowl. Add corn, capsicum, carrot, and tomatoes. Toss gently to combine.
Notes & tips
Variations: You could add finely sliced red onion, red kidney beans, cannellini beans or canned tuna.

Vegie meatball sandwiches

Ingredients
500g lean beef mince
1 small carrot, peeled, finely grated
1 small zucchini, finely grated
1 tbs tomato sauce
12 slices multigrain bread
2 avocados, halved, stone removed, peeled, mashed
2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 butter lettuce, leaves separated
135g (1/2 cup) hummus
Method
Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the mince, carrot, zucchini and tomato sauce in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix until well combined. Roll 1 heaped tablespoonful of mince mixture into a ball. Place on the lined tray. Repeat with the remaining mince mixture.
Place a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the meatballs in half.
Spread half the bread with avocado. Top with meatball, tomato and lettuce. Spread the remaining bread with the hummus and sandwich together. Cut sandwiches in half. Wrap in plastic wrap.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 04 Feb 09 6:23am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Small frittatas?

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 04 Feb 09 8:52am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

There are some fantastic ideas on this thread.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9413

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 04 Feb 09 2:56pm

radhika1980

Member since Wed 04 Feb 09

Hi,

Have you ever considered paneer wraps? Paneer is an indian cheese (sorry if I am telling you something you already know).  Its made by simmering milk (I use about a gallon) and then seperating the curd from the whey and then draining the water away (by hanging it for about 45 minutes).  I then put a heavy bottomed pan full of water on top to make a nice shape and then form cubes ( usually leave it for about an hour).  I usually make the paneer in advance and then its so quick and easy to make some lean wraps.

I marinade the paneer in chilies, garlic, ginger, salt, a generous amount of paprika and 1/2 tsp of garam masala and a little ketchup to coat.  Then I stick it in the oven until its golden brown and crispy on the outside.

I get some ready made tortilla wraps, a few salad items like cucumber, olives and lettuce and thats it.  They are soooooo delicious.

Let me know if anyone tries this recipe!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 04 Feb 09 8:58pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
    Likes (0)

#9 Thu 05 Feb 09 11:09am

RamiJackson

Member since Tue 03 Feb 09

Thanks guys these are all great ideas.  yummy