forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 06 Jul 09 2:05am

hkidww

Member since Tue 30 Jun 09

Baby Octopus

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how one could cook Baby Octopus? I have never used this ingredient before and the idea came from a cookshow called CHOPPED, which I watched late last night.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Wilhemina

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 06 Jul 09 1:15pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Baby Octopus

Octopus is a lot like squid in the sense that it either needs a quick cook or a lengthy stew to avoid being chewy.  I'm not a fan of baby octopus but when cooking regular octopus I blanch it quickly and then chargrill it very quickly.  Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 06 Jul 09 2:36pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

i agree with koukouvagia...either long slow cooking OR a few minutes in a pan or on a griddle...you could:

stew them in an olive oil,white wine,tomato, garlic and parsley sauce

boil them with lemon slices then serve them with olive oil and lemon

seperate the main body from the tentacles, slice the body open and score the flesh (criss cross) then griddle or pan fry quickly with a little oilve oil (keep the tentacles whole)...serve with an olive oil, lemon juice and garlic dressing...a bit of chopped chilli in the dressing is nice too  big_smile

hth
Allora

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 09 Jul 09 4:34pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hi Wilhemina

Hope all is well..... I chatted to Pete about this and here is his response:

"Well firstly you have to make sure that you clean it well, give it a good wash and pull off the beak and pat it dry. Get a nice big pan and put the octopus in there with some garlic and maybe some chilli and fry it gently until everything turns nice and brown. Water may come out of the octopus but you keep cooking then add some white wine and some tomatoes and simmer it very slowly. Itís lovely served with spaghetti or on polenta or even cooled down as an anti pasti."

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 10 Jul 09 7:50am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Octopus in Ranchero Sauce
Ingredients
2 medium onions
2 heads garlic
4 1/2 lbs baby octopus
2 bunches parsley
2 bunches cilantro
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
4 fresh green serrano chilies
16 cups water
2 cups light beer
6 cups water
16 medium plum tomatoes
1 1/2 medium white onions (peeled and sliced)
6 garlic cloves (peeled)
14 fresh green serrano chilies
1/2 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves
8 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cilantro leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
Directions
1 First roast 2 medium onion and 2 heads garlic in the oven (at 425 for 20 minutes or so until they start to caramelize). Alternately you can pan roast them in a cast iron skillet.
2 In a large pot place roasted onion and garlic, octopus, 2 bunches parsley & cilantro, peppercorns, 4 serrano chiles (whole), 16 cups water and beer.
3 Boil for 1 1/2 to two hours.
4 Remove from heat and let the octopus cool in the liquid while you start the ranchero sauce.
5 Bring 6 cups of water to boil with 16 plum tomatoes, 1 1/2 sliced tomatoes and 6 cloves of garlic and simmer for 30 minutes.
6 Strain out the solids (saving the Ranchero broth), puree the solids in a blender or Cuisinart with 1 1/2 cups or the retained broth.
7 Now, heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a tall thick pot and add 6 cloves of garlic. Simmer the garlic until it turns golden, remove them with a slotted spoon and carefully pour in the Ranchero sauce. This will cause splattering so I strongly encourage long sleeves. Stir like mad for the first few minutes until it's a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
8 Now strain the liquid from the simmered octopus and in a separate pan cook down to 3 cups. This should take about 30 minutes. Meanwhile separate the octopus from the veggies and toss the veggies.
9 While the ranchero sauce and octopus are simmering down take the final 6 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup of cilantro and salt and either in a pestle or a blender puree into a smooth paste.
10 Add the paste, octopus and reduced octopus stock to the ranchero sauce and cook for a final 20 minutes.

Greek Grilled Baby Octopus Salad

Ingredients
4 kipfler potatoes, sliced into 5mm slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
8 baby octopus, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lemon, juice of
1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
1 bunch rocket
4 tablespoons fresh mint, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, roughly chopped
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Directions
1 Place potato slices in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes and drain thoroughly.
2 Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and potatoes and saute until potatoes are light golden.
3 Char-grill or BBQ the octopus until opaque. (Don't over cook as the octopus will continue to cook after it is removed from the heat).
4 Combine warm octopus and potatoes with lemon juice, olives, rocket and herbs.
5 Serve warm with lemon wedges.

Chilli Lemon Octopus
Ingredients
2 kg baby octopus
1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons hot chili sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed
Directions
1 Remove and discard heads and beaks from octopus, cut octopus in half.
2 Combine octopus, rind, juice, oil, sauce and garlic in large bowl, cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
3 Drain octopus from marinade and discard marinade.
4 Add octopus to heated skillet or barbecue, cook over high heat until just tender.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 10 Jul 09 8:07am

runneralps

Forum champ
From GREECE,region of MACEDONIA,SKG
Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

hi
Baby octopus...hmmm depends how baby is it...if it is too small will not be as tasty as is a medium one  anyway you can try this way i describe in this link http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=1388

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 13 Jul 09 12:24pm

Sizzling_Chef

Member since Fri 12 Sep 08

Halve a garlic clove or two, add to plenty olive oil with some dried chilli if you like. Then throw in some chopped courgettes, fry for a few minutes and then add chopped up baby octopus, after a couple of minutes add halved cherry tomatoes. Cookfor a bout 20 minutes add some white wine and or fish stock, finally mix in some parsley. This is great with pasta...!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 08 Sep 10 3:51pm

eckart

Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

If you dive out an octopus, how would you treat it before using recipes above? I've heard the "smash on the rocks" technique... but what would you suggest?

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 08 Sep 10 4:48pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

eckart wrote:

If you dive out an octopus, how would you treat it before using recipes above? I've heard the "smash on the rocks" technique... but what would you suggest?

We did this when we dove for octopus.  Smash against the rocks for 5 minutes to tenderize then sundry.  We would hang them on the clothesline lol.

As with squid I strongly believe that freezing octopus helps to tenderize it as well although I have no idea why.

Likes (0)