forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 29 Mar 09 4:43am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Recipes for Eisbein please

Whilst living in Botswana we used to frequent this great German restaurant that served up this amazing dish called Eisbein.
My darlin hubby & a couple of mates have a ''cook-off'' every few months & this came to be from three of them boasting who cooked the best Guiness Pie so the ''cook-off'' was born with the three of them producing a pie with one difference, a secret ingredient from them all!
The absolutely best part of these feasts (& yes there now have been many thumbsup ) is they have to cook for their wives & this includes totally everything from preparing, laying tables, cooking, serving & cleaning up after.  Total heaven ladies yummy as we get to put our feet up, sip superb wines & champagne & consume delicious & amazing meals.
What fantastic little cookies they are! clap

Needless to say Eisbein is now on the menu & i do try & help a little by searching for some exciting recipes for my ''Darlin' & Belove'd" so any help with some recipes would be greatly appreciated. help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 29 Mar 09 8:54pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Recipes for Eisbein please

I have never cooked Eisbein myself. But the only way I know it  is cooked in a big pot of Sauerkraut. Served with potatoes on the side. Very good indeed wink

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 03 Apr 09 3:49am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

eisbein

Ingredients
2 cured and smoked pork shanks
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
1 carrot, cut into pieces
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh parsley

Method:
Place shanks in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot and seasonings. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until the meat is tender. Remove from the liquid. Score the rind and place under heated oven grill and grill until the rind is crisp. Serve with boiled potatoes and sauerkraut.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 07 Apr 09 1:24am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

I am not sure that Eisbein is usually smoked. Cured for sure though!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 07 Apr 09 1:27am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Looked it up. Not smoked.

Likes (0)