Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Feb 09 10:10pm

Ruthie2905

Member since Wed 04 Feb 09

New to all this - just saying hello!

Hey everyone, new to the whole forum thing but wanted to pop in and say hello... My partner actually suggested this site and forum to chat with other people about possible recipes for a one year old baby... We've been having a few difficulties finding new and original meal ideas for our baby boy, Ryan, and would like a few ideas if anyone has anything to suggest.

At the moment, Ryan is starting to finger feed so we've been trying to encourage as much freedom as possible but running out of ideas for different meals for him.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, so please stop by and say hello!

Ruthie xo  big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 04 Feb 09 11:04pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: New to all this - just saying hello!

Hi, Ruthie, and welcome.  My short answer to what to give my four one-year-olds (not at the same time, you understand!) was simply anything my partner and I would eat ourselves pureed, chopped, mashed or whatever was appropriate for the particular stage of development.  OK, nuts, Beef Madras and vodka jellies are all best avoided for a variety of reasons, as would be high salt and sugar content, but basically babies and toddlers eat food like the rest of us, albeit not necessarily in the same form.  I don't recall ever searching out a jar of processed gunk that claimed to be "specially formulated for your toddler" etc. and I believe my children had a better diet because of that and adapted to "real" food sooner and more easily.  I should add that I claim no speciality in infant nutrition or anything else remotely physiological so "the author cannot be held responsible..." etc. but I figure it's common sense and it worked for me and my children.  Oh, sorry, it wasn't so short after all.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 06 Feb 09 6:19pm

Ruthie2905

Thanks for your reply Mr Grumpy!! Been trying different varieties of our own meals for a while and some go down quite well, some don't... I forgot to mention in my original post that we are finding it very hard to get Ryan to drink anything with his meals, any suggestions for this?? We've been giving him cooled boiled water and Heinz baby diluted juice but he just doesn't seem to want to drink anything, apart from his milk bottle.  It's very frustrating as, without going into too much detail, he is in quite a lot of pain when filling his nappy  help

So, once again, everyone any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 06 Feb 09 6:28pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

I reckon keep giving him his milk and try and get something with a lot of fibre into him, maybe some barley grains stirred into a stew or something of that nature  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 06 Feb 09 6:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Hi Ruthie, welcome.  I suggest that you get some advice from your doctor so that you rule out other problems and certainly don't add tons of fiber if your child isn't consuming enough liquid, eating a high fiber diet requires consuming plenty of liquids or you will increase the problems.

Just out of curiosity, is the only beverage your child wants is milk, why not give him milk with a meal?  Also, have you tried putting water into his bottle?

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 06 Feb 09 6:58pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:39pm

Ruthie2905

Hi all, in reply to your post MsPablo, we've been to see the doctor about this problem to no avail, he just suggests to keep perservering with the juice or cooled boiled water.  We have been giving him water with his meals, but he just doesn't seem interested in drinking liquid along with his meals. Over the past few days he has been drinking more during his meals, but he does this from time to time and then goes back to not drinking anything apart from his bottle of milk! Will keep trying though... Thanks for your help!

Ruth

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:47pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

Ruth
Try gradually adding water to the milk and increasing the water amount daily little by little rather then cold turkey baby may gradually come round. Might be worth trying bottled water, I can not bear tap water it makes me sick, just can not bear all the stuff they stick into it to make it supposedly safe. Once it has been boiled it intensifies the chemicals in my opinion but I am no expert I just hate the stuff. evil

Likes (0)