Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 05 May 09 4:52pm

dawnrigoni

Forum champ
Occupation nature addict
From austrian countryside
Member since Tue 24 Feb 09

homemade capers

Has anyone made homemade capers here, either with nasturtium seeds or any other kind of wild pods? I have discovered a flowering plant with delicious, spicy kernels and would love to make them into capers, but haven't found a good recipe....

Last edited by dawnrigoni (Tue 05 May 09 8:06pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 05 May 09 5:07pm

CarolineB

Forum champ
Occupation Triplet mom and IT marketing consultant
From Bodensee
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Re: homemade capers

Do you think of pickling kernels like you would do with capers?

You could preserve them with oil and herbs or with salt purely or with salted water. Do you need the exact ratio of ingredients?

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 05 May 09 5:20pm

dawnrigoni

Forum champ
Occupation nature addict

Oh, that's an interesting (and obvious!) idea, to preserve them in salt! Thank you! I did, however, hope to try pickling some, a bit like olives...maybe I should try adding them to a batch of the vegetable preserves recipe Jamie has in his At Home cookbook....

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 05 May 09 7:02pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Capers are properly from the plant Capparis spinosa, but if you don't mind that it's a different flavour young Nasturtium seed-pods (not flower-buds) do make an acceptable alternative.

Pick enough seed-pods on a dry day to fill a glass jar, make sure they are clean, top up with vinegar (spiced if you want it so)..........I spice mine:to every pint of vinegar I add a tsp sea salt & 5-6 black peppercorns, into a saucepan & bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes or so & pour over the Nasturtiums when cooled. I sometimes add a slice or two of fresh root Ginger or a mild chilli to the vinegar solution, but only if I have them going spare. Its better to make a few smaller jars than one enormous one, they make nice gifts to foody friends.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 05 May 09 8:07pm

dawnrigoni

Forum champ
Occupation nature addict

Great, thanks a bunch Minerva!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Oct 09 6:57pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

minerva wrote:

Capers are properly from the plant Capparis spinosa, but if you don't mind that it's a different flavour young Nasturtium seed-pods (not flower-buds) do make an acceptable alternative.

Pick enough seed-pods on a dry day to fill a glass jar, make sure they are clean, top up with vinegar (spiced if you want it so)..........I spice mine:to every pint of vinegar I add a tsp sea salt & 5-6 black peppercorns, into a saucepan & bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes or so & pour over the Nasturtiums when cooled. I sometimes add a slice or two of fresh root Ginger or a mild chilli to the vinegar solution, but only if I have them going spare. Its better to make a few smaller jars than one enormous one, they make nice gifts to foody friends.

Hi Minerva,  I've picked nastursium seeds today, plan to try this tomorrow. Do I need to leave them for a while once they are done, or are they okay straight away?
Thanks in advance.
ACDC

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 25 Oct 09 7:06pm

minerva

Forum champ

I do them around now, & leave them 'til xmas visitors start visiting.............usually mid-December.
Not sure how long they last as they don't make it past February!

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 25 Oct 09 7:24pm

ACDC

Forum champ
From Ireland

Thanks a million Minnie. To the rescue as usual. I made my green tomato pickle with the last of the tomatoes today, so that will be ready for the Christmas gift boxes too. I am now in pickling mood. Am also on a weeks leave so have time to do it.   big_smile
Thanks again Minerva.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 25 Oct 09 7:36pm

minerva

Forum champ

Have you tried making Piccalily? For those who like a picante pickle, it's lovely.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 25 Oct 09 8:37pm

ACDC

Forum champ
From Ireland

No I've never ventured a piccalily, it's kind of mustardy isn't it?  I've lots of large courgettes/marrows, I suppose they would be suitable. Have you a reliable recipe?
I'm going to do some apple chutney too and try to swap some apples for some of my friends plums.

Likes (0)