#1 Thu 13 Aug 09 1:58am

bobsyeruncle

Member since Mon 12 May 08

**** %#$#@ Semolina Pasta

1 3/4 cups of Semolina Flour*
2 eggs
pinch of salt
maybe a teaspoon of water
*(or possibly Durham Flour, I can't remember for sure at this point)

I've made pasta quickly and easily a dozen times with white flour, but this Semolina is evil, evil stuff.  I hate it.  I actually wanted to call Jamie Oliver and ask him if he ever fought with this stuff for two hours with little to show for it but scraggly sheets of pasta. 

It didn't want to go through the machine.  It split on the edges.  It wouldn't take the thinest setting.  It wouldn't come out straight to save it's own life.  I actually stabbed it at one point.

Does anyone have any tips for this demon-food?  Are my proportions off?  Is it just a lousy ingredient?  Do italians posses voodoo like powers?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 13 Aug 09 2:30am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: **** %#$#@ Semolina Pasta

How coarse was the semolina flour?

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 13 Aug 09 2:32am

bobsyeruncle

It was pretty fine actually, which makes me think it may have been durum flour and not semolina...  Does it generally take a long, long time with pure Durum or Semolina to make it work?

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 13 Aug 09 3:36am

bobsyeruncle

Note to anyone foolish enough to try this at home.  I went back after about 20 or 30 mins.  It rolled through smooth as butter...  Again, I stabbed it.

Seems that letting this kind of dough rest is not optional.  At least not for me.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 13 Aug 09 6:02am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Ah Bob! This is the way of life! Try not to stab anything else and enjoy your pasta!
Big smile and wave!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 14 Aug 09 12:21am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Found on the web:

Homemade Semolina Pasta
PREP TIME: 1 Hour
MAKES: 1 1/2 pounds of fresh pasta

This recipe is from Chef Andrea Apuzzo of Andrea’s Restaurant in New Orleans. Andrea believes in preparing dishes with only the freshest ingredients to serve to his patrons. Before you can even think of making the Tomato Basil Sauce recipe that follows, you have to make your pasta from scratch. Pasta is one of the world’s greatest foods. It is delicious, healthy, and low in fat. You can make pasta in any imaginable shape and serve it with almost any food. Invest in a small pasta machine for your kitchen and make your own fresh pasta. It is no more difficult than making any other kind of dough and it gives superior results.

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups semolina flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
METHOD:
Mix the two flours together and make a mound on top of a clean surface. Make a well in the center of the mound. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the olive oil, salt and one cup cold water. Pour this into the flour well. With your hands, mix the flours and liquids together and knead until you have a ball of dough. Add up to another ˝ cup of water to help things along, as necessary. Work the dough by rolling it away from you on the counter while simultaneously tearing it in half. Then pull it back together while rolling it back towards you, always keeping some pressure on the dough with the balls of your hands. Keep rolling and tearing for five minutes, until the mixture is uniform and smooth. Dust with flour now and then to keep the dough from sticking. Make the dough into the shape of a bread loaf and dust with white flour. Cover with a dry cloth and allow the pasta dough ball to rest for five minutes. Cut off a piece of dough about the size of your fist and flatten it into a disk. Dust it lightly with flour. The dough is now ready to be shaped using your pasta machine.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Aug 09 11:41pm

Zardoz

Member since Tue 18 Aug 09

bobsyeruncle wrote:

1 3/4 cups of Semolina Flour*
2 eggs
pinch of salt
maybe a teaspoon of water
*(or possibly Durham Flour, I can't remember for sure at this point)

I've made pasta quickly and easily a dozen times with white flour, but this Semolina is evil, evil stuff.  I hate it.  I actually wanted to call Jamie Oliver and ask him if he ever fought with this stuff for two hours with little to show for it but scraggly sheets of pasta. 

It didn't want to go through the machine.  It split on the edges.  It wouldn't take the thinest setting.  It wouldn't come out straight to save it's own life.  I actually stabbed it at one point.

Does anyone have any tips for this demon-food?  Are my proportions off?  Is it just a lousy ingredient?  Do italians posses voodoo like powers?

First of all the semolina needs to be properly fine. Other than that, you need to mix it with plain flour. Without the flour, it's extremely hard to work with, as you found out. I usually use two cups of strong white and one cup of semolina. You can probably do half and half but it'd be harder to work with and the resulting pasta would be quite fragile. The result is well worth the effort though, I love the flavour.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Aug 09 11:55pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

do not give up and start by the eggs, be calm and happy, you are going to eat a bowl of homemade pasta big_smile
two or three eggs, a little water, (later, after you have done it for 5050 times you'll add other types of flour and it 'll be fine) a squeeze of lemon some salt, then add durum wheat flour and plain white 00 flour until you feel in your hands it's kneadable a bit still sticky,  wrap it in film and let it rest for half an hour or less if you are hungry,  do not worry you'll add more durum wheat flour every time you pass it in your pasta machine  later. before you cut it in tagliatelle or spaghettini (that's more difficult it always sticks togetheer) let it rest on teatowels to dry a little.

try again and tell us how it went  and above all how it tasted crossed
ciao from Italy

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 21 Sep 09 2:49am

book

Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I use: one large egg beaten with less than 1/4 cup of water, 4 ounces semolina, 4 ounces strong flour. Mix well, knead about five minutes until the semolina dissolves and the dough feels smooth (in the beginning the semolina will feel very grainy or sandy). Refrigerate under plastic for one to eight hours. Then roll through the thickest setting (folding in half each time) at least four times before stepping down the roller settings. Makes two large servings of fettucini.

I have heard that in southern Italy, they use only flour and eggs, in the north, only semolina and water.

Likes (0)