forum: Food & Drink
- Member since Sat 09 May 09
how do you cook them??????
- Forum champ Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
- From Sauerkraut Country
- Member since Mon 06 Oct 08
Re: lamb hearts
i usually keep mine quite simple and stuff them with breadcrumbs flavoured with plently of garlic, parsley and lemon, then braise them in white wine mixed with a little stock..i found the recipe below on the net...wouldn't mind trying it myself ...see what you think
Stuffed Braised Lamb’s Heart
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: Under 2 hours
4 prepared lamb’s hearts
8 streaky bacon rashers
For the onion and mushroom stuffing:
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
50g/2oz mushrooms, chopped
15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
2.5ml/½tsp ground mace
1 small egg, beaten
For the braising sauce:
15ml/1tbsp olive oil
15ml/1tbsp plain flour
200ml/7fl.oz good, hot beef stock
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
Dash Tabasco sauce, optional
100ml/3½fl.oz red wine
30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
2. Prepare the stuffing, heat half the butter in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and mushrooms. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
3. To make the braising sauce, heat the oil in the same frying pan, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the stock, tomatoes Tabasco (if used) and wine. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, season and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the parsley, cover and set aside.
4. Season the hearts and spoon the stuffing mixture into the cavity of each. Wrap with the bacon and secure with butcher’s string. Heat the remaining butter in the same frying pan and brown the hearts on both sides. Transfer to a roasting dish.
5. Pour over the sauce, cover and cook for 2 hours, or until the hearts are tender.
6. Remove the butcher’s string, slice and serve with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.
- Forum super champ Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
- From Wallerawang, Oz
- Member since Wed 29 Jun 05
Re: lamb hearts
Have a look here for how to cook heart.. he is talking about goat but they are similar.. he tells you how to prep them too.
Its a great blog if you want to learn a little butchery.
http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/2009/0 … vate-goat/