#1 Wed 11 Feb 09 8:58pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Crepes and pancakes

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to making some crepes shortly....

I always tend to go with:

* ham and cheese
* tomato, onions, goat's cheese
* mushrooms and cheese

and the sweet ones are either:

* jam
* nutella
* sugar and lemon juice
* honey and banana
* or crepes suzette!

I was wondering if anyone had good ideas re: savoury or sweet fillings for pancakes... I bought some sarrasin (buckwheat) flour from the deli to make proper savoury pancakes...  wink

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 11 Feb 09 9:04pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Crepes and pancakes

I have made for supper crespelle with red radicchio, if it's "di Treviso" much better. finely chopped radicchio let it go for some minutes in a pan with some oil then spread it on the crespelle, wrap them and cover them with  besciamella and  grated parmigiano. Into the oven a gratinare until golden big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 Feb 09 9:48pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I had a simple apple pancake for lunch today. With cinnamon sugar on it. yummy
Good old childhood favorite!

My gran stuffs them with fried mince meat and serves them with a tomato sauce (white sauce + tomato concentrate). May sound weird, but is awsome. Serve with a salad on the side big_smile

Leftover batter I bake and eat with jam the next day wink

Sometimes I fill them with mushroom sauce. OH loves those too

My MIL makes wicked plum pancakes.

My Dad eats his with sheer white bacon puke and salad

The OH loves his with sausage slices baked into it.

A special treat for me are pancakes baked with blueberries.

(pancakes here in Germany are usually pan/plate size, thicker than a crepe, but usually not fluffy. Fluffier versions are usually not filled but often served plain with jam, treacle, cinnamon sugar etc).

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 11 Feb 09 9:49pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

On holiday in France as a kid I ate crepes with ice cream as often as I could wink

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 12 Feb 09 6:46am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Savoury stuffed crepes

INGREDIENTS

1 cup (150g) plain flour
pinch salt
2 eggs
2 cups (500ml) milk
30g butter, melted
Spinach and bacon filling - fills 8 crepes
2 bunches English spinach, washed and drained
quick grating of fresh nutmeg
salt and black pepper
4 rashers bacon, thinly sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups (500ml) milk
100g grated cheddar cheese
cup cream
Mushroom and chicken filling - fills 8 crepes
20g butter
1 small brown onion, finely diced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups (500ml) milk
2 cups chopped cooked chicken meat
100g grated cheddar cheese
cup cream
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
salt and black pepper

METHOD

Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the combined eggs and milk; gradually mixing into the flour with a whisk. Continue to whisk until a smooth batter forms.

The recipe is best if you can leave the mixture to rest for 30 minutes before cooking although it will work without.

Rub your crpe pan or frying-pan with a little of the butter on a scrunched up piece of kitchen paper. Pour a small ladleful of batter into the hot pan and tilt the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly. Cook for a minute or two on each side or until lightly browned. Use a knife or palette knife to flip crepes. Stack on a plate until ready to use. (Can be frozen at this stage, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap with layers of baking paper or 'go-between' between each crepe for up to 3 months.)

For spinach and bacon filling:

Place spinach in large saucepan over a low heat with the lid on. Cook, shaking pan occasionally until wilted. Place in colander over a large bowl and drain thoroughly. Chop coarsely; season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Heat a large frying pan. Add bacon and green onions and cook until bacon is crisp and onions slightly softened. Add flour and cook, stirring 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, half of the cheese and any extra salt and pepper you think it needs. Cool 5 minutes before filling crepes with mixture.

To finish the stuffed crepes, lay a crepe out on the bench top. Place a couple of tablespoons of filling mixture along the centre and roll up to enclose. Place in a baking dish, combine remaining cheese with cream and use to top crepes before baking. Bake in moderate (180C or 160C fan-forced) oven, about 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbling.

For mushroom and chicken filling:

Heat butter in small frying pan. Add onions and cook until just tender and translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour and cook, stirring one minute. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chicken, half of the cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cool 5 minutes before filling crepes with mixture.

To finish the stuffed crepes, lay a crepe out on the bench top. Place a couple of tablespoons of filling mixture along the centre and roll up to enclose. Place in a baking dish, combine remaining cheese with cream and use to top crepes before baking. Bake in moderate (180C or 160C fan-forced) oven, about 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbling.

Seafood Crepes 

Ingredients

- Crepes:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
   - Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup small cooked shrimp
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen cooked crabmeat, thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces)

Instructions

In medium bowl, beat all crepe ingredients with wire whisk or hand beater until smooth. For each crepe, lightly butter 7- or 8-inch skillet; heat over medium heat until bubbly. Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter into skillet; rotate skillet until batter covers bottom. Cook until light brown; turn and cook other side until light brown. Stack crepes, placing waxed paper between each. Keep crepes covered to prevent them from drying out. 

In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of the onions in butter, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Stir in shrimp, crabmeat, half-and-half and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. 

Spoon about 1/4 cup seafood mixture down center of each crepe; roll up. Place in 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. 

Microwave uncovered on High 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and crepes are heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons onions. 

Strawberry Cream Crepes 
Ingredients

- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- dash of salt
- Topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
   - 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries

Instructions

Crepe: In large mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs, butter & extract.
Combine flour, sugar & salt; add to milk mixture & beat until smooth.
Cover & refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat a lightly greased 8 inch nonstick skillet.
Stir batter; pour 2 tbsp into enter of skillet.
Lift& tilt pan to coat bottom evenly.
Cook until top appears dry; turn & cook 15-20 seconds longer.
Cool on wire rack/repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed.
When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar,
2 tbsp cornstarch,
3/4 cup water,
1 tbsp lemon juice,
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries.
In a small saucepan, combine sugar & cornstarch; stir in water & lemon juice until smooth.
Bring to boil over medium heat; cook & stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
Cool.
Add strawberries.

Filling:
1 cup heavy whipping cream,
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened,
2 cups powered sugar,
1 tsp vanilla.
In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powered sugar & vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.

To serve:
Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons of filling down the center of each crepe, roll up.
Top with strawberry topping.

Sweet crepes

You need:
2 eggs
cup of milk
cup of flour
teaspoon salt

Sweet fillings

1. Cooked apples, peaches or pears in thickened juices, with or without spices, with or without toasted nuts. Roll and sprinkle with sugar and brown under the grill.

2. Spread nutella on each crepe. Saute bananas whole, sliced lengthways or crosswise in brown sugar, orange juice and a little rum if desired. Place a couple of spoonfuls on each crepe. Roll and serve plain or sprinkle with sugar and brown under the grill.

3. Mix cream cheese, cottage cheese, quark or ricotta cheese with chopped cherries, toasted nuts, ginger, candied pineapple etc. Spread on pancakes, then roll, or fold pancake around filling and saute in butter. Serve with sour cream or thinned jam.

Method:
Combine ingredients in the order given in a food processor or blender. If mixing in a bowl, add egg then milk to dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour a measured quantity, for example, 2 tablespoons, into a smooth, sprayed or buttered, preheated pan.

Immediately tilt the pan so the batter covers the bottom in a thin film. If the batter does not spread thinly, add more milk to thin the batter before making the next crepe. Do not worry if the pancakes are not evenly shaped circles.

When the batter no longer looks wet in the centre, ease edges of the crepe from the pan.

Lift carefully with fingers, over wooden stirrer if desired.

Dry the second side without necessarily browning it. Remove from the pan. Stack the crepes until required.

Place them on a plate in a plastic bag to stop them from drying out.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 12 Feb 09 8:53am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

My favorite savory crepe is with salmon in a tarragon cream sauce.  Lately I have been mixing the tarragon into the crepes rather than putting it into the sauce and I am very happy with the results.  It's prettier, too, because you see the green specks in the crespelle.  They are hidden when they're inside.  So I wrap raw salmon and herb butter in a tarragon crespelle and then pour the cream sauce over and bake it to cook the salmon.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 12 Feb 09 10:38am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

For sweet, a wild blueberry filling with creme fraiche or whipped cream.  Had Crepes Suzettes not so long ago, I forgot just how good it is.

Recently, I had an inspiration for a buckwheat crepe soufflee, layer buckwheat pancakes (sized to fit souffle dish) with smoked salmon souffle, end with the souffle, serve with a creme fraiche sauce loaded with fresh herbs (the sauce would be a recipe my sister found).

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 12 Feb 09 8:16pm

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

MsPablo,

Would that be a recipe you would be willing to share?  It sounds so good! yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 12 Feb 09 8:29pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Loads of great ideas guys....  thumbsup  wink

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 12 Feb 09 11:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'll ask for the sauce recipe westie.  I haven't made the souffle/crepes yet, but want to try it.  If any of you develop the recipe, let me know how it goes.

Likes (0)