Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 20 Nov 11 12:22am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Your Favorite Cookbooks!

Just bought an interesting cookbook called Make This Buy That. It is a guide with recipes on what is more economical to make than buy and vice versa.  Kinda cool.

Likes (0)

#52 Sun 20 Nov 11 12:30am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

What a good idea Coco,
I would be interested to cf it to what I do - I think I am individualistic in what I find easier or preferable to make myself... but maybe I would fit the cook book profile!

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 20 Nov 11 12:45am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

It has stuff in there like, make mayo it's cheaper but buy butter.  But it has recipes for both if you choose to make them.

Ooops got the name wrong it's Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese.

Last edited by cohphanta (Sun 20 Nov 11 12:53am)

Likes (0)

#54 Sun 20 Nov 11 4:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Well so far I fit the profile! cool

Likes (0)

#55 Sun 20 Nov 11 10:41am

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

My favorite cookbook is Elizabeth David's French Provincial cooking, which I came across when rummaging around the second hand bookshops at Hay-on-Wye. Apart from being a quaint little border town, most of the towns shops are second-hand bookshops. The town also has a colourful history..    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hay-on-Wye#Book_town

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 20 Nov 11 1:06pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Well so far I fit the profile! cool

As do I. It's really cool, she tells stories along the way about things she tried. Like she bough chickens and after investing a lot of money and time to get them, set it all up and everything the cost per egg was 2.00 per egg. So she concluded it's cheaper to buy! She also bought a goat...LOL

Not sure if my apartment complex would let me keep a goat.....

Likes (0)

#57 Sun 20 Nov 11 1:08pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

One of my favourites is Audrey Ellis, The Great Country Cookbook.

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/GREAT-COUNTRY-COO … B000GTENTO

This was a present from my late mother and a fantastic one at that. It covers all the traditional dishes of the British Isles.

I also have a well thumbed and ancient (1978) copy of The Dairy Book of Home Cooking, the one you can still apparently buy from your milkman, assuming you still have one.

Likes (0)

#58 Tue 22 Nov 11 8:30pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

I really can not choose ....aarrrrggggghh   I have about 400 +....I buy some from charity and second hand book shops,  I try and buy new when I can..... but I too can read them like a novel...... I get a taste in my mind and I go to the book cases and scan maybe picking 4 or 5 out to browse through   whistle  whistle  whistle and hopefully find what I want OR find something more tanterlising .....its really soooooo hard to choose ..

I have quite a number that have been mentioned ie.  All of Jamies up to date nearly all signed...Elizabeth David's its the three in one Hubby bought it years ago 60 , Mrs Beeton's, Nigella Lawson's, Delia Smith's ,Ina Garten's, Nigel Slater's,Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall to name a small few I will be here all night just telling you what I have got !!!

I will try to choose 5 and let you know

cookinlovebird   crossed  crossed

Likes (0)

#59 Tue 22 Nov 11 8:56pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

'Wines from the Countrisde' tongue  Ben Turner.  From a second hand book shop in GB, my favorite.

My 'other' cook books take so much space in the library that i can't think to post them...most French a few English.

Last edited by kye in france (Wed 23 Nov 11 1:36pm)

Likes (0)

#60 Wed 29 Feb 12 9:39pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

My first cookbook is one with Mexican recipes. Since I have it the longest it looks very used and due to the fact I have it so long I have used it most. Nowadays I use very often use "Jamie's Italy".

But I guess I would take a long time to cook one dish from every cookbook I have.

Likes (0)