forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 23 Mar 09 10:09am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

All purpose flour

Just checking as to whether all purpose flour is self-raising flour (with baking powder already added) or plain flour (without baking powder added).
Thanks all smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 23 Mar 09 10:12am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: All purpose flour

No, all purpose flour is not self-rising, it's plain flour.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 23 Mar 09 10:14am

Mamma Carla

Forum champ
Occupation Many !
From from Florence living in Crete
Member since Thu 03 Jan 08

All purpose flour is a kind of flour used for all matters.Generaly you use hard flour for pizza,bread and generally food which has to double or grow in size. Soft flour is a flour used for cookies,cakes,creams. All purpose means that it can be used for all kind of recipes. It doesn't contains baking powder unless specified.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 23 Mar 09 10:18am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

Thank you...when I buy flour over here, it is labeled plain or self raising, that is why I was confused hmm Now I know....thanks again big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 24 Mar 09 6:51am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Plain flour is australian for "all purpose flour"

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 24 Mar 09 7:09am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

That is what I guessed after the answers I received tongue  Thanks WR smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 02 Feb 14 4:23pm

xpaulax08

Member since Sun 02 Feb 14

I was thinking the same, in England we also call it 'Plain Flour' not 'All Purpose Flour' and 'Self Raising Flour'. I quickly looked at a Jamie Oliver recipe for Fresh egg pasta and it stated 600g Tipo 00 Flour, so I spent ages on the flour aisle in asda looking for Tipo flour.. Asda who usually sell everything didn't sell this (well I couldn't find it ) so I checked another recipe when I got home and found this all purpose flour in 2 other recipes. Now I'm thinking this has to be plain, Tipo Being a grade 00 pasta flour.  hmm

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 02 Feb 14 10:22pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

in Italy 00 flour is meant for cakes and 0 flour is what I use for bread or pizza, even if my baker says not to use 00 at all being that too processed, so I've started using 0 or stone milled one which gives a golden colour to whatever you do

the less processed or kept in packets on shelves the more alive your flour is, stop thinking to shapes and good looking cakes concentrate on what you eat and do the rest with your imagination ...... said by me who eats with eyes first of all  oops  oops  oops  shocked  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 03 Feb 14 12:18am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

do you make pasta with 00 flour also Grandmadamada , thats what get sold as pasta flour here in the uk and what I use

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 03 Feb 14 1:40am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

00 flour is simply  how finely milled the flour is.  There are many types of 00 flour suited to different things.   00 does not define how strong a flour is. ,(ie how much gluten it contains. )  You can have pastry 00 flour with low amount of gluten all they way up to high gluten flour that is good for bread and such.

link to Divella website that show a few different 00 and 0 flours. http://www.divella.it/category/prodotti … o/?lang=en

if you look at the more information links for each flour you will see  the protein content.   the pastry type is 8.5%  while the 0 manitoba is 13% .

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 03 Feb 14 1:43am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (1)