forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 28 Aug 09 10:06am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Choux Pastry

This is our challenge this week, and I was looking around the net and found this nice piece on its history
http://www.bitesizecooking.com/knowledg … ux-pastry-(pate-a-choux)
I was thinking of making something savoury, but I just can't get past the memory of the first time I ever had choux pastry. I was in sixth grade and we had an end of year party and someone brought cream puffs. I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

But if I make them who will eat them? My daughter will probably have one.
Someone will have to eat all the rest. And there is only me here.

Just me.

smile

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 28 Aug 09 10:46am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Re: Choux Pastry

Oh Joy, shame you are 12000 miles away.......I'd help you out and clear up.
We used to call them elephants feet, huge jobbies with coffee icing yummy
(Unfilled) Choux buns will freeze well, just quick blast in hot oven to recrisp.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 28 Aug 09 4:54pm

frankie-carboni

Occupation La Dolce Vita
From Sardinia, Italy
Member since Mon 17 Aug 09

Mincepie, that bought back such happy memories of office birthday do's - we used to call them Mud Huts!
Joy I used to do something savoury with choux which is basically spread it around the edge of the baking tin like a big sausage and then top it with chunks of tasty cheese that melts easily. I then baked it in the oven and while it was cooking made a spicy tomato sauce which I served in the middle of  the round of choux.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 28 Aug 09 5:24pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Gaugères

Choux Pastry
1 1/4 c nonfat milk or water
10 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup flour
5 large eggs
3/4 Gruyère cheese, grated
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced

Topping
1 large egg
pinch salt
grated Gruyère for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a baking sheet.

Choux Pastry
Combine, milk or water with butter and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Wait for the butter to melt. Turn off heat. Add flour all at once. Stir, stir, stir. Lumpy mush will become a nice smooth ball after a minute or so of stirring.

Transfer dough to a mixer. Add egg one by one at medium speed. Make sure to incorporate egg before adding the next. After all the eggs have been added, mixture should be thick, smooth, and shiny.

Add Gruyère, pepper and thyme by hand using a rubber spatula.

I use teaspoons to make the little ball's of dough.

To make topping, whisk 1 egg with pinch of salt and brush over each pastry. Lightly sprinkle each pastry with a little cheese.

Place pastries in the oven immediately and bake until are are puffed and browned...around 25 minutes. Serve hot or warm. Or let cool completely and place in an airtight container. Recrisp the gaugères at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.

I often freeze them too.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 28 Aug 09 5:33pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

My mom used to make beautiful swans out of them, with a lovely filling.... oooh I think I know what to make soon!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 28 Aug 09 7:58pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

I make gougeres as well... along the lines of Kye's recipe... I usually add some chopped parsley, some nutmeg, and some pan-fried bacon pieces...

I cook it in a huge crown shape on a buttered and floured pastry sheet... adding extra gruyere on top... enjoyed served with a big bowl of lettuce with french dressing, a glass of white wine, with your a$$ close to the chimney, on a cold winter evening...

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 29 Aug 09 2:23pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

O I so want to try those gougeres! It would work in a big ring too!
I have made my plain puffs and have been reminded how easy they are! I used a small recipe (2 eggs) which is good for my small family, and I had better freeze half of them anyway - thanks MincePie.
I will put cream in some tomorrow when we come back from seeing the new Hayao Miyazaki movie. Perfect!

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 29 Aug 09 3:14pm

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

Hey Joy, I'm in Melbourne.... I could help you with eating some......  big_smile  whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 29 Aug 09 7:00pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Joy, Gaugères are the savoury type, and the simple choux can be made into a sweet smile don't go putting cream on the wrong one's, you can even fill the last with vanilla ice cream and cover with melted chocolat and then you will have the famous profiteroles.

Give me a sign if you need the recipes, my eldest loves profiteroles every birthday.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 30 Aug 09 3:31am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Don't worry Kye! I have got the right ones! thumbsup
Ooo Flame, they will be so beautiful and cute! smile

Likes (0)