Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 03 May 10 9:23pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Padron Peppers

For anyone in the US who is interested (not sure if you can order them in Canada and Mexico or not) both Renee's Garden and Johnny's seed co has them.  Probably a little late to be starting from seeds but next year.

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Mon 03 May 10 9:24pm)

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 03 May 10 10:24pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
From Northern California

Waddaya think?  Just got around to looking at my May issue of Bon Appetit and on page 105, there is a recipe for Tetilla-stuffed Padrons by Chef Jose Andres who has a Spanish cooking program on PBS.

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 04 May 10 5:10am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
From Northern California

Found plants at the organic nursery today.  Bought two and will container plant them tomorrow.  Now all I need to do is find some Tetilla cheese.  Yes, Mr. Pab. some
CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 29 May 10 9:36pm

salanddaz

From Christchurch, Dorset
Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

I am growing these for the first time this year, started from seed a while back and now in 5" pots in the greenhouse.

Each plant is about 4" high now maybe bigger, from reading on a few other forums I think I will eventually put them in flower buckets.

I hope they are successful as really like them and no one sells them by me anymore (Waitrose was the only one selling and they stopped).

I have about 12 plants, do you get a lot of peppers of each plant?

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 29 May 10 9:43pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

For anyone in the US who is interested (not sure if you can order them in Canada and Mexico or not) both Renee's Garden and Johnny's seed co has them.  Probably a little late to be starting from seeds but next year.

I just looked in my Johnny's Seed catalog, and they have  a great pic of the peppers.  I was wondering what they were like.  Interesting that they say that all the peppers on the plant will turn hot if left on there until they are 2 - 3 inches long!  Evidently they have to be picked at the 1 - 1 1/2 inch stage.
hmm

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 29 May 10 9:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I love Jose Andres' show Eddie.  He has a top-rated restaurant in D.C. and lives here.  The kitchen segments are filmed here, I think at his home which looks like a spiffy ultra-modern space.  I'd love to see the rest, but I won't be stalking the poor man at his home!

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 29 May 10 10:25pm

steviehg

From Essex
Member since Fri 11 Sep 09

Hi Salanddaz, we had a brilliant crop in the greenhouse from 6 or so plants which cropped right up to the 1st bit of cold in December, we had so many I was getting complaints of "not padron peppers again....", whose seeds did you use? we had good results from Mr Fothergills. Cheers,  Steve

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 30 May 10 12:24am

salanddaz

From Christchurch, Dorset
Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

steviehg wrote:

Hi Salanddaz, we had a brilliant crop in the greenhouse from 6 or so plants which cropped right up to the 1st bit of cold in December, we had so many I was getting complaints of "not padron peppers again....", whose seeds did you use? we had good results from Mr Fothergills. Cheers,  Steve

Hi Steve,

Sounds good, I should have quite a few then from 12 plants!!  May have to give them away if I can't them quick enough.

I used Mr Fothergills as well, what size pots did your plants end up in?

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 30 May 10 12:52am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Salanddaz, I am still working on getting a good crop! The three things I have worked out is:
good food (fertilizer) so they blossom well,
insect pollination,
and then the more you pick the more they will fruit.
Good luck! smile

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 30 May 10 4:51am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
From Northern California

MsPablo wrote:

I love Jose Andres' show Eddie.  He has a top-rated restaurant in D.C. and lives here.  The kitchen segments are filmed here, I think at his home which looks like a spiffy ultra-modern space.  I'd love to see the rest, but I won't be stalking the poor man at his home!

Why not, I would.  It's a good thing I don't live in NYC, Rocco De Spirito would have me behind bars in a minute! lol

But back to the topic, Jim brought the pedron plants to the house today and they're out in the garden enjoying the sun instead of living in the shade of giant redwood trees.

Likes (0)